Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Heli Throttle Curve

I am just getting back into the RC hobby after a 20-year hiatus. I picked up a copy of RealFlight 8 with the InterLink-X controller and I am testing everything out.

On all of the helis I find the throttle goes from 0 to 100% in a click or two at the bottom of the throttle. I was recently at the local field watching the guys fly and I watched the throttle as the guys with the nitro helis increased them. I noticed that they were set to throttle up from idle slowly to be at 100% around 40% of the stick movement.

I checked the throttle under channel 3 and I see that it has a graph with a curve. It looks to me like it should be a smoother process rather than a one tick move to full throttle. Am I missing something or is there a flaw in the setup?

Thanks,

Murray
Old 11-17-2017, 05:38 PM

Help us out, what copter are you referring to? Each copter has it’s own curve.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:02 PM

I have only tried 3. The KDE 700, Rave 90 ENV Electric FBL and the Huey. All 3 are at idle and then one click up on the throttle stick and they go to full throttle.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 PM

have you calibrated the controller? left most menu drop down top of screen.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:44 PM

I calibrated the controller twice. I didn't realize at first I needed to do that but during my first flight I was unable to apply enough trim to get a plane to fly straight and hunted that process down.

I did find that the controller seemed to drift a bit after my first few flights and calibrated it a second time. It seems stable now, but even immediately after calibration I still have the problem with the heli throttle.

Just to be sure I did another calibration now. Same thing... throttle at the bottom and idle. One click up and it picks up just a few RPM, one more click and it goes to full throttle.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:05 PM

I would contact tech support... sounds like a defective left stick to me. See the link in the bar at the top of each forum page.

Make sure channel 8 switch is down and away from you. This controls the idle up1 and 2 modes.

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 11-17-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:38 PM

Yes, I have the idle up switch off. That works fine.

Seems odd that it would be the stick... it works perfectly on fixed wing engines, which is why I figured that there was some software setting that wasn't right. I will call tech support next week and see what their thoughts are and post anything I find.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Calibration and controller hardware were my initial suspicions as well. But it sounds like you're saying things work perfectly when flying airplanes, which would seem to rule that out.

You can further confirm the simulator is seeing the inputs you intend by turning on the Radio gadget. The on-screen radio will show exactly what it thinks the sticks and other controls on your InterLink are doing. If the throttle/collective stick input really is changing like you describe, it will be visible there. On the other hand, if the stick displayed on screen matches the position of the physical stick on your InterLink-X at all times, regardless of what the heli motor is doing, then we can safely say it's not an input issue.

You said you've been out of the hobby for 20 years. I don't know much about the state of heli technology at that time, but my guess is that what you're experiencing is not a bug but is in fact the headspeed governor working as intended, and you just aren't familiar with its operation.

I know from your post on shimming the heli collective trim that you have some familiarity with the aircraft editor. Try this:
  1. Load the KDE 700
  2. Open the editor
  3. Select the Electronics tab
  4. Expand the tree in the left pane and select Electronics->Governors->Headspeed Governor
  5. In the right pane, adjust the Throttle Armed Threshold property. A higher value will cause the governor to kick in later, meaning your inputs will directly control the motor RPM for a larger range of values at the bottom of the stick.
Try a dramatically higher value of something like -20% or even more to see a very noticeable difference. I suspect this will behave more like what you expected. Heli setup of course involves some personal preference, but this will at least let you test and see whether you're experiencing intended or unintended behavior.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:00 AM

Hi Ryan,

The Headspeed Governor was the issue. It was set at -85. I set it to -20 and it now responds the way I expected. I did try a few more helis and found some throttle up smoothly and some kick up onto the governor at a couple of clicks. I figured there had to be some configuration that was causing it to be a bit goofy.

Thanks,

Murray

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: