Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:26 PM

I bought into RF-X and was led to believe it was the next generation of RF. I would happily buy RF-8 but feel that KnifeEdge slighted its RF-X customers by not offering a reasonable upgrade path. RF-X was an abomination compared to version 7.x. While graphically stunning it was a turd. While I am happy they came to their senses and developed 8, it is unfair for me to eat their mistakes. KnifeEdge told me that if I was unhappy with X I can simply uninstall it. I have a very hard time supporting this company for this reason. I really wanted 8 in the first place. I have purchased every version of RF since its creation. Shame on you KnifeEdge!!!!!!!

Last edited by dj207; 11-15-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:01 PM

2 products - both staying

RF-X and RF-8 are two products. A version that requires high end resources and the original product that does not need as much computing power.

We are soon to see a RFX update. By the end of the year. I would say just hang on for this release. If you are really into gaming, RF-X is your version.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
RF-X and RF-8 are two products. A version that requires high end resources and the original product that does not need as much computing power.

We are soon to see a RFX update. By the end of the year. I would say just hang on for this release. If you are really into gaming, RF-X is your version.
I love fact RFX requires high end resources and the ridiculous 3d fields still look like something in a sim 8 years ago, and what a variety, you can choose desert desert or green field with not one extra thing on it..

It was sure nice to see KnifeEdge spend some extra time on 7.75 to give the end users a whole new experience...OH WAIT that was RFX and yes it still sucks...
Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 PM

This explains a lot

Quote:
Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code the (Lanterman–Petris–Short Act or "LPS") which authorizes a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person suspected to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to themselves, a danger to others, and/or gravely disabled.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:12 PM

People who are complaining about RF8 are few and far between. Everyone I have talked to who has tried it prefer it over 7.5. Physics are different, for the better. Helicopters and planes fly better than in 7.5. This is worth the price of the upgrade. The poly limit being raised almost 5 fold for content creators is HUGE. definitely makes it worth the upgrade. Then there is the VR.... Also worth it for 99 bucks and less if you use a coupon, I had a 15% coupon from tower. Then there are the multirotors from the Drone Edition and their flight controllers we have access to in the editor. I definitely want to play around with those controllers in unorthodox aircraft to see what they can and can't do...

To say it's a 7.75 upgrade is just a uninformed comment since it is definitely much more than that. Just as 5 was different from 4.5 and 6 was different from 5.5 etc....
Old 11-17-2017, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
This explains a lot
AND HIS LIGHT BULB TURNED ON! That took long enough...LOL
Old 11-17-2017, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
People who are complaining about RF8 are few and far between. Everyone I have talked to who has tried it prefer it over 7.5. Physics are different, for the better. Helicopters and planes fly better than in 7.5. This is worth the price of the upgrade. The poly limit being raised almost 5 fold for content creators is HUGE. definitely makes it worth the upgrade. Then there is the VR.... Also worth it for 99 bucks and less if you use a coupon, I had a 15% coupon from tower. Then there are the multirotors from the Drone Edition and their flight controllers we have access to in the editor. I definitely want to play around with those controllers in unorthodox aircraft to see what they can and can't do...

To say it's a 7.75 upgrade is just a uninformed comment since it is definitely much more than that. Just as 5 was different from 4.5 and 6 was different from 5.5 etc....
I get drones are the hot thing right now but I would bet the majority of people are not buying this software for drones. Not to mention all the controllers and settings are so different with every drone out there.

As for physics, you could go back to any version and say this was better than that or 6 was better than 4 but the same as 5 but 5.5 felt different and 6.5 felt more like 7.75 feels now. Get the point? Either way they all have the same photo fields and you think KnifeEdge could pull up their big boy pants and capture some new images to make it seem like a new sim but my god they can't even do that.

At the end of the day other than VR you are buying a copy of 7.5 in 7.75 packaging with a couple bells and whistles. But lets not forget, after 12oClock and all the others went on and on about RFX is the future and we should embrace it and do what it takes to run it as companies cannot be expected to support old tech forever and that's exactly what they are doing. RFX is not the future of sims and never will be. KnifeEdge will just keep adding a new number to RF and milk it to the grave and RFX will be a distant memory.

I can just see it "RF 12 is the future" as we have added new wheel pants to select models that we have had for the last 12 years and carbon fiber control rods. WHOOOPIEEE OH and a new corn cob pipe for the alligator air boat.

