Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 11-22-2017, 03:23 PM

Floaty physics In RF8

My planes are really floaty in RF8. is there a setting I can change to fix this?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Are you talking about stock or custom models?

Floaty compared to...?
Old 11-22-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
Are you talking about stock or custom models?

Floaty compared to...?
Compared to RF7. I've exported vehicles from rf 7 into rf8 and they fly different. also stock vehicles like the Riley B are really floaty. like they're filled with helium.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brields View Post
My planes are really floaty in RF8. is there a setting I can change to fix this?
If your talking about technoids radial racer it is about 10 lbs off of an accurate weight for its wingspan and engine. The engine is over 100 oz to light for a 11.2 inch diameter 7 cylinder radial. And throughing in an accurate engine moves the cg to the leading edge of the wing so it need balast in the tail
Old 11-22-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
If your talking about technoids radial racer it is about 10 lbs off of an accurate weight for its wingspan and engine. The engine is over 100 oz to light for a 11.2 inch diameter 7 cylinder radial. And throughing in an accurate engine moves the cg to the leading edge of the wing so it need balast in the tail
No, I'm talking about A 1/5th scale P-51 with a wing loading of 116 oz/in ^2 flying like I could throw it and It'd fly. and, The Riley Model B. And other stock aircraft. Compared to in RF7.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
No, I'm talking about A 1/5th scale P-51 with a wing loading of 116 oz/in ^2 flying like I could throw it and It'd fly. and, The Riley Model B. And other stock aircraft. Compared to in RF7.
what? a 77 pound 1/5 scale mustang. And I can confrim it will fly but barely
Attached Images
File Type: png P-51 Mustang over load.png (5.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-22-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
what? a 77 pound 1/5 scale mustang. And I can confrim it will fly but barely
If you call float like a Cadillac "barely"
Old 11-23-2017, 12:31 AM

First of all, a 1/5 scale p-51 is not going to weigh 77 pounds. To be a legal RC aircraft it must be under 50lbs. 30-35 lbs should be around the correct weight.

I've not seen where any stock aircraft Float excessively. If anything the air seems a little thinner, in a good way.

Make sure you are using the realistic settings for your physics settings and test with only stock aircraft. Modified aircraft are not a good rule of measure for accuracy in RealFlight physics since the aircraft are not accurately replicated.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
If you call float like a Cadillac "barely"
Is this a built-in RF-8 plane or something from the swaps? If from the swaps can you give me a link I'd like to try it out. Thanks!

Also if I redo the Radial Racer for the correct weights would you test it for me and see if that fixes the problem you mentioned with it? I've already changed the engine weight and modified some part weights and added a mass in the tail to get what I think is the right weight for it but I need you to test it and see if that fixes the problem you have with it. If you're willing I can upload a beta in my build thread for you to download and test. I'm not as sensitive as others to the weight of the plane, but I will admit I left the engine weight the same as I had it before I changed to the Moki 180 so I fudged on that part. The old engine was 94.3 the Moki 180 in RF is 163.0 so I did fudge the difference. My bad.. sorry.

Last edited by technoid; 11-23-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
First of all, a 1/5 scale p-51 is not going to weigh 77 pounds. To be a legal RC aircraft it must be under 50lbs. 30-35 lbs should be around the correct weight.

I've not seen where any stock aircraft Float excessively. If anything the air seems a little thinner, in a good way.

Make sure you are using the realistic settings for your physics settings and test with only stock aircraft. Modified aircraft are not a good rule of measure for accuracy in RealFlight physics since the aircraft are not accurately replicated.
I built a P-51 with true wing loading. meaning it has 1-5th the wing loading of a real P-51D. that means it will way 70 lbs. In the future I'm going to build one in real life with FPV VR tech integrated as a cheaper alternative to a full scale warbird.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:20 AM

If you are upscaling an existing plane it takes quite a few "cheats" in the physics (if you rescale them to the actual size) to make it fly anywhere near normal. I've found that about twice the original size is the limit. Many of the folks on here have helped and given me advice on upscaling existing models to where I can finally do it decently. I look back at my early attempts and cringe.

If you are designing your model from scratch in something like 3DS etc then it's different. legoman has made some very large models but they began that way from the start.

The physics in RF-8 do seem a bit different and I like them better as helis seem more true to life.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Is this a built-in RF-8 plane or something from the swaps? If from the swaps can you give me a link I'd like to try it out. Thanks!

Also if I redo the Radial Racer for the correct weights would you test it for me and see if that fixes the problem you mentioned with it? I've already changed the engine weight and modified some part weights and added a mass in the tail to get what I think is the right weight for it but I need you to test it and see if that fixes the problem you have with it. If you're willing I can upload a beta in my build thread for you to download and test. I'm not as sensitive as others to the weight of the plane, but I will admit I left the engine weight the same as I had it before I changed to the Moki 180 so I fudged on that part. The old engine was 94.3 the Moki 180 in RF is 163.0 so I did fudge the difference. My bad.. sorry.
will upload in a bit.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
If you are upscaling an existing plane it takes quite a few "cheats" in the physics (if you rescale them to the actual size) to make it fly anywhere near normal. I've found that about twice the original size is the limit. Many of the folks on here have helped and given me advice on upscaling existing models to where I can finally do it decently. I look back at my early attempts and cringe.

If you are designing your model from scratch in something like 3DS etc then it's different. legoman has made some very large models but they began that way from the start.

The physics in RF-8 do seem a bit different and I like them better as helis seem more true to life.
No, this is an AV. I am working toward EA production though. I'd like to be able to make models as good as Boof69.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
No, this is an AV. I am working toward EA production though. I'd like to be able to make models as good as Boof69.
Some of the things to do are reduce the lift on surfaces to 30 percent or less. Also change the airfoils on them to something thinner.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: