DX8G2 Model Export question.

SPQR33

Does Exporting a “model” from a DX* radio remove / delete that “model’s” full settings? Or simply Copies it to an SD card? The radio’s manual is a bit vague about what happens when you Export a “model”. I have my first plane’s receiver re-wired for Advanced, the DX radio switches configured and other settings altered to my liking, and I want to save that set-up to an SD card as a Back-Up. I’m also considering investing in a second plane (a 1.2m Twin Otter) to Bind then Rename, then fully configure the DX8’s switches and programming settings for it. Then save this new configured “model” to an SD card. If I Export my current “model”, does it simply Copy that “model” to the SD card, leaving it intact in the radio? Or does Exporting the “model” Remove the “model” to the SD card? Does the radio only hold One “model” configuration in its memory at a time? I don’t want to lose literally hours of programming and testing. The manual doesn’t say what happens exactly.

marcushh777

Does Exporting a “model” from a DX* radio remove / delete that “model’s” full settings? Or simply Copies it to an SD card? .... The manual doesn’t say what happens exactly.
Exporting a model from the DX8G2 does not alter the transmitter memory. The model remains in the DX8G2 unaltered in any way; the export simply copies a configuration file to the SD card ( as a backup, yes ).

I have my DX8G2 backed-up to two different SD cards, which I keep in my transmitter shoulder strap and harness. I also keep copies on my PC ( sim computer ) in case the SD cards get damaged.

The model memory slots are not touched, and a good thing too, because of Spektrum's patented "Model Match" technology.

marcus

SPQR33

Marcus: Thanks. Model configuration settings Exported to an SD card successfully. I used one of those slow & low Class 4 4Gb micro SD cards I mentioned to you. I‘m still newly exploring all that these DX radios have to offer. Good to know my DX8G2 can hold my settings fast when I Export a “model” configuration. If I understand you, that DX “Model Match” feature you mentioned implies it should allow for the following: Say that I get that new second 1.2m Twin Otter airplane. Radio on, system set up, model name, add a new model and rename with icon, select that model, then bind that model. If so, it would make flying two (or several more) different planes with the same radio much easier a task. Thanks again.

marcushh777

If I understand you, that DX “Model Match” feature you mentioned implies it should allow for the following: Say that I get that new second 1.2m Twin Otter airplane
Spektrum's patented "Model Match" technology works together with 'bind' to prevent the 'wrong' model from being used to control a given 'real' aircraft.

In 'bind' the transmitter's mac id is registered with the receiver. This is 'always' the case. The transmitter is bound to the receiver (never get confused about this). "Model Match" adds an additional safe-guard. When the transmitter is bound to the receiver the model's memory slot number (on the transmitter) is also stored in the receiver. The receiver ignores all other transmitters due to the 'bind'... but also, the receiver also ignores the bound transmitter IF and ONLY IF the model slot number has changed, or does not 'match'.

Consider: Let's suppose you fly your 'flying wing' and then decide to fly your Carbon Cub. The transmitter is bound to both aircraft. Now let's suppose you 'forget' to select the Cub model in your transmitter and you continue to try and control your Cub after flying the 'flying wing' model slot. This will fail, and save you a probable destroyed Cub. Even though the transmitter is bound to the Cub, the Cub's receiver still ignores the transmitter because the model slot number in the Cub receiver does not 'match' the model slot of the transmitter 'flying wing'.

"Model Match" allows the DX8G2 to hold many model slots ( I have almost a dozen in mine ) and not end up in a scenario where the wrong model slot in the transmitter would get used on a wrong real model. The models must 'match'. Only Spektrum transmitters | receivers have this feature ( one of the reasons I use them exclusively ).

marcus

SPQR33

M...7: Yep, I made all of those assumptions above as well. Model Select means just that, if you don't "select" the right plane that's already "binded", you'll lose a good piece of your investment. Speaking of investing again, I just bought that E-F Twin Otter X1.2m BNF plane, with tons of spare parts props, shaft adapters, motors, hatches, batteries); all while still available. Second bad eye cataract surgery is next Wednesday (had first bad eye done last Wednesday), and I'm planning on lots of fiddle time while that eye heals... The reason for the new airplane; something familiar to do. Right size for me; I like foam planes that're easy/cheap to repair, plus I can now begin being able to see them against the sky (at RC field yesterday, Had fun watching others fly). Once again, my thanks for your expert help with confusing issues.

marcushh777

M...7: Yep, I made all of those assumptions above as well. Model Select means just that, if you don't "select" the right plane that's already "binded", you'll lose a good piece of your investment.
No, not so much. "Model Match" (model select) means that if you don't 'select' the plane that's already "binded", you won't loose anything... IT JUST WON'T WORK. And only Spektrum protects you this way.
You must 'select' the model that matches the receiver that was previously 'bound' using the selected model memory slot number. In other words, a selected model will NOT WORK unless the model memory slot number 'matches' the model number stored in the 'matching' receiver. This intensifies what 'bind' means on Spektrum equipment.

marcus

SPQR33

Marcus: Sorry taking some time to get back to you Re: Exporting, Binding, and Model Selecting. Had to wait for my sets of Universal Binding Plugs to arrive, as using the Receiver’s and DX’s binding buttons doesn’t keep the receiver and radio far enough apart for a successful binding. Got the new Twin Otter fully assembled, detailed, C-G centered, got my DX8G2 fully Binded and extensively programmed with some of my “special” flight controls mixing hacks I learned from my Night Timber install. It appears that as long as you have a “Model” Bound to the DX radio, you can switch between them by simply Selecting that Model. So flying two planes during an RC field outing is a simple process of Model Selection. No Re-Binding process necessary. Tested it twice both ways with great success getting both planes to run. EZ-PZ. Also easily Exported both the Night Timber and the Twin Otter planes to the micro SD card, and a copy saved to my PC. Thanks again for your help.

marcushh777

So flying two planes during an RC field outing is a simple process of Model Selection. No Re-Binding process necessary. Tested it twice both ways with great success getting both planes to run.
Quite true ! Just so long as the model memory slots don't change.

For instance... don't delete a model memory you don't think you need any longer (for whatever reason) because all the model slots will bump up one number and you'll have to rebind all of them !

Also, don't insert a model in the middle of the model slots ! Always add a new model to the end... or you'll be rebinding.

marcus

SPQR33

Now that is some good advice everyone can use. This is not stated in the DX8G2’s manual. But with 250 slots available, I don’t think I’ll ever have that many planes. See you in the air someday. Thanks.