Ugly Storm

technoid

I thought I'd take some time tonight and work on the 1x1 mapping but it looks like I need to go back and work on the first pass mapping again. I didn't map some of the parts I knew were recently mapped but it looks like I modified them but didn't remember it. So since I'm tired of working on planes right now I might take a day off and do something else for a while.

technoid

After a good nights sleep and some coffee I started looking at the mapping again. After my brain fog lifted I remembered I modified all the parts that didn't look right so I went back and remapped most of them and did the 1x1 mapping on them too. I still need to remap the fuselage that's one of the parts I didn't remap the first time because it had been mapped recently but I forgot I modified it so it needs to be mapped again. Boy getting old sucks you tend to forget everything. Anyway now I feel better because things are falling into place like they should.

Last edited:

technoid

I started mapping the fuselage and this one is a bit of a problem and requires hand adjustment of all the bulkheads down the side to match each of the parts I create. (top, right side, left side, and bottom) I don't know why but when I map them like normal most of the bulkheads for the balsa structure don't line up from part to part so I'm having to line up each of them by hand. I've done the left side and top but now it's time for dinner and a movie with the wife. But at least I'm getting there the fuselage is the last part and I've been doing the 1x1 mapping as I go so the final mapping should be finished when I get the fuselage done. That will be nice.

Last edited:

technoid

I just finished the mapping and everything looks great. Now I need update the color scheme and spec map with the final mapping. I also need to check the smoothing groups for the internal balsa structure I don't think I did much to it. But at least the final mapping is finished and everything looks good. I might release another beta soon so caua can update his color scheme with the final mapping.

Just so you know when I release another beta don't try to use any color scheme you created with the old beta because the new mapping is VERY different from the old beta and LOTS of stuff is in different places so just create a new color scheme using the CS file from the NEW BETA as your Template. The new beta will have the final mapping so what you create for it will work on the plane when I release it.

technoid

I added the white stripes on the bottom of the wings and they look fine but if you look down through the wing from the top they look black and I'm not sure why. The wing is using the ~CANOPY material type which is transparent and double sided so I expected the stripes to look white from both sides. Anyone have an idea what's happening? Here's a picture to see what I mean. Now from the bottom they look fine (white).

Ugly Storm 56.jpg

Last edited:

technoid

i hear you technoid i go every 2 weeks and have mask on gloves on and distance myself and go at not so busy times , other than that good progress on your Ugly Storm
I tend to go once a week but I'm like you I wear a mask, gloves, and distance myself. I go about 8:00 AM in the morning so not many people there. Then come home and wipe everything down with alcohol wipes and wash all my clothes and take a shower. But lots of people don't wear a mask or gloves.

BrokeDad

I added the white stripes on the bottom of the wings and they look fine but if you look down through the wing from the top they look black and I'm not sure why. The wing is using the ~CANOPY material type which is transparent and double sided so I expected the stripes to look white from both sides. Anyone have an idea what's happening? Here's a picture to see what I mean. Now from the bottom they look fine (white).

View attachment 118980
I actually like it better that way. When I'm flying I use the white of the stripes for orientation. So if I see them I know I'm looking at the bottom of the plane.

BrokeDad

Well it looks like that's the way it will be but they're not always black. As the plane moves around sometimes they turn white and you can see through them some.
I've gotten a lot better with layers lately so no big problem making them stand out on the bottom side more.

technoid

I've gotten a lot better with layers lately so no big problem making them stand out on the bottom side more.
It's odd they always look fine from the bottom (white) but looking from the top down through the wing as you fly or hover they'll turn white sometimes and you can see through them some. I guess it's because you're looking through two layers of glass and RealFlight doesn't render it perfect.

technoid

I thought I was about finished but each time I fix a problem I find another one so there's not much to report except I'm working on it. I did set the Vehicle Graphical Scale to 84% which gives you an 84 inch wingspan with about 24 oz. wing loading and I think the plane looks good at that size, not too large like 100 inch but not small like sitting it to 70% for a 70 inch wingspan like the real plane. To me in the Simulator (RF) things look smaller than I expect them too so increasing the wingspan from 70 to 84 inches seems to give me what I expect the real plane would look like when you fly it. Try setting the Graphical Scale to 70% for a 70 inch wingspan and then try the Graphical Scale at 84 for an 84 inch wingspan and tell me what you think of each one.

Last edited:

technoid

he will like it very much
I sent him a link to the video I made of it and just got a reply from him and he asked about a few things. The canopy, a spinner, and the engine looking a bit small for the plane. So I need to scale up the engine does anyone want to guess how much larger it should be. Like 10%, 20% %30 percent larger I'm not good at scaling engines if I don't have a good close-up picture of the plane with an engine on it. But he watched the video I uploaded to youtube and said he liked the plane a lot so I definitely need to create a 70 inch wingspan version of it so it will be accurate.