Importing Add Ons on Real Flight 9.5

Mitch58

I have downloaded the add ons 1-5 and have unzipped them with WinZip. I've put them into the game file but the game doesn't read/see them. I've removed them and tried over several times but still no luck. I tried to follow the exact instructions on the download site but my computer doesn't give me the same options as the instructions say. I have windows 10, I don't know if that makes a difference.

12oclockhigh

You will have to have admin privileges to change something in Program Files. Don't start if you do not have it.

I think that you are having problems with unzipping the files.
You need to look in the;
C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight9\Data <-----Subdirectory.
You should see these files listed.
RFAOV1_G4.dck
RFAOV2_G4.dck
RFAOV3_G4.dck
RFAOV4_G4.dck
RFAOV5_G4.dck

If you do not see those files listed, then you have not unzipped the downloads to the correct directory.
I know the instructions say download to the desktop, but I would just download it to a downloads directory(pay attention to where you save it) and unzip from there into the program files directory. I hate cluttering the desktop.

Here is the link to DL the Free Add-On aircraft:
https://www.realflight.com/support/kb/article.php?q=16-1033

Last edited:

BrokeDad

It shocks me how many don't know how to get to what used to be called File Manager these days. Right click on the Windows icon on lower left then select file explorer. That should let you move stuff around if you need to because you didn't extract them in the proper place.

PilotAt6

BrokeDad Replied:" It shocks me how many don't know how to get to what used to be called File Manager these days. "

I agree that some computer methodology is being lost.
I will say this .... that the Real Flight program knows where they belong, so instead of just giving us a few aircraft and airports and calling it a new version .... They could be working on utilities that support their program. Maybe their search for a new game engine engineer will get us some needed improvements and utilities ? A definite Maybe ! :LOL: :rolleyes::unsure::whistle:

12oclockhigh

I think that Apple's computer is to blame. Apple's file system is **$@. You never know where anything is stored. People are dumbed down to not knowing how to create and use the file system of windows. It is easy and effective. Yet even engineers have difficulty. The new WinZip is trying to cover for users not knowing how to store and retrieve items. Just learn it.

PilotAt6

Where are the good file clerks when you need them? Guess they are with the typist! I need an ABC Keyboard ... stuck with this odd keyboard that start's with "Q" ... typist and typewriters have been non existent for 5+ decades.
Good Lord ... are we stuck in the 60's ?
However ... IMO ... the files created or needed might be better in the same file folder as the program that created them ... and also in an appropriate sub folder in that program. Wonder what a good file clerk would recommend? Wonder if there is an archived book on this subject? Satire anyone? :LOL:

PilotAt6

The QWERTY layout depicted in Sholes's 1878 patent
The construction of the "Type Writer" had two flaws that made the product susceptible to jams. Firstly, characters were mounted on metal arms or type bars, which would clash and jam if neighbouring arms were pressed at the same time or in rapid succession. Secondly, its printing point was located beneath the paper carriage, invisible to the operator, a so-called "up-stroke" design. Consequently, jams were especially serious, because the typist could only discover the mishap by raising the carriage to inspect what had been typed.

I knew why then ... but why now ??? :unsure: We have not had mechanical "typewriters" for longer than 5 decades.
I also know the old argument of many learned on them so lets keep it for "now" (they are gone now or out of the workplace) !
So why do we still teach QWERT? Tradition !!!!! Nobody likes change .... to expensive to convert ??? ... Lazy ???

Maybe it's the same reason we are stuck between metric and US units of measurement ??? Which is .... Why ?????:LOL::unsure:
Oh well ... hope COVID is gone soon ... I'm going nut's.

Last edited:

uncle twist

It`s just what people are accustomed to, imagine changing the layout now, the financial implications would be astronomical....If it ain`t broke,...don`t fix it...

PilotAt6

So it's tradition and money ... I think a person can learn ABC as fast or faster than QWERT, especially a non type-er or 6 year old starting first grade. And changing the cable into the computer is not a big deal. BTW ... I believe Apple tried converting everyone to ABC ... As for money ... COVID has already cost us 5 Trillion + ... and it's not over, and they are not done counting ... if they are even counting correctly ... isn't that discussing .. sorry I even thought of that.

