Multiplayer merger

PapaSki

I just installed RF9 and did the update. I gave RF8 to my grandson and he just did an update today as well. First we tried hosting our own server and it let us host but the other could not connect. Then we tried to join existing hosts. Some were password protected, some my grandson could not connect to, but we were both able to join one host (Las Vegas fun fly or something). Each of us could get in and fly around, but we could not see each other.

We live out in the boonies and have slowwwwww internet. At best 3MB lately. It is not satty so we don't have lag issues.

Does anyone know if our problems are the ISP speed or possibly something else. Any ideas how we can get around this? We're isolated for Coronavirus and miss hanging out so this would be a great way to connect if we can get it working.

Thanks, PapaSki

PapaSki

I assume that you have tried hosting each way. You are using the beta from message above?
Yes, we each tried hosting, but the other could not connect. Not sure about the beta, did not specifically sign up for beta. Just followed RF instructions when prompted to update as usual. One other piece of info, our HW display drivers are both integrated and we're both running Windows 7. My grandson is on an older but higher end Samsung laptop, and I'm on a media center PC but neither of us has a dedicated graphics card so we get the standard warning when installing "some features may not be available".

PapaSki

I assume that you have tried hosting each way. You are using the beta from message above?
My RF9 is on 9.00.022. Waiting on my grandson to verify his RF8, but I bet it is not the beta. I found these instructions about upgrading from steam library, but we bought boxed CD versions and did not get from steam.

I found a link to instructions for updating via the Launcher. Will instruct grand to follow that.

btw, 12 o'clock high is my favorite movie! They used it for officer leadership training in the Air Force in the 80's
. Thanks for your help...

Last edited:

PapaSki

There are links for the beta that allows this at the top of both similar threads. Good luck. It is that update that allows the connection.
Well shoot. My grand already has version 8.00.056. So, I'm back to thinking it is a bandwidth problem. Guess I'll try technical support to see if they can confirm or have other ideas.

12oclockhigh

google speedtest and run a internet speed test on both connection. report back. It really does not require that high of a connection. It might be a router thing, is my guess.

PapaSki

google speedtest and run a internet speed test on both connection. report back. It really does not require that high of a connection. It might be a router thing, is my guess.
Speedtest on my grandsons end was 4.5mb when we tried again earlier today (exact same results). I didn't run a test at that time but we live in the same subdivision and are supported by the same RF link so it should be comparable.

12oclockhigh

I would verify the speeds on BOTH ends at the same time. I would see if you can enter a multi session and fly. Then verify your grandson can enter the same session and fly. Then I would give Horizon Hobby tech support a call and discuss what is going on.
More Questions?
Call us at 1-217-398-8970
Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
U.S. Central Time