McAfee update prevents RealFlight from running

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
RealFlight Technical Support has confirmed that a recent update for McAfee Internet Security is preventing all versions of RealFlight from running.

Affected Versions:
RealFlight Basic
RealFlight G3.x
RealFlight G4.x
RealFlight G5.x

Symptoms:
For users with RealFlight already installed:
RealFlight will start up normally just like it has in the past. After a few seconds it will simply disappear.

For new users:
The RealFlight installer will terminate partway through the installation, or it may just freeze.

Workaround:
At this time, the only known workaround is to completely uninstall McAfee Internet Security. If you choose to remove McAfee, be sure to replace it with a different product offering similar functionality, unless you are not concerned about your computer's vulnerability.

Resolution:
There is nothing we can do at this time to fix the problem. McAfee has incorrectly caused their security software to prevent RealFlight/the installer from running. Our software has not changed. Affected users should contact McAfee to inform them of the problem and request an update to address the issue ASAP.

jeffpn

I'm very surprised that McAfee does not have the ability to allow exceptions for software. It seems that their software update will have undesirable effects on more software, other than RF.

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
You would think such a thing would be possible, and maybe it actually is. We don't have McAfee in our office, so I can't comment. I do know that simply disabling the software/shutting it down has proven insufficient.

Anyone experiencing these problems who needs more help should contact tech support.

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
And yes, I expect some other software to be similarly affected, but I would not be surprised if most RealFlight users don't have any of those programs installed.

Norton

The fix from McAfee!

I use McAfee (Total Protection) though this fix should work with all other versions.

1. Open McAfee from your icon or task bar.

2. Turn Real-Time Scanning off.

3. Turn off your Firewall.

4. Minimize the McAfee page and start the Sim. (Fly around for a bit and don't fly online).

5. Exit Sim.

6. Open the McAfee page and turn on Real-Time Scanning and your Firewall.

7. Exit out off McAfee and try the Sim.

Should be in good shape after these steps are taken in the right order.

This fixed the Sim on my XP desktop and my Win 7 laptop.

Let me know if there are success stories.

Cheers..........

McChampion

McAfee Problem Solved for me

Thanks to Real Flight for determining the root of the problem and providing # and web.

Visit McAfee support page, read buttons carefully, download and install McAfee Virtual Technician. Run Virtual Technician. Problem should be solved. You may have to re-instlall(???).

find McAfee Virtual Technician here: http://service.mcafee.com/MVT.aspx?MVT=1&&lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1

Thanks,

michael champion

Last edited:

GLFaria

Thanks, McChampion

Although on running the Virtual Technician I got the reply it had found no problem, well... the problem seems to be solved :)

G.

Norton

McChampion said:
Thanks to Real Flight for determining the root of the problem and providing # and web.

Visit McAfee support page, read buttons carefully, download and install McAfee Virtual Technician. Run Virtual Technician. Problem should be solved. You may have to re-instlall(???).

find McAfee Virtual Technician here: http://service.mcafee.com/MVT.aspx?MVT=1&&lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1

Thanks,

michael champion
Didn't I say that in post #43?
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27504&page=3&pp=15 Didn't need to re-install either.

GLFaria

Not really.
It did not work then, at least not as far as I was concerned (chat was only available on a specified timetable and e-mail - which I sent - got no answer so far)

Anyway, personal merit is not that important, as long as the problem is solved :)

Cheers
G.

Ej8421

I had the problem until yesterday. When I came home from work, Realflight G5.5 works fine. I am running AT&T Security Suite powered by McAfee. Perhaps McAfee has addressed the issue.

GLFaria

In all fairness, I must say McAfee made a really honest effort for helping me today - albeit a bit late as the problem had already been solved :) .

Cheers
G.