Stop it!

Cpl_Agarne

Hi all
I'm trying to find out if there is a "freeze" mode in RF 9.5. I'm not interested in a total freeze, just a position freeze, basically pinned to a spot on the ground (can still climb, bank, yaw, change heading and airspeed).
I want use this as a training mode to be able to position the aircraft close in front of me and be able to practice maneuvers and see exactly what it's doing when I move the sticks and fine tune my control.

Thanks

PilotAt6

Don't know of a way to freeze it on the ground. I just use the Chase Camera Mode (F3) and watch it in the air. Use +/- keys to get as close as I want, then sometime hit the number 9 key to engage the heads up display to know if I'm banking and climbing speed etc..

doug schluter

Hi all
I'm trying to find out if there is a "freeze" mode in RF 9.5. I'm not interested in a total freeze, just a position freeze, basically pinned to a spot on the ground (can still climb, bank, yaw, change heading and airspeed).
I want use this as a training mode to be able to position the aircraft close in front of me and be able to practice maneuvers and see exactly what it's doing when I move the sticks and fine tune my control.

Thanks
if you hit "p" it will make where ever you at a temp pilot airplane spawn , if this helps

The console command "lockposition" will do what you are looking for.

You can bind it to a key using the "bind" command in the console. For example: "bind n lockposition". Once this is set, tapping the n key will lock and unlock the aircraft position.

Cpl_Agarne

The console command "lockposition" will do what you are looking for.
Thanks for the reply.
That's getting close. It does lock the aircraft in it's position laterally but it also locks at it's current altitude and locks all axis in whatever state they are at the moment of locking. ie. whatever bank, pitch and yaw it maintained, only throttle is still moveable.
I had a look at the available commands in the console help and didn't see any switches that seemed to apply to the lock function. Is there a manual or source materials for the sim that might go a little deeper into the guts of the sim?
Thanks

I read a little more carefully in your initial request. I think some of your criteria are in conflict with one another. If the aircraft is pinned to a particular point in x and y (achieved with "lockposition x", and "lockposition y", then it will not be free to change airspeed, except by gaining or losing altitude. You could add wind, thereby creating a wind tunnel of sorts, but you won't be able to increase airspeed by increasing the throttle, since the aircraft is not free to move through the air.

Chase cam may be closer to what you're looking for, if you need to watch the aircraft react but also need it to react as it would naturally in flight.

Cpl_Agarne

I'll give those lockposition x and y commands a try and see if I can get some thing going but I'm guessing those are going to lock the airplanes axis x or y and what I want to lock it's position is space laterally. Did you get those switches from a manual or from experimenting? My current workaround is to drive the airplane onto a long final to the runway and hit "P". Then after I land I reset. rinse and repeat. As I start working on different manuvers and skills I'll have to craft other solutions for repetitive training techniques but this is going to have to do for now I guess.

Todays modern sims do such a great job of simulating reality that we forget that the sim doesn't need wind moving past the wing to fly or the prop to create thrust to change "airspeed". Theses are all just mathematical calculations in the physics engine of the sim and any parameter can be simulated independent of whether the "airplane" is moving thru the "air" or the "prop" is producing thrust. With this mode I want you are saying that the airplane is still bound to all the laws of physics but now the air moves by you instead of you moving thru the air. It's kind of the same concept as the hover trainer where you can choose what you have to control and have it sit right in front of you (at least once you get to that level of control).

This function that I'm looking for is a basic function in any serious sims (study level sims). Having taught in real Level D sims for the airlines for 30+ years and played study level sim "games" for almost that long, I may have some possibly unreal expectations about people being able to understand the concept of this function and it's utility in a training situation in this sim. Anyway

Thanks