F-111 build thread

technoid

I would like to know peoples thoughts on the plane below and a model of it for rf

I think it would be cool project I was thinking someday I'd do an ultra lite but never did it. But the Junk Plane I keep talking about is a lot like that. Ha.. I was thinking about an old Ford Flat Head V8 for power, like I said a Junk Plane made out of what's laying around. So YEAH do it I'd love to watch that build.

asj5547

Thanks for the EF-111 beta, WOW what an incredible model, excellent work Legoman.
Spawns and fly's great in RF 9.5, love the swept wing function and tank drops.
Spawns as a drone in RF-X, places the model parked sideways on the runway.
Only had to increase landing gear strength (due to no collision mesh) which will not be a problem in the final release product and Yes the EF-111 fly's great in RF-X

Attachments

uncle twist

RE; the Beta, I don`t usually try them out, but I just might in this case, if so, I`ll report back....RE: the Breezy..by all means build it if you desire, it certainly is a unique plane...AND Tech. won`t have to worry about cabanes blocking his field of view (somewhat of an inside joke...I think/hope)...flying the real plane out in the open like that must be a real thrill to say the least...I recall you mentioning the plane in a poll...is that correct ???? perhaps your dad flew one..???, again, I don`t recall...:confused::confused:

legoman

yes My dad did own one and I flew in it many times I started I have seen some family photos with 2-3 year old me in them riding in the back seat with my mother.

Everywhere you look is an unobstructed view although it was hard for me to put the googles and leather cap on with my glasses. the best way I can put it is it is an experience. think motor cycle with a 1000x better view, no crazy cars to avoid/watch for, and not restricted to roads.

uncle twist

Ha Ha, if parents did that these days, they would be arrested for reckless child endangerment...AHHH, the good ole` days....yeah, I thought about the motorcycle comparison, you do have to watch out for big bugs/birds though...so goggle`s would have been nice,...nothing like getting hit in the eye at 80 +/- m.p.h., ask me how I know.. very/extremely painful...I always wore eye protection after that incident on my motorcycle...

legoman

Ha Ha, if parents did that these days, they would be arrested for reckless child endangerment...AHHH, the good ole` days....yeah, I thought about the motorcycle comparison, you do have to watch out for big bugs/birds though...so goggle`s would have been nice,...nothing like getting hit in the eye at 80 +/- m.p.h., ask me how I know.. very/extremely painful...I always wore eye protection after that incident on my motorcycle...
there is a lap belt so perfectly safe. heck cars did not have airbags or seat belts for how long and we are still here.

birds are typically below the normal airplane flying height and bugs usually stay very low they dont fly well in wind. at least in south florida. if you are flying lower enough to be hit a bird you are either in takeoff, landing, preying you survive the unplanned stop in your flight. the goggles are more for keeping your eyes for drying out in the wind. the best view is not tree top its at 600-1000 feet birds at that height are in large formations going cross country.

uncle twist

I agree on all points, but at some point, you do have to cross that threshold where bugs/birds are, just ask Capt Sully.... 😉 😉 :)...As far as the view ..I agree, I would prefer to fly low for the view/detail of the terrain, but more for the sensation of speed, especially if it`s a faster plane....the view is pretty amazing at any alt. IMHO.

Rc51dude

Back in the late 80s there used to be a retired 747 captain that bought a little run down airport in Mentone Indiana, He built a huge house on it and ran a skydiving school out of it, He owned a Pilatus PC-6 Porter that was used for the jump plane. He also had a PZL-104 Wilga and a blue Breezy. Short story long.... my best friend at the time and myself used to ride our bicycles from my house to that little airport, bout a 6 mile ride if I recall. We had to be only 13 or 14 or 15 years old or there abouts. We used to just sit in the parking lot and watch the things that were happening, one day an skydive instructor came out and asked why we just sit in the parking lot. We didnt know what to say. He invited us "in", he introduced us to the owner of the airport, I wish like hell I could remember the Captains name. I wanna say it was a normal name like Bob or something. He took all afternoon to show us the hangar, all his planes, his house, the skydive classroom..... at the end of the day when we needed to pedal our butts home, he told use to bring our dads by, and if we did that we could go hang out there all we wanted. I told my dad about it and he was stoked, he drove me out there one weekend so I could let him meet the owner of the airport, My dad being retired 20 years Navy, he hit it off quick with the Captain. I cant remember if my best friend got his dad to go out there? (well he had to of otherwise we couldn't have done all that happened following) ANYWAY, the owner of the airport told my dad that we were welcome to come and hang out anytime we wanted.

Ok so now that the meet and greets were over, my friend and I spent a couple summers riding our bikes to that airport every chance we could get, we had free reign to do anything we wanted within reason, he could tell we were good kids and respected his place, we hung out in the hangars, we sat in on jump school classes, helped fuel planes, helped grounds keep, explored the old hangar and office that had fallen in on itself shott pool in the basement of the house, swam in the pool in the same basement, WE JUST DID WHATEVER WE WANTED.

Then one day it happened, the Captain asked if we wanted to fly!! WE ALL BUT FAINTED. I said I dunno? I have to ask my parents, he said don't worry about it, that was why I asked you to bring your fathers out to meet? Turns out my dad and the Capt had a private conversation while I was being distracted by shiny things, ultimately he asked my dad if it was ok if he took us up in his aircraft.

We got so many rides in that Wilga, and Breezy, he would take the Breezy and damn near drag the wheels through the trees, landings were the best, there was a small patch of woods on the north west corner to the runway, he would skim the fields low and pop us up over the patch of woods and yank it around get lined up and slap us down on the runway, he would call ahead too my dad and tell him to be outside around such and such time, he would fly us to our houses and buzz our pasture and freak out our horses, my dad loved it, mom not so much.

The Wilga could be outfitted with snow skis, so naturally snow didn't stop him, he took us off in the grass along side the runway in the snow one time and flew us to Rochester Indiana and flew us around the lake Manitou. That was the first and only time I saw a frozen lake from above.

He would let us ride up in the jump plane, and watch the skydivers jump out, that about made me sick to my stomach, why on earth you would want to jump from a perfectly good airplane was beyond me. And then the best part the pilot would chop the throttle and pitch down and free fall the plane along side the skydivers, That is an image I will never forget, hanging from my seatbelt looking out the window at the skydivers free falling, then looking out the front windshield at the ground screaming and laughing with pure excitement and adrenalin pumping. After that rollercoasters never had the same appeal LOL

ANYWAY sorry lego, for a long winded story in the middle of your build thread, but when you said Breezy a flood of memories came back too me..

Ill take a blue Breezy please.

Last edited: