Ran out of ideas taking suggestions

SPQR33

You inspired me, I put home made skis on my sport cub s to fly in all the snow we've been getting, it actually worked pretty well!
Way too cool !! (My Timber's pics above). I used the Du-Bro skis during our usually heavy snowfalls, and they worked very well. Too bad they don't offer a back-end small ski for tail draggers. Perhaps I can whittle one from a bit of PVC tubing. I also used my float plane pontoons on light, level, fluffy, dry snow, though the rudders did dig in a bit before takeoff; they also made landing a bit rough. Too bad that RF 9.5.031 doesn't have a snow covered field to practice with. Have you tried the skis on loose sand, or on short wet grassy fields? They work OK on these surfaces too, especially if the wet grassy field is a bit lumpy.

SPQR33

There has been snow, so I haven't been able to try them in grass, however I have feeling they will force the plane to summersault on grass. I don't know though, I might try it.:rolleyes:
Perhaps I should have been a bit more precise. I'm not talking about a golf course after a summer rain; but on a damp dreary late fall day on a soggy, muddy, moss, lichen and matted grassy RC field, with lots of wet leaves. It is even too slippy to walk safely. As to the Du-Bro ski kit (search YouTube vid for install on various Timbers or Otters), it has a spring loaded mechanism that keeps the skis in a 30* nose up attitude (a little compression lift in flight?) so when landing, the ski backs touch down first. And the springs are weak enough to lie flat on the ground. If you follow the vid's directions, you then can ream out your big wheel's hubs for the correct size, and easily swap back to your wheels using #8 nylon lock nuts, just like stock. I did a post on this conversion elsewhere.

SPQR33

Snowy field_AP | Knife Edge Forums

DeHavilland DHC-3 Turbo Otter skis_EA | Knife Edge Forums

With the talk of skis. I thought I would make sure newer people have seen these
Thank you for the links & downloads. I'm still new to RC flying and to RF 9.5.031 as well. Spending lots practice flying so I can pass my pilot competency tests at my local RC club to get certified by their experts. As such, I've not had much time hacking around in RF 9.5. Which of the MyDocs or Programs(x86) folders do I put these files into? I hope they are what I'm looking for, as in my area, once Covid-19 has died down, this local RC club flys year round in all weather conditions.

grooveybf109e

Thank you for the links & downloads. I'm still new to RC flying and to RF 9.5.031 as well. Spending lots practice flying so I can pass my pilot competency tests at my local RC club to get certified by their experts. As such, I've not had much time hacking around in RF 9.5. Which of the MyDocs or Programs(x86) folders do I put these files into? I hope they are what I'm looking for, as in my area, once Covid-19 has died down, this local RC club flys year round in all weather conditions.
You would go in realflight simulation (next to aircraft)>import>realflight archive>downloads>(file you want to import)>import. Then you are good to go!

SPQR33

I will, however the sport cub s2 is so small, I'm worried about weight, so I'm thinking maybe a pen spring?
Thanks for help doing these installs. Seems simple enough. I'll let you know if successful. As to your bird, I looked one up; it is about half the physical size and less than half the weight of my Night Timber X1.2m. After doing the Du-Bro conversion kit, using #8 machine screws as the new 5/16" axles, the ski's weight penalty is only about 2.8 Oz. net on my plane which weighs, with the oversized 3200mAh 14.8V battery, at 5.45 Lbs. I'm not sure if smaller snow ski kits are available, though there is an option for float pontoons for your bird. They also work well on relatively smooth snow and icy lakes, (I have a set for my Timber) though being made of EPP foam, they may wear a bit too fast with lots of use. Thanks again.

grooveybf109e

Thanks for help doing these installs. Seems simple enough. I'll let you know if successful. As to your bird, I looked one up; it is about half the physical size and less than half the weight of my Night Timber X1.2m. After doing the Du-Bro conversion kit, using #8 machine screws as the new 5/16" axles, the ski's weight penalty is only about 2.8 Oz. net on my plane which weighs, with the oversized 3200mAh 14.8V battery, at 5.45 Lbs. I'm not sure if smaller snow ski kits are available, though there is an option for float pontoons for your bird. They also work well on relatively smooth snow and icy lakes, (I have a set for my Timber) though being made of EPP foam, they may wear a bit too fast with lots of use. Thanks again.
Your welcome, and thank you too!

SPQR33

Your welcome, and thank you too!
Install went smoothly and quickly. The snowy field is relatively smooth; the DeHavilland is larger than my Timber (it's an x2.0m size plane). Plus sun glare and the tall pine trees are a small issue. I do't know if this is allowed in this forum, but I think I found you a set of skis to work on your smaller bird. And I found the install vids, though the actual conversion install, and figuring a way to easily and quickly revert back to wheels is obviously all up to you. As such, put cursor over to activate each line item: Black RC snow ski kit for RC aircraft and RC plane|Parts & Accessories| - AliExpress , Du-Bro 101 - How to install snow skis on RC airplane - YouTube , DIY Skis For Your RC Plane - YouTube . You have made this upgrade very easy. Good Luck with your conversion to snow skis.

grooveybf109e

Install went smoothly and quickly. The snowy field is relatively smooth; the DeHavilland is larger than my Timber (it's an x2.0m size plane). Plus sun glare and the tall pine trees are a small issue. I do't know if this is allowed in this forum, but I think I found you a set of skis to work on your smaller bird. And I found the install vids, though the actual conversion install, and figuring a way to easily and quickly revert back to wheels is obviously all up to you. As such, put cursor over to activate each line item: Black RC snow ski kit for RC aircraft and RC plane|Parts & Accessories| - AliExpress , Du-Bro 101 - How to install snow skis on RC airplane - YouTube , DIY Skis For Your RC Plane - YouTube . You have made this upgrade very easy. Good Luck with your conversion to snow skis.
Cool, thanks!!

DeWayne

There is an airacobra on the swap pages. Here`s link to it. ...https://www.knifeedge.com/forums/index.php?resources/p39_ea.14133/
Do you know if it is the Eflite Airacobra or a different one? I ask because in some of the wording on the link you gave me, it says something about giant scale?