Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Windows Mixed Reality - Samsung HMD Odyssey first look

We got a Samsung HMD Odyssey today and played with it a little.

I have good news: It works! As suspected, the Odyssey does in fact support OpenVR, which is how RealFlight 8 is able to support it without additional software changes on our end. It did require some time-consuming Windows updates first, though.

To use it with RealFlight:
  1. Do whatever initial setup is required in Windows for your new device.
  2. Download the "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" application via Steam and launch that instead of the regular SteamVR application. (It's a free download.)
  3. Start RealFlight 8 normally.
For more information, please view this page from Microsoft. Note that instead of using Steam to launch RealFlight as described in step 3, though, you will run it yourself via the desktop or Start menu shortcuts.

In our limited time experimenting we noted one minor glitch: the camera is too high on initial spawn. This in turn causes the UI to be displayed too low. A case has been filed about this particular issue. In the meantime, however, there is an easy workaround: simply change pilot spawns. (Press X, then Shift-X or Ctrl-X to return to the default spawn. Or, press X enough times to cycle all the way through and back.)

I anticipate the two big questions will be "How does it look?" and "How is performance?" We haven't done any kind of benchmarking, so I'm afraid I can't provide any performance info at this point. As for the former, I wasn't able to switch back and forth between the Odyssey and the Rift or Vive and compare back to back, which is what it would take for a proper analysis. To my eye, the higher resolution displays in the Odyssey looked better than the Rift & Vive, but not an order of magnitude better.

All the VR headsets we've tried have some advantages and some disadvantages compared to other available options. The Odyssey is no different.

I hope this emboldens some people to take the leap on the new hardware and report their own results!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 PM

Good to hear. I guess I will be ordering me a Odyssey soon.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:27 AM

Great news... ordered mine last night and woke up to this news!

$449 + tax at Microsoft direct.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:43 AM

String, is that a good deal??
Rf8 is it like the other updates, not compatible with rf7.5 multiplayer?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:10 AM

Hi Sonny,

Yes I think so. RF8 is a much better sim than 7.5 IMO...
- Physics are better, especially for helis.
- New craft. I think it's all the content from Drone too. ( not sure if it's 100% )
- Better sounds... our heli bark is back!
- VR Support.

Just like previous versions, 8 will only multiplayer with 8.

As to the VR hardware... dunno yet which is best. I have the Oculus Rift and it works great! It changes the sim to something much closer to reality! Only bad thing is the resolution. And that really is the only bad thing... the Rift is VERY well designed gear. The Touch Controllers are very intuitive and just work.
And at $349, I consider it a bargain. Even with the low resolution, RF is still enjoyable... I just never stopped noticing it.

The Odyssey is an open question and I've ordered one to do a side by side. I've watched all the Youtube reviews and they're mixed... with some common themes.
- Resolution is much better (highest among the new raft of WMR hardware)
- Tracking is good enough but not on par with Rift/Vive
- Controllers are good enough but not nearly as good as Rift/Vive

RF is the application I care most about, and it's the one which cries out for better resolution. But is it worth the trade off in Cost & Quality? That's the question!
Old 11-28-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post

I have good news: It works! As suspected, the Odyssey does in fact support OpenVR, which is how RealFlight 8 is able to support it without additional software changes on our end. It did require some time-consuming Windows updates first, though.

2. Download the "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" application via Steam and launch that instead of the regular SteamVR application. (It's a free download.)
For more information, please view this page from Microsoft. Note that instead of using Steam to launch RealFlight as described in step 3, though, you will run it yourself via the desktop or Start menu shortcuts.

In our limited time experimenting we noted one minor glitch: the camera is too high on initial spawn. This in turn causes the UI to be displayed too low. A case has been filed about this particular issue. In the meantime, however, there is an easy workaround: simply change pilot spawns. (Press X, then Shift-X or Ctrl-X to return to the default spawn. Or, press X enough times to cycle all the way through and back.)

I anticipate the two big questions will be "How does it look?" and "How is performance?" We haven't done any kind of benchmarking, so I'm afraid I can't provide any performance info at this point. As for the former, I wasn't able to switch back and forth between the Odyssey and the Rift or Vive and compare back to back, which is what it would take for a proper analysis. To my eye, the higher resolution displays in the Odyssey looked better than the Rift & Vive, but not an order of magnitude better.

All the VR headsets we've tried have some advantages and some disadvantages compared to other available options. The Odyssey is no different.

I hope this emboldens some people to take the leap on the new hardware and report their own results!
I was hoping for a more enthusiastic first impression compared to Oculus. I will have my own Odyssey on Friday. I already have been running the sim with Oculus.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post

- Resolution is much better (highest among the new raft of WMR hardware)
- Tracking is good enough but not on par with Rift/Vive

RF is the application I care most about, and it's the one which cries out for better resolution. But is it worth the trade off in Cost & Quality? That's the question!

If I only care about Real Flight 8 and nothing else then do points below matter?

- Tracking is good enough but not on par with Rift/Vive ( How does Tracking impact RF8 uses? if any)

I bought a Oculas before reading this thread and now I am returning it for Samsung
Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkhan View Post
If I only care about Real Flight 8 and nothing else then do points below matter?

- Tracking is good enough but not on par with Rift/Vive ( How does Tracking impact RF8 uses? if any)

I bought a Oculas before reading this thread and now I am returning it for Samsung
If RF is all you care about, I'd go for the Samsung.
- RF doesn't use the hand tracking or the controllers.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post

Based on info from Microsoft, the resolution will be automatically dropped if your pc lacks a hdmi 2.0 port. It will drop to 1080. Can you confirm the spec of your port that you did your testing?
Old 12-02-2017, 03:10 AM

Hi guys,
So I got my odyssey today! I also have a oculus. So doing side by side comparisons.

First my setup:
Asus Zephyrus laptop
NVidia GTX 1080 max q
3GHz cpu
16GB DRAM
HDMI 2.0 (required for 1440 headset resolution)

With oculus using the default settings I get locked 90 FPS. Graphics quality high. Even highest can be ok.

With the Samsung Odyssey MR headset, I can’t break 45. Even going to the lowest graphics setting.

Ok one observation. When I play video games or even sim outside of vr (which is way over 300 frames/s) my laptops fan is spun up and working.

With the odyssey headset, it’s quiet.

Something is very wrong with the compatibility I think. Performance is just really bad for me.

On the plus side I find the odyssey a HUGE upgrade over the rift for sim use. More pixels. Wider view. But alas it’s not flyable for me until the performance is fixed.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:30 PM

Been trying to hook up my Samsung Odyssey... no joy yet.

Mixed Reality Portal says "Connect your HMD Odyssey", when it's already hooked up.
- Definitely USB 3.0
- Definitely HDMI 2.0 ( MSI GTX1070 )
- Fall Creators Update installed
* PC has Bluetooth but I don't know if it's 4.0 or not

Samsung device status window says
- Connected
- Endlessly searches for firmware version

- i7 2600k 3.4gh
- 16gb Ram

Samsung support is non existant ( or may as well be ). So is MS support unless you pay.

Will put my IT guy on it Monday. Grrrrr
Old 12-02-2017, 09:40 PM

So Another day with Samsung Odyssey.. good news is that the resolution, color and field of view is a _huge_ improvement over the rift. Really a lot better.

Bad news is the performance with realflight is totally broken. I mean bad. All settings cranked up on my 1080 gtx laptop with oculus itís locked at 90fps. Even if I drop every setting to low with the Samsung Odyssey itís a bad ugly mess. And just not flyable.

So at this point we can hope Knife Edge solves it. But otherwise itís not working well enough yet.

Bright side once it works itíll be a much much better experience. Hope they fix it. Meanwhile Odyssey is great with other games. Useless for Realflight.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:57 AM

I went ahead and installed Next VR simulator and did a trial run with the Samsung Odyssey. All settings maxed, its completely locked at 90fps. Really works fantastic and you can see the total potential for this headset.

The FOv, resolution All superior to the Oculus. Only negative is itís blurred a bit in your peripheral vision, with a slightly smaller sweet spot. But overall trumps oculus for sim use. And there is no setup. So laptop guys can plug the portable headset in anywhere for a big screen sim experience.

Hope the RF8 guys can solve the performance issues with this headset.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:52 AM

One more update. With next, supersampling set to 4.0 I still get locked 90fps. Finally at 5.0 it starts to have problems.

Have to say 4.0 supersampled with the odyssey is simply breathtaking.

RF8 will be awesome if the performance can be fixed.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
One more update. With next, supersampling set to 4.0 I still get locked 90fps. Finally at 5.0 it starts to have problems.

Have to say 4.0 supersampled with the odyssey is simply breathtaking.

RF8 will be awesome if the performance can be fixed.
I've ordered my odyssey on Friday hopefully with better hardware it should run better for me. Your specs on the laptop seem a little bit out of date, but still plenty strong for most things. I have a 5ghz 7700k CPU, a 1080ti and 16gb of 3200mhz ram and at 1440p I get 700-800 fps with peaks over 1k fps. Hopefully I can report my findings this week.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: