How do you load the B-25 bombay with droppable stuff?

N8LBV

In a multiplayer session last night I was asked how to load a droppable bomb into the Stock B-25 that is in RF 9.5
I was not able to quickly figure this out.

I could open and close the bomb bay doors with CH 8 on the Interlink DX.
But had no idea how to load a bomb or anything else into the airplane.

Any pointers would be greatly apperciated!

Thanks

marcushh777

Many of our jets have drop-able payloads; albeit, they are mounted on the wings! But, the technique is the same for a bomb bay... just, the payload is inside. In my view, it could be two controls (open) (drop), but it could also be one control with a delay (open) delay (drop).

PS edit: well, yeah, the plane is going to have to be modified in 3DSMax; or maybe the editor (or both)

marcus

N8LBV

Sorry, let me rephrase that question a bit:

RF 9.5 comes with a B-25 Mitchell.
It has bomb bay doors that open and close.
Does it come with the capability of actually loading bombs and dropping them?
Or does it only have doors that open and close with no way to use them?
If there is a way to drop things out of it how do you actually do this?
Thanks!

marcushh777

hi, yeah, I knew what you meant;

I've played with the B-25 Mitchell myself; someone so inclined will need to modify the aircraft ( an AV ) to give it bombs, and a control(s) to drop them. Whoever did the EA did not provide that functionality. Similar, if you were to purchase the B-25 Mitchell from the current "Confederate Airforce," it would come with working bomb bay doors but would definitely not come with bombs. Nor would you be able to buy your own authentic bombs for it! You would have to build your own bombs, and then you'd have to figure out a way to load and mount them so that an authentic bombardier could release them!

We need to get someone so inclined to make a B-25 Mitchell AV with authentic drop-able payload(s). The current model vehicle has bombs painted inside (part of current CS), but the physics lack the bombs (only bomb bay doors). Switch (B) closes the doors pos2; opens the doors pos1, but does not drop bombs in pos0.

The EA only presents the payloads as part of the CS. That will need to change. The AV will need to add the bombs, provide a pivot point(s), and assign a release control ( switch B pos0 ).

Then, of course, anyone who wants to use this new Mitchell B-25 with Payload in multi-player will have to down-load the new AV, and CS... otherwise, you're B-25 Mitchell will appear to them as a blue smurf.

PS edit: ha! I actually landed that damn thing tonight; first time!

marcus

Last edited:

marcushh777

On the swap pages there are already B-25 Mitchell AV(s) that have working machine guns, and drop-able payloads; the two I looked at required the EA from Expansion Pack (4). That member put up an initial AV, and then an update AV. Check 'em out!

marcus

N8LBV

Thanks! I had no idea if this was a built in feature or if stuff like this could simply be added or turned on from the aircraft editor.

asj5547

As noted by Marcushh777 you need to have bombs modeled in the original 3dD files to be able to make them droppable.
But you can simulate bomb release using a Rocket Launcher.
Here is an AV with Rocket Launcher (I renamed RL to Bomb Drop) and modified the RL settings, for instance make sure inclination is set to max down (-89 degrees) and reduce the Launch Velocity (FPS) was 328 modified down to 40.
Bomb Bay Doors are on channel 8 ... 3-way switch.
Switch down = doors closed
Switch center = doors open
Switch up = bombs drop
Not exactly realistic bomb action, but just for fun.

Attachments

asj5547

The Rocket Launcher (Bomb Drop) has a capacity of 24, releasing 2 drop items at a time, so you can move the 3-way switch back to center position after a "drop" and then to the up position again to drop ordinance for 12 times during the flight before reset.
(you can change that in the editor to whatever you like).