Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
I've ordered my odyssey on Friday hopefully with better hardware it should run better for me. Your specs on the laptop seem a little bit out of date, but still plenty strong for most things. I have a 5ghz 7700k CPU, a 1080ti and 16gb of 3200mhz ram and at 1440p I get 700-800 fps with peaks over 1k fps. Hopefully I can report my findings this week.
Lol no..it’s one of the highest spec laptops made. You will for sure be disappointed.

ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 15.6" Full-HD 120Hz Ultra-portable Gaming Laptop; 8GB GTX 1080; Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 2.8GHz (Turbo up to 3.8GHz); 512GB Pie NV Me M.2 SSD, 16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM; Windows 10 Pro; Asus ROG Active Aerodynamic System; RGB Gaming Keyboard; NVidia G-Sync; Dual Band 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Bluetooth 4.2;1x Thunderbolt;1x HDMI 2.0; 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack; 50Whrs Battery.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Lol no..itís one of the highest spec laptops made. You will for sure be disappointed.

ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 15.6" Full-HD 120Hz Ultra-portable Gaming Laptop; 8GB GTX 1080; Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 2.8GHz (Turbo up to 3.8GHz); 512GB Pie NV Me M.2 SSD, 16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM; Windows 10 Pro; Asus ROG Active Aerodynamic System; RGB Gaming Keyboard; NVidia G-Sync; Dual Band 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Bluetooth 4.2;1x Thunderbolt;1x HDMI 2.0; 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack; 50Whrs Battery.
It's excellent for a laptop no doubt but not quite desktop performance which has higher specifications and a mild over clock. A 7700k is about 40% faster than the mobile version before a overclock. The mobile version of the 1080gtx is also not the same card as the 1080ti.

Ultimately it may come down to driver performance on the wmr device. With time I expect the drivers to mature which will lead to better performance.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:53 PM

HP Mixed Reality

I grabbed a MSI Apache laptop in the Black Friday sales. It was reduced from £1700 to £1400 , but if you also bought a HP mixed reality headset (reduced from £400 to £300) they knocked off a further £349 . So it was £49 cheaper to have the headset than not have it ! Anyway , the mixed reality headset works with RF8 , but I'm not that impressed . It's fine if you are flying a heli close in , but at any distance it's really difficult to see what the aircraft is doing . I would be a bit miffed to say the least if I had actually paid for the thing .

Edit : Also the frame rate hovers around 30fps most of the time (if realflight is reporting it correctly) , I would have thought a GTX1070 would have done better .

Last edited by Nivlek; 12-05-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivlek View Post
Edit : Also the frame rate hovers around 30fps most of the time (if realflight is reporting it correctly) , I would have thought a GTX1070 would have done better .
30-fps in VR ? Sounds unflyable.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:52 PM

The odyssey has more resolution than the HP MR headset.

But the real problem is the performance. And because of that we canít enable supersampling which has a big impact on flying at a distance.

But if you want a demo of whatís possible with vr with a faster graphics engine try Next.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 PM

Its a shame the Samsung Odyssey is not sold in Europe (no idea why, all the other MR headsets are available).
Old 12-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Yah makes no sense.

Owning both a Oculus and Samsung MR HMD, the Samsung is hands down the winner for me. And now I'm playing other games with it and I find I prefer it over Oculus overall.

Here's a nice review of the Samsung set where I pretty much agree on all points

https://youtu.be/asC-Axnjk9Q
Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 AM

Ryan said he tried the Oculus thru OpenVR, which is how RF8 works on Vive... and now Odyssey. He said going thru OpenVR imposes a performance hit with no gain. (can't find the quote now)

... Maybe this is the reason behind the poor performance in RF8?

I still can't get my Odyssey to work. No progress.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying my Rift. Just got the Smooth Locomotion mod for Robo Recall and that was just the element it needed to make it one helluva gaming experience! Happily I find I'm not susceptible to any sort of motion sickness. Been flying fast drones & planes in RF8 cockpit mode and chase mode... turning, banking, looping, rolling... all no problem
Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Have decided to return my Samsung Odyssey. Cannot get it to work on my pc. Had my computer guru working on it for 2 hours... no joy.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post
Have decided to return my Samsung Odyssey. Cannot get it to work on my pc. Had my computer guru working on it for 2 hours... no joy.
I couldn't get video to work until I stopped using the HDMI 2.0 port on my laptop. Instead I bought the Accell USB-C to HDMI adapter and connected the headset through this instead. Works perfect.

Prob some driver bugs still.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I couldn't get video to work until I stopped using the HDMI 2.0 port on my laptop. Instead I bought the Accell USB-C to HDMI adapter and connected the headset through this instead. Works perfect.

Prob some driver bugs still.
I thought the dumb thing REQUIRED an HDMI 2.0 ???
I had it plugged into my graphics card... an MSI 1070 which has an HDMI 2.0.

Ah well, it's returned now. Also tried one in the Microsoft Store and prefer the Oculus.
- MUCH superior Touch controlers
- Bigger sweet spot on the display
- Only a marginal difference is noticable in resolution and only at the center

This brand new "NextGen" Odyssey really has no clear advantage, and several inferiorities compared to the 2 year old Rift.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I thought the dumb thing REQUIRED an HDMI 2.0 ???
I had it plugged into my graphics card... an MSI 1070 which has an HDMI 2.0.

Ah well, it's returned now. Also tried one in the Microsoft Store and prefer the Oculus.
- MUCH superior Touch controlers
- Bigger sweet spot on the display
- Only a marginal difference is noticable in resolution and only at the center

This brand new "NextGen" Odyssey really has no clear advantage, and several inferiorities compared to the 2 year old Rift.
Yes it does, but some driver bug makes WindowsMR not work with my HDMI port. I found a work around though until it's fixed.

I own the Oculus also, but I feel the opposite of you. I like the Odyssey a lot better. The resolution makes a big impact for me on sim, and the Samsung controllers (which are different vs the other WinMR) feel great (edge is with the Oculus ergonomics). Tracking has actually been great and my Oculus has been collecting dust. Mainly using the Oculus to play some of the Oculus games already purchased.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I couldn't get video to work until I stopped using the HDMI 2.0 port on my laptop. Instead I bought the Accell USB-C to HDMI adapter and connected the headset through this instead.
So you had to adapt the Odyssey's HDMI-male to a tiny little phone jack USB-C... and then back again to HDMI to plug into your card? Or does your card actually have a USB-C female jack?

Also, you mentioned some poor performance with RF8... were you able to improve it any?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Hi Sonny,

Yes I think so. RF8 is a much better sim than 7.5 IMO...
- Physics are better, especially for helis.
- New craft. I think it's all the content from Drone too. ( not sure if it's 100% )
- Better sounds... our heli bark is back!
- VR Support.

Just like previous versions, 8 will only multiplayer with 8.

As to the VR hardware... dunno yet which is best. I have the Oculus Rift and it works great! It changes the sim to something much closer to reality! Only bad thing is the resolution. And that really is the only bad thing... the Rift is VERY well designed gear. The Touch Controllers are very intuitive and just work.
And at $349, I consider it a bargain. Even with the low resolution, RF is still enjoyable... I just never stopped noticing it.

The Odyssey is an open question and I've ordered one to do a side by side. I've watched all the Youtube reviews and they're mixed... with some common themes.
- Resolution is much better (highest among the new raft of WMR hardware)
- Tracking is good enough but not on par with Rift/Vive
- Controllers are good enough but not nearly as good as Rift/Vive

RF is the application I care most about, and it's the one which cries out for better resolution. But is it worth the trade off in Cost & Quality? That's the question!
Hey String, thanks, I guess I will order up one soon, I see they have a 2o dollar rebate too now.

curious to know how the VR is!
Old 12-12-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
So you had to adapt the Odyssey's HDMI-male to a tiny little phone jack USB-C... and then back again to HDMI to plug into your card? Or does your card actually have a USB-C female jack?

Also, you mentioned some poor performance with RF8... were you able to improve it any?
I'm using a Asus Zephyrus laptop that has a HDMI 2.0 port and a USB-C port. Normally I plug the VR into the HDMI port, and my monitor in the USB-C port directly. But the Samsung video won't start for some reason on the HDMI port. I did for a short while, but some driver bug is messing with it.

So I bought an Accell USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter for $20 and it just works perfectly. So for now this is how I am running it.

RF8 graphics performance through OpenVr steam is really poor on the Odyssey. So I gave up and just fly Next right now which has VR support. Performance is so goo I can set supersample to 4x and the rendering at a distance is pretty awesome. My flight envelope is _very_ good. Way better on the Odyssey wth super sample 4x vs Occulus running RF8 at high quality.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: