Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 12-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelR View Post
I am also getting poor performance in VR mode. I get 90 fps in photo airfields, but as soon as I go to 3D airfields it drops to 45fps.

If I check the machine load (in VR 3D Fields) using MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner, the stats show that the graphics card is running below half load and the CPU is running at about 12%.

Is the VR performance being limited because RF8 is a single core/threaded application?

The machine is a AMD1700x(@3.6GHz)/GTX1080ti/16Gb ram, In RFX the GPU maxes out but again with a low CPU usage, in AccuRC the CPU usage is about 50% (4 cores in use).

Nigel
We expect better performance given your system specs. I wonder if AMD doesn't run our software as well as the competition?

We have a Ryzen laptop here in the office. It doesn't quite match yours for specs, but it should still be a good test. We will try it out when we get a chance.

In the meantime, is anyone else running on an AMD processor? We would like to hear your results.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:14 PM

Talking Smashing VR

I can say an I7 6700K Oc'd to an easy 4.6Ghz and a GTX 1080Ti OC edition with built in OC is smashing VR,

I have also gone totally wireless with the HTC Vive TPCast and the RF SLT wireless dongle and the cheappie TTX 810. This Radio is perfect to bash around in a sim.

This adds an amazing level of immersion that I only dreamt about months ago.

I cant wait to see what we can do with RFX in VR! Hurry up with the update please!

Thanks Ryan for the best SIMs
Old 12-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
In the meantime, is anyone else running on an AMD processor? We would like to hear your results.
I am running an AMD FX-8350 with a Radeon R9 290X. 2D works fine, of course, with FPS in the hundreds. When using the Oculus, I can't get to 90 FPS unless I set graphics quality to 'low' and VR quality to 'medium'.

Interestingly, the various Oculus games I have run well. and SteamVR gives a score of 6.9 with no frames below 90 FPS (see attachment). I would expect better performance than the i3-7100 and GTX 1050 Ti (that you posted here: https://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32853) but it seems to not be the case.

Regards,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteamVR results.jpg (76.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by jgsteven; 12-16-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Fixed attachment
Old 12-19-2017, 02:50 PM

I'm running an R9 Fury X graphics card, AMD processor 8 core, 16 GB ram, can't get 90 FPS only 24 when running graphics on medium, and VR set high! No jOy! I bet you a hundred dollars its only using one of my cores

jason

Last edited by jasond; 12-19-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:25 PM

Ok went home to make sure what I'm running specs of machine
Windows 10.0
AMD 8350 eight core 4.GH
Memory 16GB
AMD R9 Fury X

Graphics set to medium
VR Quality high

What I'm getting at Japanese Temple is around 30FPS Unflyable I can run other VR games and they are doing around 90 FPS no problem.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:51 PM

I don't think RF8 uses more than two cores so having more may do nothing extra. I can get 90 FPS on my Dell All-in-one running photofields and oculus hardware. Not so good on 3D fields .. locks in at 45 if I'm lucky.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Administrator

I don't think we've had a chance to test our in-house Ryzen processor, with an impending RF-X early access beta and the holidays. But the above lends some further credence to the idea that there may be some AMD compatibility issues.

We welcome additional data--whether corroborating or conflicting--from other AMD users. Please speak up and let us know your experience!
Old 01-07-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelR View Post
I am also getting poor performance in VR mode. I get 90 fps in photo airfields, but as soon as I go to 3D airfields it drops to 45fps.

If I check the machine load (in VR 3D Fields) using MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner, the stats show that the graphics card is running below half load and the CPU is running at about 12%.

Is the VR performance being limited because RF8 is a single core/threaded application?

The machine is a AMD1700x(@3.6GHz)/GTX1080ti/16Gb ram, In RFX the GPU maxes out but again with a low CPU usage, in AccuRC the CPU usage is about 50% (4 cores in use).

Nigel
Hi Nigel, I was getting the same, however I do have a 6 core i7 6850k and SLI 1080ti, I thought this was silly until I tried turning off the SLI. I'm now getting the 90 fps I should be however a single thread on my processor is almost maxing out. so that is a bottleneck, the single 1080 ti isn't even sweating.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:47 AM

Hi All,
I've had RF8 for a bit over a week and trying to figure out how to get the audio to work in my Rift. As soon as I put on the headset the audio cuts out from the computer speakers and nothing happens in Rift headset. If I switch out to the Oculus home the ambient noise comes back for that and if I switch back to RF8 still nothing. Pulling off headset will reset the view on monitor but the audio will not come back until I restart RF8. I've pulled up windows control panel for editing the output of audio and I can see the meter moving for the PC speakers when they are working, but nothing is registering on the rift or PC speakers (or anything else like monitor) once the headset is active. is there a debug console or something I can pull up to see where the audio path is going once Rift is active?
Thanks for any help.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:23 PM

Cannot Connect laptop to 4K UHD TV

I need some expert advice on how to connect my laptop to my Vizio 70" tv for a larger view. I have been enjoying the simulator on my laptop while the USB 2.0 to HDMI adapter shipped. It arrived tonight and upon connecting it to HDMI 3 on the TV onto the usb on the laptop the screen goes black on the laptop and the TV states not connected. Can someone help me?