It's been broke for a long time IMO ... or $0.012
I did service work on computerized equipment for foundries. The union supplied the operator. When I told them to type "RUN" and hit "Return" it took them a long time to find the keys and they "always" started looking in an alphabetical manner ... like taught in grade school. Forget about "return" ... I just told them it's the big key on the right ... look at it as "GO". So I put stickers on the keys they needed ... three months later they were doing well.

Last edited:

12oclockhigh

QWERTY also spreads out the workload to each finger. You can buy an ABC keyboard. They are for sale. Nobody (or very few) buy them. So marketplace dictates.

Not using the metric system makes no sense whatsoever.

Storing files with a program is a stupid Apple idea.

Last edited:

PilotAt6

1.) agree market place dictates .... backed up by still teaching Q boards
2.) agree ... switch or go home
3.) disagree somewhat ... but store files where you can find them.

Question ... where should a program store files. Real Flight has a restricted file system not designed to allow deviation ... so they need some utilities to unzip and move files to the correct place(s). No "easy" answer, but live with what you know and do. Were all in this together. Some are more curious than others.

The best explanation I have heard for Apple vs PC is:
Apple - best "users" computer ... need to know very little computer jargon and setup parameters
PC - a computer enthusiast computer - need to know a lot of computer jargon and setup parameters

Apple - first to have graphics (good) ...
Apple - only one to survive the IBM onslaught (Commodore, Atari, Tandy, Texas Instruments ... and more failed).
Apple - First to have a graphics operating system ... Windows is an attempt to emulate
Apple - emulates Windows
Apple - limited software, most write for the PC
Apple - expensive
Apple - thought about buying one ... didn't ... 1.) would need to emulate Windows ... 2.) Cost?

Agree on one big point you covered.
If you are going to use a PC, read a lot and educate yourself. For RealFlight, there is a ~400 page manual that covers most questions ask on these forums and is easily available under "HELP". However, I didn't see the "complete" file structure covered in detail. It's more or less covered in segments throughout the manual when appropriate for the discussion. So ya got to read!:oops:
Post #11 is too Long :LOL:
Were all in this together. (Red/Green):cry:

BrokeDad

I think Atari's GEM (Graphics Environment Manager) operating system with icons came out before Apple's did but not 100% sure. It was on the 400 and 800 series and then became TOS when the ST line came out.

PilotAt6

I think Atari's GEM (Graphics Environment Manager) operating system with icons came out before Apple's did but not 100% sure. It was on the 400 and 800 series and then became TOS when the ST line came out.
You may be correct on the OS ... I remember Apple having graphics even in kit form ... but the OS came out later.
Some good computer systems bit the dust when IBM came onboard! Execs. were very familiar with the brand and pushed it.

PilotAt6

I remember the administration coming thru one day ... took all our apple computers away ... gave us those clickety clacks ... No graphics ... No engineering software. The engineers never turned them on ... when ask why, they said "to do what" ...No internal or external networks were provided.

DouglasFG

You will have to have admin privileges to change something in Program Files. Don't start if you do not have it.

I think that you are having problems with unzipping the files.
You need to look in the;
C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight9\Data <-----Subdirectory.
You should see these files listed.
RFAOV1_G4.dck
RFAOV2_G4.dck
RFAOV3_G4.dck
RFAOV4_G4.dck
RFAOV5_G4.dck

If you do not see those files listed, then you have not unzipped the downloads to the correct directory.
I know the instructions say download to the desktop, but I would just download it to a downloads directory(pay attention to where you save it) and unzip from there into the program files directory. I hate cluttering the desktop.

Here is the link to DL the Free Add-On aircraft:
https://www.realflight.com/support/kb/article.php?q=16-1033
Hes one for ya. I have all those .dck files still in my Data Folder but for some reason they won't reactivate after the 9.5 upgrade of the refresh install I had to do. How do I reactivate them...?

12oclockhigh

My first thought is virus software is not allowing access. I would delete the files and copy another into the same directory. No Warranty is given.

Mitch58

My first thought is virus software is not allowing access. I would delete the files and copy another into the same directory. No Warranty is given.
I've done that several times, I've unzipped them into the file, they show up there but they don't appear in my plane selection.

Mitch58

You know, as my CD player is not functioning I'm playing this through Steam. I wonder if that is the problem. If so I also wonder how to overcome it.