D3DERR INVALIDCALL in module DXTEXTURE at line 531

marcushh777

I helped my Dad update his Rf9.0 to Rf9.5031, complete with registration, and then verified his drivers are up-to-date; well, as up-to-date as they can be for Win7.
I also helped him get the SE5a from Swap Pages (technoid's SE5a) and all the color schemes, plus the electric version AV. All of the import worked fine... but...

When trying to select the aircraft RAF SE5a EA about halfway through the "Creating DDS" message(s) he got unexpected error D3DERR INVALIDCALL in module DXTEXTURE.CPP at line 531 and the entire Rf9.5031 crashed on-the-spot.

Of course this is not a RealFlight error or bug directly, per se, but is a conflict somewhere in DirectX (9), or the drivers for his ATI Radeon HD 4245 graphics processor.

My plan is to have him attempt to update the Radeon driver on his system, and reload DirectX (9) with version DX9c. That normally takes care of this error (but not always, sometimes it means replacing the Radeon graphics card) and I sincerely hope not, because the Radeon graphics processor is embedded on the main system board of his HP notebook computer, and cannot be replaced without trashing the whole thing.

If anyone has any other ideas, or if there are other things we should check, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

marcus
:confused:(y)

Last edited:

Bill Stuntz

When you say "update the Radeon driver" don't you mean "re-install the OLD Radeon drivers that are compatible with DX9"?

marcushh777

I honestly don't know... where do I find help on knowing which Radeon driver(s) were compatible with DirectX. I assumed (probably in error) that the last update in 2013 would be compatible with DX9c... is this not true ?

thank you

PS... I know; google is our friend

marcus

Last edited:

Bill Stuntz

Shouldn't need Google... I can't point you to the thread here that identifies which old Radeon driver works. SOMEWHERE in the many threads here identifies the working one by version number. I don't have a Radeon, so there was no reason for me to try to remember. People were trying to blame RF for the problem, but the driver version that was current when RF9 was released worked fine. AMD broke it (and reportedly other DX9 games) with the newest driver version.

marcushh777

Well, here is the update; spent about five hours with Dad over the phone, and remote support.

We have successfully reinstalled DirectX 9c; also, reinstalled the Radeon driver compatible with DX9c. We reimported the RAF SE5a EA file. The import was successful. Trying to select the RAF SE5a still results in the error message:

D3DERR INVALID DATA in module DXTEXTURE.CPP at line 531

This message occurs during the "Creating DDS" message during aircraft selection.

In any case, RealFlight runs fine. Other aircraft can be selected and flown, the simulator is fully functional otherwise, and is stable. Dad's simulator is Rf9.5.031, but his operating system is Win7. My Rf9.5.031 on Win10 GeForce NVidia card can select and fly the SE5a without issue; also the AV, and in all CS variations. I can only conclude (similar to others on this forum) that Dad's embedded Radeon card is not compatible with the call(s) in DXTEXTURE.cpp (531).

His simulator machine is an old HP notebook he dedicates to the Sim; an HP625 with the P340 AMD processor. He seems to be having difficulty with the ATI HD RADEON 4250 gpu; unfortunately he cannot swap it out. The machine only has two cores, and runs at 2Ghz. Money is really not an issue, so this evening he's out shopping for replacement notebook for his Sim.

Thanks to Bill (and others) on the forum for assistance on this problem.

marcus