How to add Controllable Doors to custom aircraft

trevis281

Hello all,

How do you add gear doors to a model in the physics editor? I am trying to add doors that can be open or closed by a radio channel button (grey):
1626733436406.png
But I don't see an option to add doors in the physics menu. I tried adding a rotated landing gear instead to have the same effect, but there was no retract servo option in the retract servo menu and it could fit the doors with the "fit to visual" option:
1626733801186.png
In summary, if anyone could tell me how to add vertically rotatable doors, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

legoman

Retracts and gear doors use nup commands although moveable pods should be able to do what I think you are trying to accomplish

Knife Edge Software KEmax Plane Tutorial

the plane looks like it it is imported on the wrong axis. I can see why you have the plane angled that way for spawning to take off. RF uses some reserved names to place the aircraft on the ground at the correct angle
~CS_SG, ~CS_SW Steering Gear & Wheel
~CS_LG, ~CS_LW Left Gear & Wheel
~CS_RG, ~CS_RW Right Gear & Wheel

trevis281

So I should import it horizontally? I'm a bit confused because those doors at the bottom aren't supposed to be landing gears and shouldn't touch the ground. How should moveable pods be used here? I've been using them to make things vertical but is there a way to use them to rotate via a servo?

legoman

So I should import it horizontally? I'm a bit confused because those doors at the bottom aren't supposed to be landing gears and shouldn't touch the ground. How should moveable pods be used here? I've been using them to make things vertical but is there a way to use them to rotate via a servo?
So I should import it horizontally?
- Yes. Rf expects the primary airflow to happen in that direction. If it is built on a different axis RF will try and calculate the fuselage drag weirdly.

I've been using them to make things vertical but is there a way to use them to rotate via a servo?
- Yes. In the moveable pod add a servo to the rotation servo that is the axis you want. you can add servos (and other parts too) in the electronics tab.
2021-07-19 18_13_59-Window.jpg
2021-07-19 18_18_00-Window.jpg

some parts named ~CS_SW ~CS_RW, and ~CS_LW in the parts that touch the ground. they can be very small and inside the tip skids. below is a picture of a tail sitter I have done before. the parts in red are the named parts they could be made smaller and hidden inside of a larger object.
2021-07-19 18_59_53-Window.jpg2021-07-19 18_20_55-Window.jpg

the plane in the pictures XFX-2 Waterfall_EA | Knife Edge Forums

Attachments

trevis281

Thanks so much, legoman! You've been a huge help so far!

I was able to add the moveable doors and sg/sw for the correct starting position, thanks to your help. I have another question, right now I am trying to work out how to best fit the shape of my vehicle because I'm noticing adding wings means having a set overall shape and doesn't add abstract curves to wings and such.

For instance, when trying to fit a wing to any part of the middle of the drone, the result looks something like this:

I have designed the drone to be a blended wing, and am having trouble translating that to realflight. My current set up is like this like this:
1626845851589.png
Trying to mimic the shape as closely as I can, ignoring the fuselage (that has a poor fit itself), but even still it flies super wonky.

I was wondering if you or anyone else might have any input on how to structure the physics to best represent the drone, or more generally how to manipulate the shape of object frames in the physics menu if the "fit to visual" option doesn't work well. I have also attached the _EA for what I have right now if that's any help.

I have also put floats in for my stands on the left and right, is that the correct use of floats? Thanks so much for the help everyone!

Attachments

Last edited:

legoman

Thanks so much, legoman! You've been a huge help so far!

I was able to add the moveable doors and sg/sw for the correct starting position, thanks to your help. I have another question, right now I am trying to work out how to best fit the shape of my vehicle because I'm noticing adding wings means having a set overall shape and doesn't add abstract curves to wings and such.

For instance, when trying to fit a wing to any part of the middle of the drone, the result looks something like this:

I have designed the drone to be a blended wing, and am having trouble translating that to realflight. My current set up is like this like this:
View attachment 125566
Trying to mimic the shape as closely as I can, ignoring the fuselage (that has a poor fit itself), but even still it flies super wonky.

I was wondering if you or anyone else might have any input on how to structure the physics to best represent the drone, or more generally how to manipulate the shape of object frames in the physics menu if the "fit to visual" option doesn't work well. I have also attached the _EA for what I have right now if that's any help.

I have also put floats in for my stands on the left and right, is that the correct use of floats? Thanks so much for the help everyone!
I attached a plane that has what I would do for the wing. it still needs the CG placed better so it will transition better. what I did was child the wings to each other. it prevents the inner wing segments from tip stalling

Floats are usually for landing on water. I don't think it has any differences to a fuselage

Attachments

trevis281

How were you able to change the thickness (or I guess z dimension) of the wings? I am trying to recreate what you did to understand it better and I don't know how you got the wings to be "thicker/thinner", especially the middle nested wings that are thicker on one side than the other. When I match all the parameters or try or fit them to visual it doesn't look the same.

Also, is there a way to reflect the effect of the doors opening and closing in the physics? Or is it best to just leave the doors as weightless objects and shape the wings as if the doors were closed?

legoman

How were you able to change the thickness (or I guess z dimension) of the wings? I am trying to recreate what you did to understand it better and I don't know how you got the wings to be "thicker/thinner", especially the middle nested wings that are thicker on one side than the other. When I match all the parameters or try or fit them to visual it doesn't look the same.

Also, is there a way to reflect the effect of the doors opening and closing in the physics? Or is it best to just leave the doors as weightless objects and shape the wings as if the doors were closed?
you can change the thickness of the wing by changing the airfoil. you can reverse the servo or swap the min and max rotations.