F-16 C Build Thread

abaser

Are you looking to do something like you and I did with my Pawnee landing gear? I’m on my phone so I’m having trouble selling what’s going on in the video.

Boof69

I have been struggling with the landing gear as I always do with jets. Lots of geometry to wrap my head around. These wheels all pivot to fit within these small gear wells. The front gear is a tight fit even though the wheels are comically tiny on the F-16. These are some screen grabs for some sort of update on this build.

Attachments

Boof69

Thanks Tech. I am shocked I still remember some of my old modeling techniques. Still fun too.

uncle twist

I remember you mentioned the gear in an earlier post, so I googled/youtubed them, saw some very short vids, showing their operation, needless to say, I thought "OH BOY you`re going to have your hands full doing those", BUT, knew you`d be able to pull it off eventually, like you did with the Corsair....Anyway, I know you`re not done yet, but, they`re looking Fantastic at this point Boof,..GREAT WORK...!!! (y) (y) (y) :D

Boof69

Gear sure are frustrating but so rewarding when you finally see them move in the sim. Your very kind. Thanks for the supportive words Twist.

asj5547

Super clean lines on the wireframe, it will be a shame to have to cover them with paint, certainly a master builder at work.
Good luck with the gear animation, now I am trying to figure out how ground contact sensor gets mixed into there. !

Boof69

Wow everyone. Thanks so much.
I had to start mapping the fuselage because it has some asymmetrical details so The mapping needs to be done now to take advantage of duplicating left to right side mapping. Making new details after mapping will mess up some UV's but this will be faster overall. I like the way this render looks for some reason.

Attachments

uncle twist

Ha Ha, I like the way the render looks as well, Just don`t use it as a CS, :).. I see the landing gear looking Great at this point, is t complete..??.....Thanks for the update Boof...!! (y) :confused:

Boof69

No that's a proofing texture. If all the numbers look good I know that my cs will turn out. As for the gear no more progress on that front. The F-16 gear is really complicated and most of my problem is the knuckle where 4 separate parts of the gear converge.