Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 10-19-2017, 01:48 PM

VR to come in RFX?

Will the upcoming update to RFX include VR capability like RF8?

I know the resolution in the current generation VR (I have Rift) is not great, but I do enjoy VR in the 'Next' heli simulation, shame that the physics are not the best in Next.

Nigel
Old 10-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Knife Edge Software Owner

We are working on it right now.

Advance Warning: You will need a very powerful machine to run VR in RF-X.

Jim
Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke View Post
We are working on it right now.

Advance Warning: You will need a very powerful machine to run VR in RF-X.

Jim
Jim,

Thanks! Can you say what system components you recommend for best performance that would help us judge our system to the recommended system.

1. What CPU
2. Amount of Memory
3. What Video Card
4. What SSD

And do you overclock any of them?

HELP: I don't have VR but I will say both RF-8 and RF-X have me interested in them. So since I've never used them except once in BestBuy I assume from your statements that VR slows down a system beyond just RF-X SO .. My system is below, what would you change for the best performance for VR in RF-X. And is it good enough for VR in RF-8 the way it is.

32 GIG RAM
MSI 1070
950 PRO M.2 SSD

AND OF COURSE the latest question. Does RF-8 and RF-X support the NEW Samsung VR?

Gary
Old 10-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Gary, I'm sorry I don't have a lot of information to share but if you want to play with VR in RF-X go for an Nvidia 1080, not a 1070.

Jim
Old 10-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Also probably best to wait a little bit so we can give you some test results before you make a purchase.

Jim
Old 10-19-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Gary, I'm sorry I don't have a lot of information to share but if you want to play with VR in RF-X go for an Nvidia 1080, not a 1070.

Jim
Thanks Jim.. I've regretted buying the 1070 since the first time I played RF-X with it I should have spent the extra money on the 1080. But right now I'm waiting for the NVIDIA Volta to be released and then I'll upgrade again, it should be faster than the 1080ti. I'm hoping the second Volta card down will be as fast as the 1080ti and I'll go for it if it's much lower cost than the top version like they usually are.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
AND OF COURSE the latest question. Does RF-8 and RF-X support the NEW Samsung VR?
Quote:
Also probably best to wait a little bit so we can give you some test results before you make a purchase.

Jim
Same question here. I think my 1070 will be up to doing VR in RF-8... but I'm keen to purchase a higher resolution set like the Samsung rather than the Rift or Vive.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post
Same question here. I think my 1070 will be up to doing VR in RF-8... but I'm keen to purchase a higher resolution set like the Samsung rather than the Rift or Vive.
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much with a 1070. Considering how poorly the program runs I would go with the 1080/1080ti.

I also like how they are now telling people to wait to see what it takes to power VR on RFX. Wish they could have been more accurate with the system requirements before releasing RFX and then finding out that optimal was borderline at best.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdriver5150 View Post
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much with a 1070. Considering how poorly the program runs I would go with the 1080/1080ti.

I also like how they are now telling people to wait to see what it takes to power VR on RFX. Wish they could have been more accurate with the system requirements before releasing RFX and then finding out that optimal was borderline at best.
Stringfellow is talking about RF8 in his comment. a 1070 should work fine for that version of Realflight.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Stringfellow is talking about RF8 in his comment. a 1070 should work fine for that version of Realflight.
My mistake, that should be more than enough.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 PM

Vr

[QUOTE=technoid;281124]Jim,

Thanks! Can you say what system components you recommend for best performance that would help us judge our system to the recommended system.

As a vr user, this is actually very easy to calculate. For smooth performance and to minimize vr sickness you need 90 frames a sec. Now, there is more to it, but 90 fps is the goal to shoot for.

Keep in mind, while you may be getting 90 fps in rfx right now, when it goes to vr, it has to send an image to each eye. Depending on how realflight does this, it could cut your framerate in half or it could be almost as fast as a single image render.

One thing that will help is if Asycronous Time Warp (a feature of oculus rift) works with this product. Realflight can go as low as 45 frames a sec and oculus will do the rest to give you a 'decent experience'

This is a very broad explanation, but does give a user an idea if vr will work on their system.

Hope this helps in some way. I am personally looking forward to realflight 8 and plan on buying it day one for the VR support. I will also pick up RFX if I can ever run it full speed, but I don't think my system is up for the task.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickster View Post
As a vr user, this is actually very easy to calculate. For smooth performance and to minimize vr sickness you need 90 frames a sec. Now, there is more to it, but 90 fps is the goal to shoot for.

Keep in mind, while you may be getting 90 fps in rfx right now, when it goes to vr, it has to send an image to each eye. Depending on how realflight does this, it could cut your framerate in half or it could be almost as fast as a single image render.
I'm getting 500 - 700 fps right now in 7.5 in the photofields so that should be plenty of headroom for VR.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Administrator

As mickster touched on above, we need to render the scene twice, once for each eye. That obviously involves additional overhead. It's not as simple as, say, cutting the current framerate in half as an estimate though, for various reasons--including the fact that the dimensions of the viewport are different for VR goggles than for a standard display.

As Jim said, it would be best to wait until we are farther along and have tested on some different configurations before making any purchasing decisions related to VR support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post
I'm getting 500 - 700 fps right now in 7.5 in the photofields so that should be plenty of headroom for VR.
Assuming you're talking about RF8, yes, you should be in great shape. Though it's also good to keep in mind that the Rift in particular imposes additional requirements in the form of quantity and speed of USB ports.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
As mickster touched on above, we need to render the scene twice, once for each eye. That obviously involves additional overhead. It's not as simple as, say, cutting the current framerate in half as an estimate though, for various reasons--including the fact that the dimensions of the viewport are different for VR goggles than for a standard display.

As Jim said, it would be best to wait until we are farther along and have tested on some different configurations before making any purchasing decisions related to VR support.

Assuming you're talking about RF8, yes, you should be in great shape. Though it's also good to keep in mind that the Rift in particular imposes additional requirements in the form of quantity and speed of USB ports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
As you would expect, higher resolution displays will naturally put more demand on the computer running the software, just as a standard higher resolution computer monitor would. It's too soon to get specific about exactly what kinds of cards will run which kinds of headsets that aren't out yet. We will definitely keep an eye on developments in the VR space as new products are released.

To get a little more technical, we support the Oculus Rift by interfacing with their software, and we support the HTC Vive via OpenVR. While we haven't tested any other headsets, theoretically anything that supports OpenVR will work with RealFlight 8.

I just contacted Samsung support and they confirmed that the HMD Odessey is a "Mixed Reality" platform and therefore does support OpenVR

This bodes well, but as advised I will wait to make a purchase. The prospect of my Realflight sim in VR has me struggling to keep money from leaping out of my wallet.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:32 PM

Question. I know VR uses hand controllers for games so the speed of the USB ports would be important for that, but does VR for RF-8 or RF-X require any hand controllers? I ask because I don't play any new games these days so a VR setup would only be for flying in RealFlight. Or does VR in general require you to plug in hand controllers?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: