Sorceress Bipe

Boof69

Thought I might move these updates into the designers forum.
I've got a working physics model in RF. Got a real good start on the mapping. This one has some difficult compound contours so it's taking a while. I just have wheels, wheel pants, and cockpit to map. Should be able to get started on the CS late tomorrow.

P.S. @Twoeleven I was hoping you might be able to to put some gauges on the panel for me. Email me if you're interested

Attachments

twoeleven

Shweet. Ya I'd be happy to help out. Dash would be good because the list of projects has become a bit longer now!

Griff
Twoeleven

P.S. I will finish the Goon if you'd like (If it still needs a home), but it would be a late spring or early summer project at this point.

Boof69

twoeleven said:
Shweet. Ya I'd be happy to help out. Dash would be good because the list of projects has become a bit longer now!

Griff
Twoeleven

P.S. I will finish the Goon if you'd like (If it still needs a home), but it would be a late spring or early summer project at this point.

Cool I'll get a map to you soon. It's basically an extra 300 panel. As for the Goon just keep it in mind and when you can do it contact me. I just got my computer going strong so I plan on trying harder on that project. maybe I can get it done before you can get to it.

By the by our Sirius has done well. Your work is great!

Boof69

Thanks Doug I just might do that in the interest of getting this one posted soon.

Boof69

I had a few hours today and I'm actually having fun doing the CS. This is where I've gotten so far. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the normal map close to finished and get this bird posted.

Attachments

bmz_loop

Boof69 said:
I had a few hours today and I'm actually having fun doing the CS. This is where I've gotten so far. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the normal map close to finished and get this bird posted.
Looks very nice. Can't wait for the rivets ;)

12oclockhigh

I saw the plane at the Smithsonian yesterday... I thought it was the same one you were modeling here... It is sweet.

You do know the story about the hole in the canopy? (you have modeled it too large, BTW)... There were requirements for this class of airplane that specified the bi-plane to have to interplane struts and an open cockpit. Struts etc would have required wire rigging (with associated drag), so the designer made cantilever wings and added a false non-structural strut at the end of the wing.

To meet the open cockpit requirement, he left a hole in the canopy just large enough for the pilots helmet to fill when he was in the aircraft. Filling the hole made the aircraft much more aerodynamic and was rather a cheat to meet the class requirements. It worked and he won many races.

Last edited:

12oclockhigh

I see what you are saying... think about a man's head...in a helmet. Will the helmet fill the hole in your canopy? I thought your opening was a bit large for that.

I can get you a closeup picture if you really want...it will take a week or two.

Boof69

That would be great. If you do that there are a few things that I can't make out in these images I have. A few good fotos will really help. #1 The blue writing around "Don Beck" lt. col ? and whatever blue detail in the upper left. #2 The writing aft of #1. #3 I assume this is a list of wins but I cant tell. #4 Can't make out anything on this decal. Is it at all possible to see the left side of her? If so that would be a big help. Thanks for the offer 12oclockhigh

Attachments

Last edited:

Boof69

Tonight's progress includes all the decals I could see in my reference pics an allot of work on the cockpit. The instrument panel isn't finished by any means but it's getting there. What do you think Griff? I haven't scavenged any artwork from anyone yet. I think I spent as much time looking for gauges and such as working on the plane. All of the lettering on this one I had to do by hand since no font I looked at was a match. Still didn't start the normal.tga yet. I figured that's best left until the end. I'm learning allot on this CS.

Attachments

Boof69

I finished up with the C-mesh this morning which gives me a final count of 12556. I'm happy with that number. I don't think I could get it much lower.

Attachments