Thank you
Old 01-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLAL View Post
Hi All,
I've had RF8 for a bit over a week and trying to figure out how to get the audio to work in my Rift. As soon as I put on the headset the audio cuts out from the computer speakers and nothing happens in Rift headset. If I switch out to the Oculus home the ambient noise comes back for that and if I switch back to RF8 still nothing. Pulling off headset will reset the view on monitor but the audio will not come back until I restart RF8. I've pulled up windows control panel for editing the output of audio and I can see the meter moving for the PC speakers when they are working, but nothing is registering on the rift or PC speakers (or anything else like monitor) once the headset is active. is there a debug console or something I can pull up to see where the audio path is going once Rift is active?
Thanks for any help.
When you put on the headset we switch to the output device the rift tells us to use. When the headset is removed we switch back to the windows default output device. In testing we saw one case where the rifts audio drivers got installed incorrectly, and in that case the machine never had any audio go though the rift speakers. Do you get sound in other applications with your rift? To fix it we had to reinstall the Oculus App on that computer to get it working.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I need some expert advice on how to connect my laptop to my Vizio 70" tv for a larger view. I have been enjoying the simulator on my laptop while the USB 2.0 to HDMI adapter shipped. It arrived tonight and upon connecting it to HDMI 3 on the TV onto the usb on the laptop the screen goes black on the laptop and the TV states not connected. Can someone help me?

Thank you
Turn on "Game Mode" on your TV... otherwise you may experience input lag from the TV's internal processing.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty E-D View Post
When you put on the headset we switch to the output device the rift tells us to use. When the headset is removed we switch back to the windows default output device. In testing we saw one case where the rifts audio drivers got installed incorrectly, and in that case the machine never had any audio go though the rift speakers. Do you get sound in other applications with your rift? To fix it we had to reinstall the Oculus App on that computer to get it working.
So the only way I can get the audio to come through the rift for Real flight is to open up windows sound controls and set the Rift speakers to the default device. I also set the Oculus software to use Windows default device rather than its speakers. For anything else in VR or windows I don't have this issue. I leave my PC sound speakers as the default and I leave oculus software in default. Any other program I start up in VR automatically switches from PC speakers to the Oculus headphone speakers.
It's quite a pain to set this up each time I use Real Flight. As a side note I installed Oculus beta software to try it and it does the same thing as the regular software.
I emailed the support but they said the problem was to difficult to trouble shoot without calling in. I just have not had time to make that call, I think the hours were limited to east coast time zone too.

Last edited by SirLAL; 02-09-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:21 AM

Your RF8 audio problem does not occur with my Windows Mixed Reality headset (Dell) using steamvr windows mixed reality beta. Sorry, but this probably may not help you. However, it may indicate that your issue(s) may be due to your Oculus and/or Windows settings.

Good luck sorting this out.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLAL View Post
So the only way I can get the audio to come through the rift for Real flight is to open up windows sound controls and set the Rift speakers to the default device. I also set the Oculus software to use Windows default device rather than its speakers. For anything else in VR or windows I don't have this issue. I leave my PC sound speakers as the default and I leave oculus software in default. Any other program I start up in VR automatically switches from PC speakers to the Oculus headphone speakers.
It's quite a pain to set this up each time I use Real Flight. As a side note I installed Oculus beta software to try it and it does the same thing as the regular software.
I emailed the support but they said the problem was to difficult to trouble shoot without calling in. I just have not had time to make that call, I think the hours were limited to east coast time zone too.

No you should not have to switch your default device to the rift, The software asks the rift what its audio device is and switches to it when you put the headset on, and then switches back to the windows default device when you take the headset off. So it should work best if you have your Windows default device set to your PC Speakers. Considering it works in other VR applications it sounds like a bug. Can you give us more information about your setup? To do so please follow the steps in this thread.

I should note that SteamVR works differently, SteamVR handles audio switching though their application, and you need to pick which audio outputs you want to switch to if any.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: