Goldberg Super Chipmunk

technoid

I worked on the part weights this afternoon and have the plane weight pretty much sorted out. I still have more work to do but I'm getting close to having a first pass of the physics finished. But I still have some work to get the CG were I want it. Of course I tend to have a fairly mild CG because I like easy flying planes I'm not much of a hot dogger anymore I just like to fly around and watch the plane. But it's time to cook something to eat and watch a movie with the wife.

asj5547

Techniod I have a mapping question.
So I tried the map buttons you recommended and YES I like that technique, the only problem is how do you get both sides and top and bottom planar views to stay visible, I can get the "Z" projection to show but as soon as I planar project the "X" the other views disappear, I usually just collapse the stack to save UVmaps but even that does not work for me.

This is what I have been using, (picture below)
I select "Open UV Editor" click on Mapping (top bar) to get drop down list and select "Normal Mapping" and then Box Mapping.
This works okay but as you can see there is a lot of detail missing on the side views. whereas the "X" projections on your method work perfect.

Attachments

technoid

Techniod I have a mapping question.
So I tried the map buttons you recommended and YES I like that technique, the only problem is how do you get both sides and top and bottom planar views to stay visible, I can get the "Z" projection to show but as soon as I planar project the "X" the other views disappear, I usually just collapse the stack to save UVmaps but even that does not work for me.

This is what I have been using, (picture below)
I select "Open UV Editor" click on Mapping (top bar) to get drop down list and select "Normal Mapping" and then Box Mapping.
This works okay but as you can see there is a lot of detail missing on the side views. whereas the "X" projections on your method work perfect.
I'm not sure I understood what you mean about not being able to keep all the mapped parts visible but here's what I do. First I make ALL the parts I'm going to map VISIBLE and hide all the parts I'm not going to map and apply the Unwrap UVW modifier to ALL of them at the same time. That takes a while to apply and after that I save the max file. Then to map I'll select the part or parts I want to map and hide the other parts so the only thing visible is what I'm going to map. Let's say I want to map a simple box fuselage. I select ALL the polys that make up the Left Side then select the "X" axis add press the map button. Then I move the part I mapped OFF the grid to the left and deselect it. Then I select all the polys in the Top of the Fuselage and select the "Z" axis and press the map button. Then I move the part I mapped to the left and align it perfectly on the "front" and "rear" edges of the first part then I move the Top of the fuselage UP over the Left Side of the fuselage and deselect it. Then I select all the polys in the Right side of the fuselage and select the "X" axis again and press the map button. Then I move the mapped part over to the left and align it with the front and back edges of the first part again and move it down this time below the left side and deselect it. Then I select all the polys in the bottom and choose the "Z" axis again and press the map button. Then I move the mapped part to the left and align it on the front and back edges of the first part and then move it down below the right side of the fuselage. So I end up with, from the Top Down, the Fuselage Top, Fuselage Left Side, Fuselage Right Side, and the Fuselage Bottom. So I have all four sides of the fuselage stacked. Hopefully that's what you're looking for. I only have ONE side of the Fuselage selected at any one time when I press the Map button so the other parts stay where they are. Once I finish mapping the fuselage I'll select all four sides and move them somewhere on the grid out of the way and do the same thing again with the next part I want to map.

Oh I make a selection list called "All Mapped Parts" so I can make all the mapped parts visible easily to pick the next part I want to map from, then hide the unselected parts so the only thing visible is the part or parts I'm going to map.

I seem to remember watching a video about doing it this way but I don't know where it is or who did it but for some reason it didn't seem to be Scott (Boof69).

technoid

ASJ. One thing I forgot to mention in my example of mapping a simple box fuselage. The first step was to select all the polys in the Left Side of the Fuselage and select the "X" axis then press the map button. What I didn't mention is for each part you map you may need to Mirror or Rotate the part to get it in the correct orientation before you move it off the grid. Like when you press the map button for the Left Side of the Fuselage it's usually shown pointing to the Right after mapping instead of the left so I use the Mirror button to flip it horizontally. And the Top and Bottom of the Fuselage after pressing the Map button will usually need to be rotated to get them in the correct orientation.

Last edited:

asj5547

Yes I use the L, T, and B display buttons (Left Top Bottom) and manually selecting "Right" in viewport, I figured it would need a mirror to get the left side view.
Step one in your process you said map all parts and save the file, what do I save the file as (.uvw or .max) and do I use the save button located below the 3 buttons you recommended. ?

technoid

Yes I use the L, T, and B display buttons (Left Top Bottom) and manually selecting "Right" in viewport, I figured it would need a mirror to get the left side view.
Step one in your process you said map all parts and save the file, what do I save the file as (.uvw or .max) and do I use the save button located below the 3 buttons you recommended. ?
Just to make sure here's what I do in the First Step. I call it getting ready to map.

I select all the parts I'm going to map and then hide all the other parts. Then I make a selection list called All Mapped Parts so I can use it to get back all the mapped parts anytime I want.

Then I select all the mapped parts and apply the Unwrap UVW modifier to them.

Then I open the mapping window which takes some time to open doing whatever it does internally.

Once the mapping window is open I save the file (which would be a max file). I don't know anything about a .uvw file I just save it as I normally do.

Then after I save the file I start selecting and mapping parts.

asj5547

Thanks for the mapping help Technoid, I could not get the result I wanted using the tool in auto mode, I had to delete all the seams that max uses and drop some cut seams of my own on the fuselage, then hit the Expand to seam selection button (fills seam selection with poly's) and then use the buttons you recommended (they will save me a lot of time).
Mapped all sides separately, just had to mirror the left side (that was displayed as Right).

Attachments

Last edited:

technoid

Thanks for the mapping help Technoid, I could not get the result I wanted using the tool in auto mode, I had to delete all the seams that max uses and drop some cut seams of my own on the fuselage, then hit the Expand to seam selection button (fills seam selection with poly's) and then use the buttons you recommended (they will save me a lot of time).
Mapped all sides separately, just had to mirror the left side (that was displayed as Right).
I've never had to do anything with the seams 3ds Max creates and haven't cut any of my own. But I have ignored the seams a few times and selected the polys I wanted to map sometimes before the seam sometimes after the seam (the seams 3ds max creates on it's own). But it sounds like you got where you wanted to be, so good deal.

doug schluter

Art Scholl's Super Chipmunk has retracts.
Note how Art Scholl stands up in the cockpit to give the crowd a wave (1:32 minutes into video.)
Maybe we can persuade Technoid to model a pilot and animate it for slow fly bye waving action.:):):)

dhk79 modeled a biplane with a pilot waving , i would have to go look for it , found it