Rans Chaos S9

asj5547

OPPs.. Too quick on the draw. The landing gear now only has "one" side and the physics looks flat for it. Also the tail gear is way back so something when wrong there too.
Yeah, I am having a real bad day.

Rushing the product to market (a simple beta to play with) because I know I will not have too much time to devote to modelling for a while.

At the Oncologists appointment yesterday we learnt the my wife's cancer is back and it is inoperable, so yeah, I am not thinking clearly.

Hope this new beta works better and yes I tried it in RF7.5 as well. (the beta in post 60 is a physics file not the actual model file), definitely not thinking straight today. !!!

Will add collision mesh to entire model when I have time, (only on wheels at the moment) that is why the model "melts" into the ground when crashed or flipped.

Attachments

Last edited:

technoid

Oh gosh.. heck with the plane please concentrate on the wife she needs your fullest attention now. And don't forget to take care of you too you need to be at your best to take care of her. I've been through this several times in my family and it's a terrible time. If I can help let me know what you need.

I'll grab the beta and take a look.

PilotAt6

Been Flying ... knife edge is great ...
You got the brakes message.
Thanks for the switches ... got them all moving.
Added Start/Stop for my pleasure .... did a little airbrushing
The tailwheel assembly, aileron linkage and strut attachments look fantastic.
Interior cage ... WOW
Flying "in cockpit" with the glass fuse panels is intriguing ... especially on landing.
enjoying it immensely

Attaching the variant I'm working on as an EA for you to eval.
I'm in awe of how quickly you got the plane and mapping to a beta version.

Start/Stop is on the three way switch.
Forward/Down = Off
Mid=key sw. On and sw 3 and 4 sequenced (Fuel and Lights)
Up= Sw 2 on (Ignition) with sw 1 (starter) sequenced On then off when engine starts.
F5 is now Cockpit View
This plane will be awesome when we all go to VR ......

Thanks for your efforts !!!

P.S. I just went back a few reply's and read about your wife ... God bless both of you. I know how terrible that is. I've been through it twice and got lucky, wife had lung removed and got lucky, but it's an upsetting experience regardless. Please take care you yourself also, and keep us posted please. I will be praying for the both of you.

Attachments

Last edited:

asj5547

Oh gosh.. heck with the plane please concentrate on the wife she needs your fullest attention now. And don't forget to take care of you too you need to be at your best to take care of her. I've been through this several times in my family and it's a terrible time. If I can help let me know what you need.

I'll grab the beta and take a look.
Thanks Technoid, yes I will devote even more time to the wife.

asj5547

grabbed your new beta will have a look as well but sounds like its good with technoids post :) looks like it needs some collision mesh work as the main wing and fuse sinks into the ground otherwise its coming along good
Thanks Doug, sure I will add a collision mesh when the model is fully complete but the model is only about 1/2 way done at the moment, I just wanted to post a beta for PilotAt6 to use, (he requested the model).

asj5547

asj5547 replied:" I just wanted to post a beta for PilotAt6 to use "

I sure appreciate that ... thank you ... and I am flying and enjoying ... your talented
so sad about your wife ... take care of her and yourself also.
PilotAt6, I love the key start and switch sequence you incorporated into the model and the CS you made is amazing. I am flying your version more than mine.
I tested S9 in day and night flights and noticed that maybe the ignition switch ring bezel needs a bulb for night display and the bulbs on the dash lights need NUP values set in Max, so the lights illuminate with switch movement. There is a lot more detail I hope to add to the cockpit, it will just be a lot slower progress now.

Good to hear your wife is recovering, wishing you both all the best.

BrokeDad

Thanks BrokeDad for the words of support and thanks for the Electric version, it fly's great.
I put PilotAt6's CS (thanks much) on my electric "fixed" version of the first one you posted since it works fine in RF8/9 without the collision mesh. I did put in a cockpit camera too. If anyone really wants that let me know. Pilot's is probably better except for the sinking. I just prefer it doesn't sink for now. It breaks apart fine and you can land upside down above ground as well as not dip the wings into the ground leaning over. I also put the brakes back on up elevator now that the wheel problem is fixed.

Keep us updated on the wife. I know technoid has the constant care of his too.

Attachments

Last edited:

BrokeDad

I noticed there is some alignment problem on the tail. You all know the thing where technoid uses the lines to find and fix things. If you look at PilotAt6's CS the emblem on the tail is messed up. It's fine in the TGA. That's why when I did my red one above I made the tail one solid color.

PilotAt6

asj5547 Replied: " maybe the ignition switch ring bezel needs a bulb for night display and the bulbs on the dash lights need NUP values set in Max, so the lights illuminate with switch movement. "

Adding lights would be great ... and do your work as you can ... the beta is great and and sure gives a lot to work with. Broke dad pointed to the tail graphic problem. You cannot span the front and rear portions ... the front graphics are larger than the rear. I moved the graphic and made it smaller, solved that problem.

Small little bugs, but for the speed you provided the beta ... I'm still in awe !
Have worked on the CS ... attaching the update. I also moved the throttle console up and back a little (with a linear actuator) ... Being so nicely detailed, I wanted to see it better in the cockpit view.

Oh ... and yes, I have a half scale version ... easier for me to see the detail.
It's 3D with increased throws and a little more power ... I think it needs more !

I'm having lot's of enjoyment working on this. Still love the glass side panels.

Little more airbrushing!

Attachments

BrokeDad

Thanks for the updated CS PilotAt6. I noticed in your picture you forgot to change the visual size of the propeller. It's teeny still.

PilotAt6

BrokeDad Replied: " I noticed in your picture you forgot to change the visual size of the propeller. It's teeny still. "

Funny ... It sure appears tiny, and I tend to make prop's Too big. Must be my computer making it look small when running ... notice the screen rate 32fps is high on my system. I need to disable firewall and such to get it "that high", pathetic !
Real Size and running at 19fps

Attachments

BrokeDad

Funny ... It sure appears tiny, and I tend to make prop's Too big. Must be my computer making it look small when running ... notice the screen rate 32fps is high on my system. I need to disable firewall and such to get it "that high", pathetic !
Real Size and running at 19fps
And I thought just getting 60fps+ was bad on my computer 😬 . My blades disappear in RF8/9 entirely at mid rpms but are there at low and normal ones. That didn't happen in RF7.5. I tried a 3 bladed prop on my electric and it gave more speed but drew more amps. I try to keep mine realistic in something you would actually see at a real flying field with battery size and current draw. I see you moved the tail graphic to just one section of it to fix it 👍.

PilotAt6

Broke Dad ...
60+ fps would be heaven for me. Believe it or not, before I disable some software a few days ago, I was running at 8 fps and less. You talk about jumpy ... oh my ... it was like watching a slow strobe light at a dark dance hall.

I read that film produces (do they still use film) decided on 24 fps to be as low as you can go to get decent movie motion, and save film. Anything above 24 looked "good" to the eye". In todays world that is slow.

Yes I moved the graphics on the tail, and I had to reduce the size quite a bit for proper display. You can see the stripe at the top almost doubles in size in that area. I'm sure asj5547 will fix it when he can. He rushed this beta and I appreciated that.

I'm amazed at his and others talent. I'm sure glad we have them giving us some great aircraft. RF seems to have slowed down quite a bit in this area.

I'm trying to be a little careful with realism, but I'm not as committed as others. Once I posted an airplane that was drawing 400 amps on a motor that would burn up in 12 seconds ... if you could even get it 400 amps. Well, it flew OK ... RF doesn't care, I just upped the power to 400% and told the speed controller not to limit the current. Presto, the model was flying, and no smoke came out of my computer. After someone noted it, and educated me on Hacker motors and such, I've been trying to be a "little" more realistic ... and I got some motor profiles.

RF8 seems to have some problems ... I agree. I think they released RF9 as a fix for them while including VR.
Well off to fly the Chaos ... paint ... and modify!