Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Knife Edge Software Owner

Update on the patch timing

Hey everyone, as I think most of you know we are working on a patch for RF-X.

We still think we can get the patch out by the end of the year but we've gotten into some VR testing and I have news. The good news is that it looks absolutely amazing. The bad news is that it takes a ridiculously high end machine to get good frame rates. An Nvidia 1060 or 1070 will not cut it. Even the 1080 struggles.

We need a bit more time to work with it to see what we can do but at this point I think the cold hard reality is that RF 8 is a much better choice for VR and it will probably stay that way for awhile. Headset resolution will probably grow faster than video card horsepower can keep up with.

Sorry I don't have better news but I wanted to share what I know because I'm sure a lot of you are trying to plan out your purchases for the holiday season.

Jim
Old 10-25-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke View Post

We still think we can get the patch out by the end of the year but we've gotten into some VR testing and I have news. The good news is that it looks absolutely amazing. The bad news is that it takes a ridiculously high end machine to get good frame rates. An Nvidia 1060 or 1070 will not cut it. Even the 1080 struggles.

We need a bit more time to work with it to see what we can do but at this point I think the cold hard reality is that RF 8 is a much better choice for VR and it will probably stay that way for awhile. Headset resolution will probably grow faster than video card horsepower can keep up with.

Sorry I don't have better news but I wanted to share what I know because I'm sure a lot of you are trying to plan out your purchases for the holiday season.

Jim
Thanks for sharing that Jim, yeah not great news but to me I want to know so thanks! I think the NVIDIA Volta graphics cards are really going to help RF-X when they finally ship them and I plan on getting one as soon as I can.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks for sharing that Jim, yeah not great news but to me I want to know so thanks! I think the NVIDIA Volta graphics cards are really going to help RF-X when they finally ship them and I plan on getting one as soon as I can.
guys i should have held off on the 1080 TI, but it sure works great with X hard to imagine the 1080TI wont work with VR in X.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaMMeR991 View Post
guys i should have held off on the 1080 TI, but it sure works great with X hard to imagine the 1080TI wont work with VR in X.
The top NVIDIA Volta card will be faster than the 1080ti but I imagine the second level card will be about the same speed, so I think you're fine with the 1080ti.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:01 PM

What are the specs of your test rig? I have a 1080ti, a 7700k and 16gb ram and was planning on purchasing a VR setup around the first of next year. I was also considering another pc upgrade to the new 8700k and a z370 motherboard for some additional CPU cores. If a single 1080ti isn't good enough I might just invest in a new video card instead if the CPU can handle it. Either a 2080 gpu when it's finally released or I could get another 1080ti for sli, which would be my last resort.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

Jim
Jim

How about you give those who bought into the RFX nightmare an option of trading in for RF8 that will actually work.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
What are the specs of your test rig? I have a 1080ti, a 7700k and 16gb ram and was planning on purchasing a VR setup around the first of next year. I was also considering another pc upgrade to the new 8700k and a z370 motherboard for some additional CPU cores. If a single 1080ti isn't good enough I might just invest in a new video card instead if the CPU can handle it. Either a 2080 gpu when it's finally released or I could get another 1080ti for sli, which would be my last resort.
I have a 4ghz ( clocked at 4.5 ) I7 6700 32 gigs of ram. MSI main board ( Z170A SLI Plus ) 1080ti which it will overclock with no problem using afterburner, but I have no reason to do so......at least not yet
Old 10-25-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaMMeR991 View Post
I'm not a VR guy but I'm interested in it for RealFlight so I've started doing some reading on it. It seems like they're saying that VR headsets need 90 fps to really run smooth and not cause you to get sick watching it so if that's correct that's the problem with VR and RF-X because that's the equivalent of 180 fps, which is pretty high for RF-X even at a lower resolution. So you VR guys straighten me out if I'm wrong. So RF-X might even need the next generation processor to get the frame rate up too.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdriver5150 View Post
Jim

How about you give those who bought into the RFX nightmare an option of trading in for RF8 that will actually work.

.......agree
Old 10-26-2017, 09:38 PM

I agree, let RFX owners trade to RF8. Would anyone buy RFX if they knew RF8 was coming out?
Old 10-27-2017, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5valvethumper View Post
I agree, let RFX owners trade to RF8. Would anyone buy RFX if they knew RF8 was coming out?
For the life of my I cannot figure out why they even released RFX and no I would not have bought it if I knew rf8 was coming. Just seeing the teaser video of VR on the photo field made me so jealous and also made me realize how awful the 3d fields look in rfx.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Jim
thanks for the status of the update, by the end of the year sounds great.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:12 PM

At least give us computer specs as close as you can so we at least know if we should wait or not, been waiting a long time for RF to fix X. Could you please look at my specs and tell me maybe or no way?
Thanks,
LeeU

* Oculus Rift CV1

* Cooler Master HAF XB EVO V2, High Flow Cube, 1 Ea 200MM, 5 Ea 120mm, 2 Ea 80mm fans

* CORSAIR AXi series AX1200i 1200W Digital Power Supply v2.31 and EPS 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified FullModular

* MSI X99A GAMING 7 LGA 2011-v3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

* Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75930K Desktop Processor

* MSI GEFORCE GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G

* Asus Essence STX II 7.1 124dB SNR Muse equipped Audiophile Sound Card

* Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX High Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 280mm

* Dominator Platinum Series 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit

* LG 16x Blu Ray/DVD/CD/M Disc Burner Writer Drive + 3D play back

* SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 500GB SATA III Internal SSD

* Corsair Mini Commander Fan Controller

* 3 Each SEGATE 3TB Sata 6GB/s 64MB Cache 3.5"

* NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion

* Akasa 3.1 USB AK-HC-07BK USB Front Pannel
Old 10-29-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdriver5150 View Post
Jim

+ 1 this would be nice.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmccurdy25 View Post
+ 1 this would be nice.
and something that will Never happen. The profit they made form You and others will be used for a new RFX Patch that will be out soon.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: