Goldberg Super Chipmunk

technoid

I detached the cowl and added a shell to create an engine compartment with a firewall. Then I re-attached the cowl to the fuselage and welded all the vertices so the fuselage is back to normal except it has an engine compartment. So now I need to decide what I want to do about an engine. Here's a couple of options I'm thinking about.

1. Add my twin or four cylinder four stroke engine so you can see it through the cowl intakes with exhaust pipes out the bottom of the cowl.

2. Add my single cylinder four stroke engine on it's side with the cowl cutout around the engine like you see in a real RC plane.

The RealFlight O.S. FT 300 Gemini engine sound profile sounds really good.

doug schluter

both are okay to me so your choice , but the one i did in my Stamp biplane was a single cylinder Saito 4 Stroke inverted (cylinder down) as that fit best with a high crank center line in the cowl , the saito 80 4 stroke single i did put in my Goldberg Super Chipmunk was sideways but did sit right at the top of the cowl had a high cutout . does that make any sense ? haha , so i'm thinking if you use a single inverted with the head cutout down and exhaust out the bottom left side works good , the twins or 4 cylinders of course sideways.

technoid

both are okay to me so your choice , but the one i did in my Stamp biplane was a single cylinder Saito 4 Stroke inverted (cylinder down) as that fit best with a high crank center line in the cowl , the saito 80 4 stroke single i did put in my Goldberg Super Chipmunk was sideways but did sit right at the top of the cowl had a high cutout . does that make any sense ? haha , so i'm thinking if you use a single inverted with the head cutout down and exhaust out the bottom left side works good , the twins or 4 cylinders of course sideways.
Thanks Doug I may end up using a horizontal four stroke engine so I don't have to cutout the cowl and do the plane more like a real plane and leave off the servos too. I have the picture you sent me of your Super Chipmunk on floats and saw the engine on it.

doug schluter

Thanks Doug I may end up using a horizontal four stroke engine so I don't have to cutout the cowl and do the plane more like a real plane and leave off the servos too. I have the picture you sent me of your Super Chipmunk on floats and saw the engine on it.
yes like you mentioned before that leaves it good to go for electrics and having your exaust pipes on engine to show you have it good for both versions

technoid

I ended up going with Doug's suggestion to invert the engine and cutout the cowl. The plane ended up with a 90 inch wingspan using an 18 inch prop. I haven't cutout the cowl yet I just finished resizing everything and finishing the schematic.

I tried putting the OS FT-300 twin in it but that engine is 9.5 inches wide and to fit it in the cowl the plane needed to have a 132 inch wingspan and I didn't want a plane that large. So I rescaled the plane to fit the FS-200 which gave me a 90 inch wingspan so I went with that. Of course that means no electric version unless you want to see the engine. Sorry I guess I just like seeing an engine on a plane.

Here's a picture of it with a 90 inch wingspan and an OS FS-200 using a 18 inch prop.

Goldberg Super Chipmunk 24.jpg

technoid

i made removable light plywood hatches with the servo mounted on them 6 screws to remove them once you disconected the servo control horn linkage , the servos were mounted sideways on the hatch with the control horn sticking out a slot
Okay so the servos are hidden below the hatch with only the servo arm sticking through a slot. Did you do that for the ailerons and flaps? So four servos or per the plan with one servo for both ailerons.

doug schluter

There's really not much of a cockpit in this plane but I just created what's there (dash and seat back).

View attachment 123975
nice cockpit and the wheel pants are excellent as well , my Goldberg Super Chipmunk came with the cockpit and wheel pants i detailed it so so looked really nice the wheel pants i never got around to installing as i mostly flew it on floats with maybe 10 flights on wheels :)