Problems with installation on MAC/Parallel Desktop with Win7

tsmit

I recently bought RealFlight box from a friend. It includes a G4.5, G5 and upgrade G6 DVD and Megapack.

I have a MAC Mini with OSX Mountain Lion and Parallel Desktop with Windows7.

I did not manage to install the DVDs, got several errors about missing files etc.

I downloaded the trial/demo version from RealFlight website and this installed without any problem.

Any idea?

tsmit

I prefer to get it worked on Parallel Desktop because the MAC is acting also as a home server for music and video. There Parallel Desktop (PD) is ideal.

I don't understand why the RealFlight demo software, which I downloaded and installed yesterday, runs smoothly on PD and I can not install the full version DVDs.

I see this as a challenge to get it work (with your help....).

Maj. Numbskully

There is what works consistently ,and then there's your preference

I prefer to eat 1 hour old fresh caught Maine lobster........
but I live in Texas ........and have to settle for crawdads

A search of the forum will reveal many threads of mac users trying RF with parallels............. without success

Another search of the forum will reveal many threads of mac users who have it running fine with bootcamp

That's been my observation over the years and why both of us immediately recommended bootcamp .....most here run RF on its native OS so there are not many here who can really help ..maybe try at an Apple forum ?.......... good luck

Last edited:

csgill75

Bootcamp is supported by tech support when you call them while Parallels is not from what I remember about this subject. Do search for Parallels on this forum will show some information on trying to get it to work and the reasons why it doesn't work well.

opjose

I prefer to get it worked on Parallel Desktop because the MAC is acting also as a home server for music and video.

All the more reason NOT to use Parallels. The computer should be DEDICATED to running Realflight when you invoke it...

There Parallel Desktop (PD) is ideal.
No, not for running Realflight... Parallels may work for your other applications.

I see this as a challenge to get it work (with your help....).
Let us know how it goes...

Read the other threads on this subject.

Bootcamp IS supported, Parallels is NOT for many reasons.

Maj. Numbskully

:rolleyes:
Not to sound sarcastic .........
That's it !......"I got it to work "............that's helpful :rolleyes:

Prove it !.....you know that every one here has said it does not work
I thought you took it as a challenge?..
and that's all we get? ............. "I got it to work" ???

You came here for help.....
This forum is here for RF users to help other RF users

So return the favor and explain
what prevented it from running the first time
and/or
what you did different to get it to run on parallels ..........

Honestly .........unless you do that ......... we'll just figure you DL'd or just ran out and got bootcamp :rolleyes:
(ya.... that last part was bait :p)

Last edited:

tsmit

The problem was that the install DVD was working under MAC OSX. I had to select in PD to operate in Win7, than it installed (no error on missing files). That was the trick.

Hawkeye68

Buy and Install RealFlight 6.5 on iMac

Maj. Numbskully

I want to buy and play RealFlight 6.5 on my Mac with OSX 10.7.5 the right way the first time. I am a rook. Not real computer savvy, but very willing to listen and learn to do it right.

It appears I might have to acquire and possibly install something called Bootcamp to play RealFlight on my Mac. Works for me, once I know what that means.

Can you direct me to the forum thread that provides me the simple instructions to install RealFlight 6.5 on my Mac, if such a thing exists. Been looking but have not been successful.

Or where such installation instructions might exist?

Thank you.

PS having tasted fresh Louisiana Crawfish many times, I feel they compete very well with fresh Maine Lobster.

Maj. Numbskully

I'm no expert !
I know just a little about PCs and nothing about macs
other than RF runs on bootcamp

its merely reasonable deduction ........

I only know that from watching the dozens of people coming here trying to get RF on a mac using parallels... without sucsess .......
and all the people who have success running Rf on a Mac using boot camp....
I'm sure someone more qualified than I will chime in and steer you in the right direction on how things need to be done............. maybe try an apple forum ?....
I would imagine bootcamp would come with instructions on how to use it

tsmit MAY have got it running on parallels but as opjose says
there are other reasons to not do so

Last edited:

csgill75

Bootcamp is a Mac software that allows you to install Microsoft Windows on your Mac. You will need to purchase a copy of Microsoft Windows in order to install Real Flight. Parallels is another software you can use and it allows your Mac to emulate a Windows desktop with a purchased copy of Windows. As far as getting either one of those methods to work you would need look to one of the Mac forums. We recommend Bootcamp and RF tech support supports RealFlight in Bootcamp. Once you get windows installed then our forum would be able to help you.

Hawkeye68

Thanks folks for the honest guidance.

Am discovering what Boot Camp is and have downloaded the instructions to install it. (12 pages) Will take a bit of research and time on my part to get the correct boot camp installed and running. (Lots of versions that depend upon the exact iMac being used.) I can see that this will be an involved process.

Will go to Mac forum to get Boot Camp and Windoz loaded.

Will return upon completing Boot Camp and Windoz installation.

Thanks,

Imageek2

Once you get the correct version of Bootcamp it is a pretty painless process, but here are some things to be careful of.

Make sure you know which version of Windows you can install on your Mini, 32 or 64 bit. The Bootcamp assistant will only download the drivers for the version that is supported.

Make sure you set a large enough partition for your Windows install. Like you I only wanted to install Windows for RealFlight so I made the partition small, 20GB or something. After the Windows installation I didn't have enough room for RF and had to redo the process.

The Bootcamp Assistant will prompt you to install the drivers on a flash drive. Make sure you do this. Once Windows boots there is a Setup program on the drive that will install the needed drivers for the Mac Mini video card, network etc.

Once you have Bootcamp up and running, to boot to Windows hold down the Option key while turning the Mac on. All of the available bootable drives will appear, one being Bootcamp. Use the arrow keys to go to it and press enter. Note: I had no problem doing this with the Elite controller plugged in all the time for quite a while. All of the sudden my Mac wouldn't go to that screen anymore, it just went straight to OS X. Now I need to unplug the controller to boot to Windows, then plug it back in. not sure why. To boot normally to OS X just do a restart in Windows and don't do anything to the keyboard.

Good luck.

Last edited:

T-10

RF 7.5 Works Fine on El Capitan and Parallels 11

For general info, I'm running RF 7.5 on a Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) Bootcamp partition using Parallels 11. It seems to work without issue. Installation is smooth as long as you remember to operate TOTALLY within the Windows environment. I originally opened the installation disk from within the Finder by double-clicking the Setup application and got "File not installed" errors. Go to the Windows Desktop first and you'll have no problems. Now, if I can just figure out how to use the Aircraft Editor....

csgill75

For general info, I'm running RF 7.5 on a Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) Bootcamp partition using Parallels 11. It seems to work without issue. Installation is smooth as long as you remember to operate TOTALLY within the Windows environment. I originally opened the installation disk from within the Finder by double-clicking the Setup application and got "File not installed" errors. Go to the Windows Desktop first and you'll have no problems. Now, if I can just figure out how to use the Aircraft Editor....
You probably should post this in the RealFlight 7 forum on one of the relevant threads there. It's good information for all versions but if someone is looking in that forum, they might not see this post since new people will most likely be 7.5 users. This is a RealFlight 6 forum.

Feel free to post any questions about the editor in a new thread in the RealFlight 7 forum too as the editor in RealFlight 7.5 is different than the editor in RealFlight 6.5. Personally I have about 7 years of experience with the editor in its various releases. Other people who have been here a while also can help.

Last edited: