40% Pitts Challenger (Bulldog)

uncle twist

Looks GREAT Andy, Can`t wait to see what CS you`re doing. I hope to be laying some brushes on it myself.. ;) ;) :) still working on some of the sponsor graphics for the CS I want to do..... some are a PITA/time consuming as you could imagine...;)

asj5547

Looks great. I am eager to see how paint on a two sided fuselage mapping works.
I tried that type of mapping once with the Ultimate Unwrap3d program I use and yes I was happy with it until I got to the cockpit area, the warning signs I applied on the outside of the cockpit showed up on the inside as well, even with separate panels inside the cockpit. !!!

abaser

Well, I don’t have a cockpit to speak of. It’s just a flat deck under the canopy. However, when you map this way, you have to map the cockpit separately or you’ll have what you describe. I did map the deck separate on this.

If you’re curious about painting on two halves, I believe my other Pitts is mapped this way as well. I could be wrong though.

PilotAt6

I'm just amazed of how much work goes into modeling an aircraft for RF. Lots of details and quite the learning curve. Thanks for your efforts and attention to those details.

abaser

I don’t map the fuselage with a left and right side, top, and bottom like I used to. I’ll map the left and right halves and manipulate the verts on the map to only have two parts of the main fuselage. You can see it in this link.

asj5547

I downloaded your 33% Pitts S1, first of all, that is a great model and fly's well in RF9 and RF-X
I dropped a few lines of rivets on the fuselage and they did not appear stretched, your method really works, even if the fuselage looks a little strange on the tga. but perfect in the simulator.

Attachments

Boof69

Right but you map one half then mirror or use a symmetry modifier to make the exact correct?

abaser

I downloaded your 33% Pitts S1, first of all, that is a great model and fly's well in RF9 and RF-X
I dropped a few lines of rivets on the fuselage and they did not appear stretched, your method really works, even if the fuselage looks a little strange on the tga. but perfect in the simulator.
That’s the idea. Make things as simple as possible with the crayons. Looking at that tga, I guess I was hoping everyone wanted symmetry on the wings. I do plan on trying to add all wing pieces to the map this time around. Can’t believe I stacked them. :unsure:

uncle twist

Looking real nice Andy, I hope you post a pic. of the final map, I`d really like to see it....;):D...Still working on graphics, had a small prob. today with gimp, so I quit for the day to take a break....argh....

abaser

Bottom left is the center strut. I haven’t decided on mapping the flying wires yet. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work really. I might though if enough interest.