Question about channel mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltain

Quite frankly, I think you are wasting your time trying to teach a newbie to make advanced setups for RF.
you can see why we prefer the interlink. I think that “bring your own radio” is a marketing gimmick. All you need is a dumb box. Flying is mostly sticks anyway. You cannot program yourself a pilots license.
Fair enough. Thanks for your help and opinions. I'm having a bad morning myself, so I can relate. I disagree on everything up to the word "gimmick," but that's why language was invented. You've done really well figuring out everything yourself and we don't license RC pilots for sims in my state. Can I see your license? Bet it's so cool! I would put mine in a badge case and flash it to all the tiny little simulated mechanics in the simulated hanger! ;-)

caltain

Hi Finally got back on my computer.
Great! Glad to hear you have been making some headway on your own. All of this is pretty complicated, but I like to know how stuff works.

Yep, I have channel 6 (Aux 1) Switch A assigned with the WS1000 for Flaps and that works fine.
I have unchecked the Software selection for DR / Expo in the WS1000 and now set the DR / Expo in the DX6 and that works fine also.
What I'm not getting yet is where you are seeing the assignments and making your selections, so if you don't mind, would you re-post the whole message I quoted above, but with the following identifiers to help me visualize the process your are using? I know it's a pain, but I'm all virtual. Don't have a DX radio or WS dongle to play with, so I'm a bit behind you on some of this. Feel free to contribute an identifier if you wind up some place I didn't think of! Thanks for helping me help you!

(R) Radio - Radio screen or radio buttons, or both
(W) Windows - Computer screen and/or keyboard, but outside of RF or the RF Editor. Hardware setup, Device Manager, etc. If there is another software app involved, please mention the name somewhere.
(RF) RealFlight - Anything that you do or see in the main RF window.
(RFS) RealFlight Settings - Anything you see or change in the settings popup (RF->Simulation -> Settings...)
(RFSC) RealFlight Select Controller - Anything you see or change via the Select Controller popup (RF->Simulation->Select Controller...)
(RFE) RealFlight Editor - Anything you see or change via the RF Editor (RF->Aircraft->Edit <AircraftName>)

SDRemi

I'll attach a screenshot of the Edit page of the WS 1000 controller. It will show the channels that are hard coded to a control / function.

Attachments

caltain

Thank you!! The light has dawned. I now understand what is happening where!

You are fiddling with the Select Controller settings in RF. Things are not quite as locked down as they seem.

I selected the WS1000 as a controller, just to see what would come up for me. I've attached it below. At least for the first 4 channels, it's standard mode 2 setup as commonly understood. Your's isn't, or at least it's not how they are usually referred to.

It's ok, though. I can think of about half a dozen different ways to fix it so you get to use 6 channels from your radio and get to use them like you want them to work!

What I need now is for you to bring up the WS1000 Dongle profile like you have been and start carefully moving the sticks and fiddling every switch, button, and knob on your radio one at a time. To make my life easier, I want you to make two lists.
  1. The first list will have all 15 Functions. Next to each, put the physical radio control that changes the black/blue bar under the function name on the screen. I don't care how much of that bar is blue, only that you can make the amount of blue change and what physical radio control does that. That will tell us how many channels RF is seeing come in and what Function RF thinks they are controlling. With your DX6, you should be able to make changes show on a maximum of 6 functions, but it's possible that it's less right now.
  2. The second list is one that you will pull from your radio. For this one, I want the Channel Input Config values and the Channel Assignment/Rx Port Assignments values. This will tell us what physical controls on your radio should be working and what channel their values should be transmitted on.
Those two lists should completely document what is actually happening between your radio and the computer, right up to the point that RF starts looking at the signals.

Again, I know it's a pain, but I appreciate your doing all this to help me out. We are making progress, I swear! Great idea about the pic too!

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 4.08.36 PM.png

caltain

Sorry, mistake on my part. The Input for the first 4 channels is not quite mode 2. The the first and second Right Stick are swapped. Mode 2 is RSX, RSY, LSY, LSX for 1-4.

12oclockhigh

Fair enough. Thanks for your help and opinions. I'm having a bad morning myself, so I can relate. I disagree on everything up to the word "gimmick," but that's why language was invented. You've done really well figuring out everything yourself and we don't license RC pilots for sims in my state. Can I see your license? Bet it's so cool! I would put mine in a badge case and flash it to all the tiny little simulated mechanics in the simulated hanger! ;-)
Nice you are so smart(aleck)... yet you cannot get this working. I will put my creds up against yours any day.

caltain

Nice you are so smart(aleck)... yet you cannot get this working. I will put my creds up against yours any day.
I don't have any "creds" and I said so. You have had just as much opportunity to get this sorted out as I have had and I've only had the software a month and am obviously new on the forum. I have no doubt that you are more knowledgeable and/or more skilled than I am at all sorts of things. Hurray for you! That conceded, I haven't seen evidence in this exchange that patience and willingness to go the extra mile are where you would better me. I am, likewise, absolutely certain that I have knowledge and skills that you do not. Hurray for me. That's the whole point of an open forum of discussion. We all get to benefit from the knowledge and experience of other members who all bring something different for the betterment of all.

I get that you have an InterLink and believe that it is all that is needed and that it is the best solution for interacting with RF. Fine. I happen to agree on those two points, but KE has clearly decided that the BYO Radio is a worthwhile feature to support, and I agree with that as well. RC is not a cheap hobby in any aspect. Throwing down $100 for a sim is nontrivial to a whole lot of people. Forking over another $89 for a piece of hardware that duplicates much of the functionality that this user has already bought in his DX6 is also nontrivial. I don't know or care why he didn't get an InterLink. I do know that he has all of the pieces that are required in writing to use RF and I believe that things should work as advertised. I am interested in figuring out why this isn't working as I think it should.

Finally, yes, I made light of your response because I didn't think that it was appropriate for you to discourage anyone from volunteering aid or to offer up an opinion on when I or anyone else is wasting time, because none of us are intentionally wasting YOUR time and we clearly don't seem to think we are wasting ours.

Like I said before, thank you for the help you have already given and for your opinions. If you have anything further to say that might help, please don't hesitate on my account, because I'm just learning all of this myself and I will take help from anyone.

caltain

For the public record, when he says

It only took me 5 minutes to set it up.
he means 5 minutes + more than 11 years using the software and participating in these forums.

Open offer:
I am happy to help ANY user of ANY level of experience with ANY issue they may be having, whether it just means pointing them to the answers already posted or I have to do extensive research to find a solution.

12oclockhigh

For the public record, when he says
he means 5 minutes + more than 11 years using the software and participating in these forums.
Open offer:
I am happy to help ANY user of ANY level of experience with ANY issue they may be having, whether it just means pointing them to the answers already posted or I have to do extensive research to find a solution.
I have been helping people with answers for a long time. Then I meet people like you. You need more help than you can get here.

caltain

Then I meet people like you.
You haven't actually met me, friend, so I can only assume that you mean intelligent, well spoken, tolerant, helpful, staggeringly good looking, and overflowing with the bounty of human kindness, but it's my modesty that really wins people over!

You need more help than you can get here.
If you were the sum total of what this board represents and has to offer, I would agree without reservation. You have been stomping on new and/or ignorant users for years because they didn't figure out the answers before asking the questions. I don't just roll over for that sort of behavior, and neither should anyone else.

This is an open forum, not your personal mailbox. Participation is voluntary. If you don't like answering the same questions over and over, then don't answer them. It really is that easy to brighten your day!

SDRemi- Send me a private message to continue the discussion in a more productive way. You or I can come back here later to post the solution for the benefit of others members with similar issues.

Be well and safe!

12oclockhigh

If you were the sum total of what this board represents and has to offer, I would agree without reservation. You have been stomping on new and/or ignorant users for years because they didn't figure out the answers before asking the questions. I don't just roll over for that sort of behavior, and neither should anyone else.
No, I was suggesting that you have mental issues and need to see someone. The vast majority of questions that I answer are not a problem. But then you come along. Better that you have not run me off, and you won't either.
I also don't care what you backchannel Nancy's have to say either. Do you really know who you are talking to?

Last edited:

caltain

Post EXACTLY the aircraft and link to that file if you want someone to look at it.
You mean if he wants you to look at it.

I was suggesting that you have mental issues and need to see someone
Now that's just plain rude and libel to boot!

I've been polite, helpful, and was seemingly making headway with the member's stated problem. What exactly is your problem with me? I certainly haven't said anything that would imply mental issues beyond my willingness to engage with bullies, so please... for the sake of every member that has viewed and will view this fairly popular exchange... PLEASE tell us all what I did wrong. Please.

12oclockhigh

I hope so because calling it libel was the only thing you have gotten right. The way the comment was written is not libel. Do I need to quote the law?

caltain

Sure. Quote away, but please be clear. Did I get it right in calling it liable or did I get it wrong. You're just not making any sense now.

PilotAt6

caltain ... I went back and read post# 21 where all of this back and forth started.
I can't see where 12oclockhigh attacked you directly, he just stated he thought you were wasting your time trying to teach a newbie advanced programming on a forum. I also thought he needed to just get his landing gear working so he could enjoy flying ... you can look at my post and determine that.

Then you got really angry, but I don't think it was 12oclockhigh's intention too debase you, just point out you may be getting too technical and going too deep to help solve a basic problem.

Your listed as a new member, but the date is July 2, 2006. I'm confused. I'm guessing you joined in 2006 and just started posting ... I don't know how the date thing works. Seems as if you have good knowledge of radio's and RC and I hope you stick around and contribute as 12oclockhigh has, but please leave your emotions at the doorstep PLEASE. We need good contributors but we don't need conflict.

Thanks for offering your help ... and I really hope you can get this new RF participant setup.
We can all have a say though ... correct ?

Status
Not open for further replies.