Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible2g View Post
I had the same prob on the belly doors on JJ. The pivot, does not rotate at 90, to the fuse, it must rotate 90, to the skin.
For me, the easiest way was to place an removable object along the line of the front and back corners of the door opening. Then point the pivot down the line of the object, not 90.
flexible2g

FIRST. I know you spent time making an AV for the Radial Racer but I want to ask a favor of you. Would you mind removing your AV so I can DELETE RADIAL RACER from the swaps.

SECOND. I'm confused a little by your post. I THINK you mean to place the PIVOT on the EDGE of the tail gear door at the same ANGLE it travels back towards the tail of the plane. If that's what you meant I've also tried that. I'll make three shots of doing that and come back and post them so you can see what I did. Of course I'd like to find out how to fix this. But like I mentioned before I WANT TO DELTE Radial Racer from the swap page. I know you spent time fixing something and I appreciate that but I just want to REMOVE my plane from the swaps. I hope understand my request and can help me I can't remove it until your file has been removed.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Yes sir that's exactly what I did using more than one axis and it always ends up being angled when I rotate it 90 degrees. If you look at the edge of the part its angled not straight so when you rotate it the part doesn't rotate straight, it's angled. I've also tried angling the pivot to follow the edge of the part instead of being straight but 3ds Max doesn't rotate the part at the angle of the pivot. Maybe that's what I'm missing but I can't get 3ds Max to rotate the part at the same angle as the pivot.

I guess the question (problem) is. When the pivot is angled to match the angle of the edge of the part (not shown but I tried it) the rotate gizmo is still vertical not angled to match the angle of the pivot. So when I rotate the part the part rotates just like the one in the pictures I uploaded. I need to get the rotate gizmo angled to match the pivot when it's angled to match the edge of the part. Like I said the pictures only show the pivot straight across but I've rotated the pivot to match the angle of the edge of the part but the rotate gizmo is still straight up and down (vertical)

Local pivot will rotate the gizmo to the orientation of the pivot on the object
Attached Images
File Type: png Local pivot.png (10.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-24-2017, 10:22 AM

Removed, no prob. If you are interested, when I get home from work, I can send you the MAX file for JJ, those doors were worse than you,res.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:24 AM

flexible2g

I think this is what you meant for me to do and the pictures of what happened when I did it. I made an extra picture this time showing the tail gear door in the RF editor with the gear in the UP position. The door was in the same position as the third picture in 3ds Max when DOWN but when the gear was raised it went to the position in the 4th picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SG 04.jpg (121.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SG 05.jpg (130.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SG 06.jpg (152.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SG 07.jpg (80.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Removed, no prob. If you are interested, when I get home from work, I can send you the MAX file for JJ, those doors were worse than you,res.
Thanks for taking it down. I'm definitely interested I'd like to learn how to fix this it's bugged me for a long time, send me a PM if you want my email address.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Local pivot will rotate the gizmo to the orientation of the pivot on the object
Wow. I don't know how I missed your post this morning maybe you hadn't submitted it when I was going through reading the new posts. BUT YES that's exactly what I needed, Thank You Thank You Thank You. And I know about LOCAL but for some reason I never tried it, but yeah that's what it suppose to do I just messed up over and over. That's the way it works sometimes, once you do something dumb you keep making the same mistake over and over. SO THANKS AGAIN for getting me out of another hole! And thanks for the push to do it right.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:19 PM

I just uploaded Radial Racer again and hopefully everything is right this time, they say the third time is a charm. Anyway the bad pivot in the tail gear door has been fixed (thanks to legomans help) and I also adjusted the weight of the plane again to bring it up to 30 lbs. which is where it should have been the first time. But live and learn they say. So if you'd like the best version yet go grab it but be sure the OVERWRITE ALL THE FILES when you import it.

I'm sorry guys about having to release it more than once, but this is truly the best version yet.. so grab it.

Oh.. I did fix a few other minor issues so the plane has been improved. Nothing anyone mentioned but I caught them as I was working on it.

Radial Racer

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=23678
Old 11-25-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanks for sorting it all out Now if I can just "figger out" this disappearing heli rotor blade thing I'm experiencing.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:49 PM

That came up about 6 years ago, some one else was building a heli. As I remember, it was the disk causing the prob.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
That came up about 6 years ago, some one else was building a heli. As I remember, it was the disk causing the prob.
Hey thanks for sending JJ to me!
Old 11-26-2017, 10:01 AM

Glhappy now.ad the doors are
Old 11-26-2017, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
here is the Radial Racer Red Black CS for technoids excellent Radial Racer located here

https://www.knifeedge.com/forums/dow...=file&id=23685
Old 11-26-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
here is the Radial Racer Red Black CS for technoids excellent Radial Racer located here

https://www.knifeedge.com/forums/dow...=file&id=23685
I just grabbed it.. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:22 PM

Technoid, your newest download version is nice. I like the physics. I think it should be faster. JMO
Old 11-27-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Technoid, your newest download version is nice. I like the physics. I think it should be faster. JMO
I created an engine profile for it but I just copied the built-in profile and added another data point or two to get the rpm up a bit without going past what the engine is rated at, so I was constrained because I didn't want to go beyond the engine's rating. The built-in profile stopped a few hundred rpm short of that so I just extended it. My first engine profile was faster but I got a few comments about how the sound profile wouldn't be right if I went much higher than 5300 rpm so I dumped that engine profile for one that stayed within the stock rpm range. Those comments was in my first build thread that I deleted so they're gone now I can't remember who made them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: