PX-40

technoid

I cutout the canopy and created the frame this morning.

I modeled the canopy as a unit like one of the plastic ones in a kit so I don't think it would look good trying to retract it with the large windows in back so I'm not going to animate this one.. sorry.

PX-40 26.jpg

Last edited:

technoid

I feel better about not adding wheel wells to my PX series. I was flying the P-47 BrokeDad sent from Add-Ons 3 and it didn't have wheel wells either the gear just retracts into the wing. So if KnifeEdge can do it I can too.

I'm almost ready to start mapping the only thing I have left to do is reposition the exhaust pipes. After that I should be able to do my first import into RealFlight and see what it looks like. The physics shouldn't be too hard because this plane was created from the PX-51 airframe so I'll only have to resize the parts to fit the PX-40 to get the physics going. Other than that the plane is the same size so just resize everything and see how it fly's, which should be close to the way the PX-51 fly's. I may tweak the nose a little but I need to see what it looks like in RealFlight before I decide that. But I'm getting there.

technoid

Technoid, YES I appreciate your fun scale planes planes, they look great and fly fantastic, you are truly the master of flight physics and more importantly you are a Master Class Scale Builder, the F8F-2 Bearcat proved that.
Thanks ASJ I tried my best on the F8F-2 Bearcat and was proud of it for a while but was told after release that I messed up the Canopy so I quit being proud of it. I can get scale close but not just right it seems. But I sure do enjoy the work you do, you're a great builder and humble. A great combination.

technoid

I just finished reworking the exhaust for the PX-40 and finished the collision mesh so now I'm ready to do the first import into RF but I'm tired and hungry so I'll take a break and do that later. But I'm excited to see what it's going to look like.

technoid

Here's a picture of the first import of the PX-40 I think it needs a couple of adjustments. One I think the intake under the spinner (mouth) is a little too tall so I plan to bring the bottom up just a little. Second the intake on the top needs to be a little taller so I'll raise it a little all the way back. You can see on the front edge of the wings where the new wing goes beyond the existing paint in the color scheme but that will be fixed when I map it. And of course it will get dihedral later but I need to map it with a flat wing. All in all it's not that bad.

PX-40 29.jpg

technoid

it's so good looking. it's really fun to see your planes come together.
Thanks I'm glad you like it. I worked on it a bit more tonight I had to do some extra work to get the retracts to work the way I wanted. Now I need to go back and resize all the parts in the physics for the new sizes. Then I'll start on the mapping so I can paint it. Right now the mapping is really off because I resized everything. So what's everyones favorite color scheme for a P-40?