Goldberg Super Chipmunk

technoid

I want to model the Super Chipmunk using the Goldberg plans but I want to make it large enough to see really well in RealFlight so I need to scale it up from the original kit's 64 inch wingspan. So I thought before I start I'd get some ideas from you guys on the wingspan. If you look around you can find Super Chipmunk kits about any size you want so what size would you guys like to see. I have a size in mind but I want to see what you guys say first then I'll share what size I like. But larger than the Tiger 120.

Carl Goldberg.jpg

BrokeDad

I like the double sized ones I did of the 120. You can see them very well (especially us old guys). So that size or somewhere in between would be good.

I'm waiting for round one of the snow to end. Then we get really buried tonight. I will probably do a pass around 9pm so it isn't so much in the AM. I know people in Texas that are saying they are getting rolling blackouts on their power due to the cold and snow.

doug schluter

I want to model the Super Chipmunk using the Goldberg plans but I want to make it large enough to see really well in RealFlight so I need to scale it up from the original kit's 64 inch wingspan. So I thought before I start I'd get some ideas from you guys on the wingspan. If you look around you can find Super Chipmunk kits about any size you want so what size would you guys like to see. I have a size in mind but I want to see what you guys say first then I'll share what size I like. But larger than the Tiger 120.

View attachment 123490
i built one of these back in 1998 and flew it for a while on wheels and floats i used a Saito 80 4 stroke and 14X6 prop on it done it the usual Pennzoil CS , i think myself for the sim one built for size , 90 to 120 in span with the weight and power to suit would be good , just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:

technoid

Well I have to admit I haven't been thinking too much about the Chipmunk with everything else that's going on so I guess it's kind of on hold for now. But as far as size is concerned I'm thinking a 100 in wingspan. That's large enough to see pretty well but still small enough it looks like a normal RC plane in RealFlight, not too giant.

doug schluter

S
Well I have to admit I haven't been thinking too much about the Chipmunk with everything else that's going on so I guess it's kind of on hold for now. But as far as size is concerned I'm thinking a 100 in wingspan. That's large enough to see pretty well but still small enough it looks like a normal RC plane in RealFlight, not too giant.
sounds just right to me as well , i'm looking forward to this one , the Add-on one is not good at all the color map is not good at all nothing ligns up and the sides of the fuse and V-tail are different size to each other so what you put on one side (decals and other lines are inverted and have to be sized down to come out right looking in the sim
as well as the main wing , so not fun doing any kind os CS's for that one :)

technoid

S

sounds just right to me as well , i'm looking forward to this one , the Add-on one is not good at all the color map is not good at all nothing ligns up and the sides of the fuse and V-tail are different size to each other so what you put on one side (decals and other lines are inverted and have to be sized down to come out right looking in the sim
as well as the main wing , so not fun doing any kind os CS's for that one :)
I need to look at the map I have the plane but it looks like a Chipmunk instead of a Super Chipmunk so I haven't messed with it other than take a quick look when you released the AV and CS for it, that CS looks really good.

doug schluter

I downloaded the Goldberg Super Chipmunk plans and cut them up and made a template to model from. I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1. What engine 4-Stroke or Gas?
2. Do we want flaps they're an option in the plans?

Here's a picture of the plan I created to model from.

View attachment 123616
yes on the flaps :) the one i built i put flaps on it had lots of fun with it , i even flew it on floats with no issues