Last edited by viperdriver5150; 11-17-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:51 AM

Just got the tower catalog today. A two page spread for RF8 and nothing about RFX anywhere. I think that alone should tell you they aren't going forward with RFX. I have no doubt a .5 is on the way and they will continue with updates for bugs but I think it is clear that will be the end. I wouldn't call that leaving RFX users high and dry though. ALL recent previous version received a free .5 a year later then required users to pay for the next years major release. They simply overshot the computing power in use at release, resurrected and updated the RF 7 code base and came out with RF8.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:19 AM

Well, just my two cents. RFX or RF8 or whatever, this whole process is called evolution, It`s been going on since the advent of computers and computer components, whatever pcs. and parts they may be. It has plagued us with cell phones digital cameras, computers, TV's and on and on, anything that has to do with electronics technology and there growth / evolution, EXAMPLE : cameras and phones, tv`s for instance, since there introduction, my wife has had to get every new version (which, usually came out every 6 month`s or so, more memory, more pixels, more power etc., etc, blah blah blah. It`s all something that has been going on since the stone age, it`s called evolution. Are they holding out on us, do they have the technology to advance RFX, who knows, that`s the business of knife edge, and how they want to steer their ship, be into an iceberg or not. Every company has their "EDSEL" (look it up, for those of you that don`t know, it was a flop) Give it time. because, that`s what it has always taken. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 AM

All of the above may or may not be true. I do not think KE did anything but try to advance the state of the art with RF-X. RC modeling is RC modeling. What are you really going to add that was not already in RF7.5? KE responded to being hammered all year about this that and other. Now they are being hammered about responding in a positive manner. Gees guys, give them a break, at least until you have a chance to see the other foot drop. KE is a great small business...always has been.

I have never received anything from KE, so my opinion is my own alone.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdriver5150 View Post
As for physics, you could go back to any version and say this was better than that or 6 was better than 4 but the same as 5 but 5.5 felt different and 6.5 felt more like 7.75 feels now. Get the point?
Physics are the whole point though. They've been trying to replicate real flying from RF's inception... so yes, the physics tweeks are bound to be small. But to anyone whose serious about RC flying, those differences are important. For example, I stuck with g5.5 for real practice right up until 8 came out, and only used 7.5 for multiplayer.
So maybe those differences are lost on you... maybe you'd just as soon use g4.5 (low point for RF physics). And maybe you don't care for the drones. They're interesting... especially the 3d one. And maybe there are no new fields... I haven't actually checked because I don't care. Give me a clear open field with objects off and I'll train to FLY.
Maybe I'll start to appreciate the 3d fields with objects more because... OH YEAH, there's VR now!
RF-8 is every bit a new generation... just as much as every previous generation has been. It's evolution, not revolution.

I get what you're saying about RFx. It's certainly not the indespensible training tool of the day. But hey, it's a generation 1 product. Give it some time. In any case, I don't see the point of bashing a (small) company which has stayed on top of the sim market with vastly superior products... even if it turns out they did misstep while venturing into something new.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:09 PM

I have been a Real Flight User for some time. I have been a software developer for nearly 40 years. RF consistently delivers high quality functional software. Incremental improvements in a robust, complex piece of software take a great deal of effort especially when you are working with physics engines and the emulation of any real world activity. What may seem like a relatively small improvement to an end user takes a great deal of effort not only to code the improvement but to do it in such a way that it doesn't break or have any adverse affects on other functionality. RF8, to me, is worth every penny of the software price to upgrade.

I trust that there will be further work on RFX as the new platform for future development. It is a bold and enormous undertaking to change the base engine of the software and basically start from scratch. I wouldn't expect RFX, as a new platform and product completely, to be anywhere near as robust and full featured as the current line of products. I'm sure the excellent development staff at Knife Edge will continue to build on that platform and fully believe that over time it will become an awesome product.

Just my two cents...

Jim
Old 11-29-2017, 09:12 PM

Ill just sit on my cash for now.

RF X was a huge blowup, and this, in my mind, is a money grab from KE.

I paid $160 for 7.5 a few years ago, and see NO value added to spend another $99 (screw the mail in rebate crap. offer it for $79 to start with)
Old 11-30-2017, 10:35 AM

Flag thrown... 15yards for piling on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: