Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 12-02-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Did you do that in Blender?
Nope, level flight, used the sliders on the interlink-x for basic camera controls.

Ps look closer at the plane's shadow.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Nope, level flight, used the sliders on the interlink-x for basic camera controls.

Ps look closer at the plane's shadow.
The wings look swept that's why I ask if you did that in Blender. So how did you do that to the wings?
Old 12-02-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
The wings look swept that's why I ask if you did that in Blender. So how did you do that to the wings?
Oops I though you ment the manuver called a blender. I used linear actuators
Old 12-02-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Oops I though you ment the manuver called a blender. I used linear actuators
Cool.. yeah why not. I wouldn't have thought to do that. I will say I thought about adding something so you could look down but never did it. I still don't use the Interlink X controller so I don't have those extra channels.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:32 AM

A few late night renders for you Tech. I setup a brand new render scene just to see if I remembered how. This one only has one light right now, and the canopy is hazy from that, but I think they turned out pretty good all things considered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazy 8 cabin.jpg (131.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Lazy 8.jpg (108.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Lazy 8_2.jpg (111.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-02-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
A few late night renders for you Tech. I setup a brand new render scene just to see if I remembered how. This one only has one light right now, and the canopy is hazy from that, but I think they turned out pretty good all things considered.
Very nice renders. Yes for some reason the canopy is hazy when it's rendered but inside RealFlight it looks the way it should.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 AM

You guys did a lot of work while I slept. I had added another cockpit camera for a different view. I think I will add the flaps knob as a control to pan the camera up/down on both.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:49 PM

I just grabbed the final version on the swap pages. THANKS and great job. I'll give it some time and then upload my electric version and Green/Yellow CS.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 12-02-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:54 PM

I just uploaded Lazy Eight Mk II to the swap pages.. Enjoy!

Thanks legoman for reminding me about adding the pilot seat camera tilt feature I meant to add that but somewhere it got lost, so thanks for posting that picture. The pilot seat camera tilt is controlled by the channel 6 knob (0 to -20 degrees) since I still use the old interlink controller.

And thanks Doug and BrokeDad for giving feedback on the betas it really helps.

Lazy Eight Mk II

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=23712
Old 12-03-2017, 12:15 AM

Legoman. I tried out your AV but I'm unable to use the pilot seat view I guess it requires an Interlink-X to use it with your mods. I suppose there's keyboard short cuts for the new channels but I don't know them, please let me know what they are if you do. But with the software only option lots of people will be using RF-8 with the old Interlink so I guess I'm not alone on that one.

About the weight and engine placement. My thought on the weight is, if the plane was made of reinforced expanded foam the weight I used would be attainable and the engine placement is possible by using an extension shaft supported by two ball bearings, one in the middle and another at the end where it exits the plane. There would need to be plywood braces for engine mounting and the extension shaft bearings but again it seems reasonable it could be done. People create all kinds of special projects and it seems my thoughts on weight and engine placement is possible. But let me know if you think what I said is impossible.

At the local field a guy has a huge flying fire truck which is made entirely of foam boards he cut, a total home project. I don't know how much it weighs but it's huge and he even did a loop with it one day. So odd things are possible. The Lazy Eight Mk II isn't an aerobatic plane so it could be made as light as possible with the person knowing the limitations of flight. So if 18 lbs. isn't possible I think it would be closer to 20 lbs. than 32 lbs. But then again maybe I'm a dummy and totally off base. I've been there before. I just seen an 80 inch wingspan foam Bi-Plane with an AUW of 11.1 lbs. https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=39965

Last edited by technoid; 12-03-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:17 AM

Rf-8 Keyboard Commands Ch 9 & 10

Sorry I hope this isn't too Inappropriate Here, but since the the subject was raised.
I don't believe RF-8 has Ch 9 & 10 "Keyboard Mapped".
I don't have RF-8 yet so I cant Verify this.
Based on a post by Ryan, Quote:
Note that in RF-X we were able to map virtual channels 9 & 10 to the 'H' and 'J' keys because both of those were available, whereas RF8 uses way more of the keyboard--including 'H'.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...71&postcount=9

In RF7.5 and RF8, the H Key is mapped, to Prompt the, In Program Keyboard Command Window.
The G key, does still appear to be unassigned. (among others)(left and right arrows)
Since there are probably going to be a substantial number of users, not using the InterLink-X.
Establishing "Keyboard Access" to Ch 9 & 10 should be addressed.
I'll be sending a request to Ryan with hopes others will also.

Last edited by adrenoline 60; 12-03-2017 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added left and right arrows
Old 12-03-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenoline 60 View Post
Sorry I hope this isn't too Inappropriate Here, but since the the subject was raised.
I don't believe RF-8 has Ch 9 & 10 "Keyboard Mapped".
I don't have RF-8 yet so I cant Verify this.
Based on a post by Ryan, Quote:
Note that in RF-X we were able to map virtual channels 9 & 10 to the 'H' and 'J' keys because both of those were available, whereas RF8 uses way more of the keyboard--including 'H'.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...71&postcount=9

In RF7.5 and RF8, the H Key is mapped, to Prompt the, In Program Keyboard Command Window.
The G key, does still appear to be unassigned. (among others)(left and right arrows)
Since there are probably going to be a substantial number of users, not using the InterLink-X.
Establishing "Keyboard Access" to Ch 9 & 10 should be addressed.
I'll be sending a request to Ryan with hopes others will also.
adrenoline 60. I don't do the off topic thing so the post is fine, as is any others. Hopefully Ryan will see the questions about keyboard commands for the the new channels and chime in on the possibility of having them. It does seem they need to be there lots of people will be using the old Interlink.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:11 AM

Like everything it comes down to user preference but I like this plane light as it is. In fact the CG in my electric version is just enough to keep the front wheel planted. I find it my favorite plane for just lazily flying around looking at 3D fields. As mainly a heli pilot I get enough zipping around from those and don't need 3D fields for them.

It's also very easy to land and take off in a short distance. Sometimes I want to go to the ground to have a look at things. It can also take quite the hard landing being so light.

I do hope there is some solution to mapping keys for channels 8 and 9. My DX9 when used can only do 8 channels on my wireless dongle.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
About the weight and engine placement. My thought on the weight is, if the plane was made of reinforced expanded foam the weight I used would be attainable and the engine placement is possible by using an extension shaft supported by two ball bearings, one in the middle and another at the end where it exits the plane. There would need to be plywood braces for engine mounting and the extension shaft bearings but again it seems reasonable it could be done. People create all kinds of special projects and it seems my thoughts on weight and engine placement is possible. But let me know if you think what I said is impossible.

At the local field a guy has a huge flying fire truck which is made entirely of foam boards he cut, a total home project. I don't know how much it weighs but it's huge and he even did a loop with it one day. So odd things are possible. The Lazy Eight Mk II isn't an aerobatic plane so it could be made as light as possible with the person knowing the limitations of flight. So if 18 lbs. isn't possible I think it would be closer to 20 lbs. than 32 lbs. But then again maybe I'm a dummy and totally off base. I've been there before. I just seen an 80 inch wingspan foam Bi-Plane with an AUW of 11.1 lbs. https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=39965

I though the Prop shaft extension would make too much vibration for a foam model. Plus I have seen few Foam models with internal combustion because internal combustions vibrate alot compared electrics. And yes mine is probobly too heavy, 25 lbs is probobly closer.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I though the Prop shaft extension would make too much vibration for a foam model. Plus I have seen few Foam models with internal combustion because internal combustions vibrate alot compared electrics. And yes mine is probobly too heavy, 25 lbs is probobly closer.
Yeah a glow engine in a foam plane is a lot of vibration but I do think the prop shaft is okay, if it's a good quality shaft, hard steel, straight, and balanced there shouldn't be much vibration. I'll go with 25 lbs. that would have been a better weight for a real model. But mine is for the Virtual World so it doesn't have to confirm to real world physics. The entire point of the plane is to explore the virtual world in RealFlight so I tailored the plane for that world.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: