Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I know that was me not saying check the smoothing groups.
I got confused I guess I thought you were saying it was a smoothing group problem, sorry about that.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:16 PM

I just finished adding servos to the plane here's a few pictures of them in RF. The elevator servos are surfaced mounted to the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk II 10.jpg (103.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk II 11.jpg (75.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk II 12.jpg (106.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I just finished adding servos to the plane here's a few pictures of them in RF. The elevator servos are surfaced mounted to the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer.
I like the detail.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I got confused I guess I thought you were saying it was a smoothing group problem, sorry about that.
I was saying check the groups.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I was saying check the groups.
Okay I understood you correctly then. I checked the smoothing groups and they looked good. After I release it take a look and you'll see what I mean. It looks perfect with shadows off.. so smoothing groups are good, right? The shadows just cast odd patterns on it and move around as you fly. In some cases it looks fine it's just those areas where odd pattern shadows are cast on it. It doesn't seem to get better or worse when changing back and forth from soft shadows either. I'll do one better I'll fire you off a beta right now.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Post a shot in max showing the wireframe. I've got a thought. Straight on, from the side, and about 45 degrees.

Last edited by abaser; 12-01-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Post a shot in max showing the wireframe. I've got a thought. Straight on, from the side, and about 45 degrees.
Here's two shots, straight on and left side. What type of 45 degrees are you wanting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk II 13.jpg (246.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk II 14.jpg (155.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-01-2017, 07:42 PM

I'm looking for a shot like you posted from the pilot seat. One showing the model itself with the edges visible. I'm looking for a specific flaw in the area you showed the shadows on the dashboard. I'd like a shot from the left, pilot seat, and a 45 between those two positions so I can see both the side and front of the dashboard. You can hide all other parts of you need to to get those shots. And I guess when I said wireframe I meant to say visible edges so I can look at the polys as well.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
I'm looking for a shot like you posted from the pilot seat. One showing the model itself with the edges visible. I'm looking for a specific flaw in the area you showed the shadows on the dashboard. I'd like a shot from the left, pilot seat, and a 45 between those two positions so I can see both the side and front of the dashboard. You can hide all other parts of you need to to get those shots. And I guess when I said wireframe I meant to say visible edges so I can look at the polys as well.
Let me know if this is what you wanted. The dashboard face was cut into 3 sections so I could make the center section large in the CS TGA file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk II 15.jpg (60.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk II 16.jpg (89.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk II 17.jpg (76.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by technoid; 12-01-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Okay I understood you correctly then. I checked the smoothing groups and they looked good. After I release it take a look and you'll see what I mean. It looks perfect with shadows off.. so smoothing groups are good, right? The shadows just cast odd patterns on it and move around as you fly. In some cases it looks fine it's just those areas where odd pattern shadows are cast on it. It doesn't seem to get better or worse when changing back and forth from soft shadows either. I'll do one better I'll fire you off a beta right now.
Yup definitely shadows sorry for doubting you.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:40 PM

Just curious, but wouldn`t you expect shadows in this situation, as the dash panel is exposed to direct sunlight from various directions because of glass canopy. I know shadows can be created if the smoothing groups aren`t correct, but those are different than shadows cast buy sunlight, Right. ???? just wondering if that`s what (sunlight shadows) you might be seeing.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Yup definitely shadows sorry for doubting you.
Well it's best to be sure before release, which could be tomorrow. So thanks for being interested. Ha I've messed up simple stuff a few times.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Just curious, but wouldn`t you expect shadows in this situation, as the dash panel is exposed to direct sunlight from various directions because of glass canopy. I know shadows can be created if the smoothing groups aren`t correct, but those are different than shadows cast buy sunlight, Right. ???? just wondering if that`s what (sunlight shadows) you might be seeing.
Yes it's definitely sunlight shadows and yes they're to be expected. The problem is the poor implementation of shadows in the older RF engine used in RF-8. If it was RF-X it wouldn't be a problem the shadows in it are very good. SO.. yep shadows, but it's the quality of shadows that's the problem. BUT.. the good thing is it's not always there so it's a sometimes problem.

The easy way to see it is load the plane in the Zenjima Island of Enlightenment 3D field and the problem is there as soon as the plane is loaded, so its easy to see. But like I said it's not a BAD problem most of the time so lots of people wouldn't even care, but I'm very sensitive to rendering problems so it bugs me a lot. But that's the way it is so I turn Shadows OFF in RF 6.5, 7.5, and 8 so I don't see it. I'd rather see none that bad ones. A personal thing I don't expect most to agree with. But I fly lots in 3d fields and see lots of bad shadows on stuff, badly shapped and very jaggy so I just turn them off. Like I said, it's just a personal thing.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Well it's best to be sure before release, which could be tomorrow. So thanks for being interested. Ha I've messed up simple stuff a few times.
Tomorrow huh? I need to hurry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1512176625.jpg (423.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by legoman; 12-01-2017 at 09:35 PM. Reason: forgot picture
Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Tomorrow huh? I need to hurry
Did you do that in Blender?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: