Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:56 AM

Question What happened to RF-X? Why the abandonment?

I bought RF-X in May. Now I’ve purchased RF8 here in October. RF-X wouldn’t take any expansion packs’ but RF8 does. $20.00 Gift cert? What gives, Knifedge??????

I’ll bet there’s a back-story to this that only knife edge exec’s can explain........

Old 10-28-2017, 01:42 PM

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32735
Old 10-29-2017, 06:56 AM

Its called keeping your company alive. I would rather they rethink their development strategy then stick to their original plan as the software gets a bad reputation and the company goes under.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:33 AM

Keep on Keeping on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianappjj View Post
Its called keeping your company alive. I would rather they rethink their development strategy then stick to their original plan as the software gets a bad reputation and the company goes under.
Well then Brianappj, you and your blind loyalty and your hard-earned dollars just keep on keeping Knifeedge alive.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfan View Post
Well then Brianappj, you and your blind loyalty and your hard-earned dollars just keep on keeping Knifeedge alive.
I strongly disagree with that sentiment. MY loyalty ISN'T blind. I didn't support RF-X because I couldn't tolerate/afford the insane video card requirement. And I bitched PLENTY about it here. If they can optimize RF-X to run on something less than an EXTREME gaming machine, they might have a winner. But KE seems to have learned their lesson. They didn't abandon us. And IMHO, RF8 (and KE) deserves our support. It runs very well on a more typical consumer-grade PC.

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 10-29-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfan View Post

I am still on ver5 so I haven't done much to keep them alive so I don't deserve that compliment. Would you rather then never re evaluate their strategy and just keep going the RFX road to CH11? Widespread user reports of bad performance, software returns, a bad reputation starting to develop are all signs that an adjustment is in order. When buying early in a new product you take some risk, I have an HD DVD drive to prove that.
Even MS isn't arrogant enough to stick with a product plan despite user complaints. The XBOX ONE was supposed to be all digital, no DVD drive, and pack a kinect sensor in every box. They went back on all of that when the user base widely complained. I passed on RFX because from user reports I wouldn't be able to run it. Now I have an upgrade option with RF8 and if I get into VR it will be a no brainier. Since I don't have a VR system I won't be getting into RF8 yet.
Everyone must admit they NEED to have a product on hobby store shelves that the average system will be able to run acceptably and be a good user experience. RFX isn't that.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
Quote:
Everyone must admit they NEED to have a product on hobby store shelves that the average system will be able to run acceptably and be a good user experience. RFX isn't that.
I agree. From my personal experience, RF-8 IS that. It has some bugs, as I expect from ALL newly released software. But nothing that seems to be a show stopper.

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 10-29-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
they only care about money just like most of us. correct. like where is the upgrade for 7.5 users to 8? I don't see it?
Old 11-03-2017, 09:55 AM

There is not an upgrade. There is a $20 store coupon that is available.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobma View Post
they only care about money just like most of us. correct. like where is the upgrade for 7.5 users to 8? I don't see it?
I don't believe the upgrades have ever been free when the main release number goes up. Only the .5 upgrades. I'm sure we will see a free 8 to 8.5 at some point. RF-X is a work in progress but I don't think they've given up on it. I sold mine soon after I bought it and decided to wait for PC tech to be cheaper to run it.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:15 AM

I Believe the Proper Terminology is:
UpDate= 7.0-7.5. Updated within Product line = Free
UpGrade =7.0/7.5 - 8.0/8.(x) = New Product Line = Sold seperately

Last edited by adrenoline 60; 11-03-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:12 PM

Look at FSX for an example. it came out in 2006. it took 10 years for an affordable machine capable of running it on full graphics optimization to come out.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:12 PM

Yikes.. I cannot put up with 10 years of the wolves griping about the software.

BTW. I love X-Plane 11
Old 11-04-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Yikes.. I cannot put up with 10 years of the wolves griping about the software.

BTW. I love X-Plane 11
oh and by now it's incompatible with modern machines.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

Just to keep 12oclock happy I thought I had better chime in.

Silence speaks volumes and I have not heard a peep from the boys at knife edge and I don't believe we will. Again, there was never a need to create RFX and then follow it up with the same old and leave every RFX owner with a dud. I have said, RF 7.75 is the exact same as 7.5 but added VR. I can appreciate that but my god, the addition of extra blade thumping on the helis (which should have been added years ago) is sold as a upgrade?? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING oh and the glorious photo fields from 10 years ago, BRILLIANT!

Its the same old software with a couple tweaks and sound files. Give it a fancy new package, throw in VR and suck everybody in who bit on RFX and found out all on their own it's a absolute mess. Now they can buy a shiny new copy of RF 7.75 and have all the same old fields, models and so on, OH but don't forget the new sounds....What a laugh.

Shame on you KnifeEdge. Either compensate the RFX owners appropriately for a chance at "UPGRADING" (and I use that term loosely) to 7.75 or just fess up and tell us it was a huge mistake and we are basically screwed.

Last edited by viperdriver5150; 11-04-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: