Setup:
  • Realflight 8
  • Taranis X9D+
  • Same behaviour with Horus X10S
  • Standard USB mini cable to PC

Issue:
  • Throttle acting as a switch
  • Rudder acting as a switch

I am connecting my Taranis to the computer via the standard USB cable. Windows sees the controller and shows the primary four control channels working as expected. This setup works perfectly with Liftoff and other sims.

On Realflight, channels 1 and 2 (Aileron and Elevator) work as expected and come in as "slider" on the mapping page. Channels 3 and 4 (Throttle and Rudder) are acting as switches, either on or off, and come in as "z rotation" and "y rotation", respectively. A screenshot of the mapping page is attached. Note how throttle is off, and rudder is 100%. Touching throttle throws it immediately to 100%. Touching rudder immediately throws it to 0% I have retried calibration countless times with no change in behavior.

My Taranis setup has default controls, so there's no mixing or any other radio setup that should be preventing it to work.

Suggestions? Let me know if you need any additional info or screen caps.

Thanks!

Attachments

legoman

Setup:
  • Realflight 8
  • Taranis X9D+
  • Same behaviour with Horus X10S
  • Standard USB mini cable to PC

Issue:
  • Throttle acting as a switch
  • Rudder acting as a switch

I am connecting my Taranis to the computer via the standard USB cable. Windows sees the controller and shows the primary four control channels working as expected. This setup works perfectly with Liftoff and other sims.

On Realflight, channels 1 and 2 (Aileron and Elevator) work as expected and come in as "slider" on the mapping page. Channels 3 and 4 (Throttle and Rudder) are acting as switches, either on or off, and come in as "z rotation" and "y rotation", respectively. A screenshot of the mapping page is attached. Note how throttle is off, and rudder is 100%. Touching throttle throws it immediately to 100%. Touching rudder immediately throws it to 0% I have retried calibration countless times with no change in behavior.

My Taranis setup has default controls, so there's no mixing or any other radio setup that should be preventing it to work.

Suggestions? Let me know if you need any additional info or screen caps.

Thanks!
see the video in this post

Here's a brief video that demonstrates setting up an 8-axis joystick in RF8.

The mapping system works a bit differently now, so a demo seemed in order.

You don't need to do this for InterLink controllers, or when using the WS1000 dongle with a Spektrum radio. This procedure applies to other controllers that show up as Windows game devices but don't have a built-in profile in RealFlight.

Lost and Found

Thanks, Jeremy,
That's exactly the process I followed. I had reviewed the video, among others, prior to the setup. I went so far as to totally delete the windows game controller setup for the Taranis, delete the RealFlight controller, and then reinstalled both. Same behavior.
The next step for me is to do this on a different computer and see if it behaves differently.
Any other suggestions towards troubleshooting?

Lost and Found

The plot thickens. Setup on another computer, and it behaves as expected. I think it's time to remove the driver, the controller, and RF and start completely over.
I'll update as I find more.

Lost and Found

Issue corrected. I now have all four controls fully proportional and working as expected!
I simply selected a different controller from the list and all controls were working as expected (after reversing a couple of servos), and then saved it under a new profile. Going back to the original controller profile and the problem is still there. I have been unable to recreate the setup process that yielded the problem. It's still a mystery.