Well, I'm diving in.

csgill75

I am going through the Box Trainer to create models in Realflight. I did this a couple years ago but I have forgotten much of what I learned. I am also not bothering with 7.5 and will only be creating for RF-X mainly because I don't have the older version of Max and I like not having a small Poly Limit. I'll still try to keep them to a minimum but right now, I am making a Box Trainer!

Attachments

csgill75

Thanks. I can already see a few things are different in the 2017 version vs the 2012 version in the video. I don't think it's going to be a problem though I can still make shapes. Menu items look different though.

csgill75

Thanks guys. I have the next 3 weeks off from work so plenty of time to get the box trainer into the sim. I remember how to make the shapes and manipulate the model in max. I need to learn everything else though.

technoid

Once you get familiar with the basics, I'd highly recommend following along with this series that Scott did. This way you get to see what a lot of the tools are capable of.

https://youtu.be/IX5aHbVxmAA
Yeah there's some great information on Photoshop in the first one I've just been watching it, lots of shortcuts I didn't know about. Ha.. I'm one of those guys that learns a few things and just keeps using them when there lots more stuff to make it easier if I take the time to learn it. So yeah I'm sure watching his whole ride along series would be well worth it. I'm just finishing up the first one and will probably watch the others too so I can sharpen up my skills even more. Scott has sure done a lot for the RealFlight community.

doug schluter

Yeah there's some great information on Photoshop in the first one I've just been watching it, lots of shortcuts I didn't know about. Ha.. I'm one of those guys that learns a few things and just keeps using them when there lots more stuff to make it easier if I take the time to learn it. So yeah I'm sure watching his whole ride along series would be well worth it. I'm just finishing up the first one and will probably watch the others too so I can sharpen up my skills even more. Scott has sure done a lot for the RealFlight community.
sounds good csgill75 that your learning how to model , haha that sounds like me technoid i do see gimp has layers that i should learn more about

csgill75

I briefly looked at those videos about photoshop which will be the software that I will use. I have a Creative Cloud subscription for the Lightroom software which I use for my quadcopter photos and part of the subscription is Photoshop CC.

Boof69

I think that the changes from 1012 to 2017 are mainly just icon changes. I haven't ran into any real changes that would prevent you following my videos.

csgill75

First Progress Shot

Well I spent about 45 minutes in Max today, Got most of the aircraft laid out. This is still my Box Trainer I am just making it a little different shaped. I still have to work on the tail sections and get a better shape to them. I tried a couple standard shapes, and I didn't like them. I think i will go for something forward swept like what you would see on a Mooney Bravo or something like that. I still need to build the landing gear. hopefully I will get that finished later tonight or tomorrow. All parts are named According to the training video.

I had to install a second Monitor on my computer so that I can have the video playing on one side and Max on my main screen. That made it a lot easier than trying to maneuver 2 windows.

Attachments

technoid

Well I spent about 45 minutes in Max today, Got most of the aircraft laid out. This is still my Box Trainer I am just making it a little different shaped. I still have to work on the tail sections and get a better shape to them. I tried a couple standard shapes, and I didn't like them. I think i will go for something forward swept like what you would see on a Mooney Bravo or something like that. I still need to build the landing gear. hopefully I will get that finished later tonight or tomorrow. All parts are named According to the training video.

I had to install a second Monitor on my computer so that I can have the video playing on one side and Max on my main screen. That made it a lot easier than trying to maneuver 2 windows.
Boy I sure remember going through that video I had a great time with it and at the end I released my first plane, Boxie Flyer. Then nine days later I released Boxie Flier to fix some problems it had. So my first two planes were from that video.

Boof69

You'll never go back to a single monitor now. Ha

csgill75

What kind of models interest you csgill?
The models That I ultimately want to tackle would be the early X planes from the USAF/NACA/NASA. They were simple but important. I am intrigued on how they would fly in realflight given some of their unique shapes.

Right now My modeling looks more akin to something built out of LEGO but Its all about learning how to use Max for me right now. I already started over on the box trainer. I didn't like the proportions of what I was doing. I did get a Fuselage, Wings, and tail put together much faster than the first try so it is getting easier. Now I am learning how to shape things to make it look better instead of just squared off edges and I am rounding off leading edges and tapering off the trailing edges to their respective control surfaces. I have paused the video for now and just getting into making the shapes I want. I will pick up the video tomorrow.

csgill75

My second attempt at the Box Trainer. I like this one better. I know I should probably be just getting a file into realflight but why not make it look a little better than a lego plane? It is still a very crude model.

One of the things I would like to figure out is, rather than do like I did with the Ailerons, I would like to try to cut out the elevator and rudder from what I have existing. I like the look of the forward sweep to the tail. I imagine there is a tutorial on how to do that, I just haven't come across it yet.

This gets addictive, this modeling thing. I keep going over this model in my head about how I want to finish it I know where I want to ultimately be with modeling, I just need to go through the progression of getting there. I'll probably take the route Technoid did and just create scratch built models from my head to start with, eventually get into the scale stuff. I feel that route will get me familiar with the tools in Max and more comfortable using it.

Attachments

Last edited: