andy29847

Simitar_540_7b Big and Fast_AV

From the EA by pccdkt:

I had a Bill Evans Simitar in the late 80's. Bill started modeling in 1936. I saw his ad for flying wings in the AMA magazine. Mine was ~48" wingspan and powered with an OS 32. I used the plane for fun flys and combat. The plywood covered foam wing was strong as a diving board and I knocked down a few planes in mid-air collisions. I often wondered what a big Simitar would be like. RealFlight give me a chance to explore the possibilities. :eek:)

Here is a link to Bill's Biography:
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Evans-Bill.pdf

and here is a excerpt from the article:
With the advent of the Silent Squire construction article in Radio Control Modeler in 1975, Bill began a foam cutting and kit business, Soaring Research, which has become Bill Evans Aircraft and still endures today. Late in 1975 comments by old time modeler friend Bill Braatz of Indiana about tailless aircraft gave rise to start Bill thinking about developing such aircraft.
He did research about the Northrop ships and others. Bill decided that, number one, the airfoil would be semi-symmetrical with some reflex. Number two, the C.G. needed to be well forward of the normal 25 to 25% as on conventional planes. Number three, the most efficient, and easy to install control system would be elevons. Finally, number four, vertical stability would best be affected by using a fix vertical fin.
Next Bill worked on and developed the Evans’ Simitar Airfoil (ESA). The foam wings were hand-cut and quickly Bill’s first flying wing, the Saracen, took to the sky off Snake Hill in Malibu Canyon, close to the Pacific Ocean. The slope soaring ability of the Saracen was greater than Bill had imagined. Glide aspect of Saracen was superior to all conventional gliders he had flown. It flew in lighter winds, thermalled, flew fast and slower, was aerobatic and turned tighter than any conventional turn. To launch at 9 a.m. and land at noon was new to all in 1975.
Several Saracens were soon built ranging in span from 49 to 100 inches. The Saracen construction article was published in the April 1976 issue of Radio Control Modeler magazine.
The Saracen was the first in the Simitar line of more than 75 designed in the series; more than 30 have been published construction articles.
Early in 1976, Bill concluded that since the Saracen flew so well as an un-powered glider, then it would be really great with an engine. So a 48-inch Saracen glider was modified to fly with a Cox 049 engine. It was all that was hoped for; performance was outstanding. Named the Simitar it was published in the December 1976 issue of Radio Control Modeler magazine. The name Simitar, which has been applied to all of Bill’s flying wing designs as series, came as follows.
Bill reasoned that since the Saracens were the infidels that fought the crusaders in the Holy Wars and the power of the Saracen was his sword, called a Simitar, it would be natural that a powered Saracen be called a Simitar. Therefore, all that followed would be of the Simitar Series.
The Simitar (049) was immediately followed by a larger version using a .15 and named the Simitar 15. It was published in the December 1976 issue of Model Aviation magazine.
In 1977 there was a Simitar .35 followed by the Simitar 540 (500-square-inch powered by a .40). The 540 was published in the October 1978 issue of Radio Control Modeler.
The success of these first four Simitars and the acceptance and positive reaction from RC pilots throughout the world lead to the no-holds-barred development of more than 75 designs. From the 24-inch span, a .020-powered Bugs Ear, to the awesome Pole Star Twin with a span of 100 inches and powered by two Super Tiger 3000s, they have all enjoyed the Simitar advantage. More than 30 have been published as construction articles.

This variant requires:

Simitar_540_7a_EA
Reactions: rjmanzuk

Latest updates

1. Images

Images