Report issues with old swap pages content here

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
There is a large body of custom content on the swap pages that was created for previous versions of RealFlight. It can be imported in the vehicle editor for use in RF-X, but not all of the models will work well. We expect some to have more problems than others.

If you encounter a model with issues, please use this thread to post about it, so we can keep the reports contained in one place.

Your report should include:
  1. A brief description of the problem
  2. A screenshot or two if it would be helpful
  3. A link to the vehicle on our swap pages
We may or may not be able to do anything about issues of this type. This content is mostly supported as is. But we would like to know about the issues that exist in case there is something we can do about any of them on our side.

Thank you!

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like there are two hubs with that model, one on top of the other, and that's causing the problem.

csgill75

I have only imported 2 Models into RF-X so far This Modeltech Magic and This DC-3 Model.

Both files work in the Grasslands flying field fine. They work in other fields Like Joes Garage and Flight school too but when I try them on the Homestead field, My Frame Rate drops to under 1 per second. It happens on both models. normal Frame Rates are around 80 at this airport with regular RF-X aircraft. When importing these models an error comes up about a missing collision mesh could cause poor performance. Doe this have something to do with the low frame rates at that particular flying field?

Johnny31297

I have only imported 2 Models into RF-X so far This Modeltech Magic and This DC-3 Model.

Both files work in the Grasslands flying field fine. They work in other fields Like Joes Garage and Flight school too but when I try them on the Homestead field, My Frame Rate drops to under 1 per second. It happens on both models. normal Frame Rates are around 80 at this airport with regular RF-X aircraft. When importing these models an error comes up about a missing collision mesh could cause poor performance. Doe this have something to do with the low frame rates at that particular flying field?
Can confirm with a custom heli I imported. Got the no collision mesh warning, framerate dropped so low I was essentially looking at a slideshow of stills.

csgill75

Can confirm with a custom heli I imported. Got the no collision mesh warning, framerate dropped so low I was essentially looking at a slideshow of stills.

The homestead field right? It is really bad there.

The other sites that I have tried work fine for me.

legoman

The reason is probably because I did not define a collision mesh for the dc-3 I used rf7's "auto generate" "feature" to generate mesh thus the collision mesh has 23k triangles and every thing (including the needles) are collideable. And I Think technoid's model is the same.

technoid

The reason is probably because I did not define a collision mesh for the dc-3 I used rf7's "auto generate" "feature" to generate mesh thus the collision mesh has 23k triangles and every thing (including the needles) are collideable. And I Think technoid's model is the same.
That's right none of my models have a collision mesh. I don't know how to do them so is there a tutorial anywhere on it? I'm a dummy I always need help!

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that kind of performance is expected for models lacking a collision mesh. That is a critical requirement for RF-X models, as you have seen!

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny31297, we looked into that heli a little more. It does not conform to the standards we've laid out, which is most likely the root cause of any bad behavior.

First, it doesn't match the hierarchy and naming described in the old KEMax heli tutorial.

Second, note the differences described in the Helicopter section here, which are important now for RF-X.

Our guess is that something about the ways the model is out of spec confused the software and the hub got exported twice.

Bottom line: Bring your model in line with the current specs and you should get the desired results. Keep us posted! :)

technoid

Thanks Boof69 and csgill75 I'll look at those and get something going for my planes as I upgrade them to RF-X. But just the better ones lots of them are just me getting going. I'm not a great modeler but a few of them are okay. I also found this one too. And thanks again guys I can always count on both of you!

http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/plane_tutorial.php

Johnny31297

Ryan,
I checked the LOGO 700 XXtreme. There is only one blur hub present in my MAX file, called ~CS_MAINOUTERHUB_XX, XX being short for XXtreme as I was too lazy to type 2BLADE for every rotor component. Same for the tail, all components named XX instead of 2BLADE.
For my test I renamed the main rotor components to 2BLADE and left the tail rotor components alone, retaining their XX name.

First test was FBX export directly from MAX 2016. Both hubs show the same behavior as before (2BLADE as well as XX), additionally some components lack their smoothing groups and textures. No idea why, textures and FBX were in the same directory at import. See attachment FBX.jpg. Blur hubs are attached to the DiskMount components.

Second test was an export through MAX 2012 as KEX file which I imported via the KEX import dialog, resulting in RF-X also rendering both blur hubs, 2BLADE and XX, solidly and without any fades. (see KEX.jpg). Blur hubs connected to DiskMounts.

I finally exported a helicopter from 7.5 that had correctly named hubs (3BLADE in this case), which imported without any issues (see E700.jpg). BlurHubs are attached to DiskMount components once again. No idea whether this is a result of this heli being a modified RF7 original model or something else plays a role here.

Attachments

08rangerdan

I purchased an older great planes funtana x100 at a swat meet this year with a new saito 125. I also found a model on the swap pages created for g3.5. I imported the model and it warned me of many issues but it loaded the model pretty well. In the sim the models landing gear falls through the ground and causes chaos. Could someone load the file and make sense of the issues at hand and see if this model is easily manipulated to work with rfx?

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1261

There is also a variant created with the saito 125 and a couple additions but i believe if the main model is functional i can change the rest on my own without issues.

BrokeDad

Time to put that Oxy 3 out there for folks Johnny31297. I have the Qube but I didn't create it so I can't post it.