WARNING CHINA IS USING YOUR MODELS

edge v3

Hey guys just wanted to put a warning out there that a Chinese company is using models from here to reproduce them in real life a friend of mine created his own foamie design for real flight a few weeks later its been copied and sold in china aswell as a few others he made :(

12oclockhigh

Edge v3 and Friends,
Can you provide any proof of that? It seems a bit far-fetched. There is not enough information in the model to prepare for production molding. I would love to see some proof.

marcushh777

There is not enough information in the model to prepare for production molding.
There is plenty enough information in the model to prepare for production molding, as anyone should know who has done any work at all from CAD to production on anything.

In fact, China has been doing this in every area of technology from Arm processing boards to knock-off Apple ear-buds.

@edge v3 , I don't specifically have a problem with it. Once you upload your work to the open Internet its fair game; I like to think of it along the lines of "copy" is the best form of flattery.

marcus

space boy

Hey guys just wanted to put a warning out there that a Chinese company is using models from here to reproduce them in real life a friend of mine created his own foamie design for real flight a few weeks later its been copied and sold in china aswell as a few others he made :(
@edge v3 , I'd like to see that Chinese company's attempt at reproduction. Post a link, please.

Last edited:

edge v3

Edge v3 and Friends,
Can you provide any proof of that? It seems a bit far-fetched. There is not enough information in the model to prepare for production molding. I would love to see some proof.
here’s some images of the Chinese copy I will post the actual plane in another reply

Attachments

12oclockhigh

Edge v3 and Friends,
I would say that if the artwork was an exact copy, you might have something. It might be the basis of a copyright claim. Now that it was released to the public, those rights are probably null and void. Being a profile plane, I really don't think anyone had ownership rights for the profile.

Edge, you are spot on about the value of IP. Giving all this work to KE is not the smartest thing in the world to do with your work product.

marcushh777

... about the value of IP. Giving all this work to KE is not the smartest thing in the world to do with your work product.
I disagree. The Intellectual Property we're talking about here are mostly hobby one-offs (very talented for sure) but not really worth much outside this small and tight community. Some IP infringement (if you even believe in IP, and I don't, especially software) might be worth fighting for in court, not most... which is why China gets away with this all the time. Its just not worth it to pursue... the cost of international litigation (among other costs) far eclipses the value of the IP; just not worth it.

marcus

PilotAt6

Not sure how I feel about all this.
Some planes posted on this site I would love to see as RC models.
If a US based company would even attempt to make new models, they would most likely have them produced in China then mark them up as most middle men do for profit.
The only down side I see is the ( U.S.) middle man losing money ... however, the US distributor would make money and RC modelers would get a new plane. Most of what we are purchasing is from China. What really changes ... as Freddie Mercury said ... " nothing really matters to me " (Bohemian Rhapsody) ... Bad Attitude ???