XF-3D

technoid

I added the rest of the collision mesh this morning before I only had it for the landing gear so I could fly it and create the physics. So one more step finished before releasing a beta. I found a problem I want to fix before I release a beta so just a bit longer.

I thought I'd mention this now so you'll know what to expect from the beta when I release it. The main landing gear retracts into the outside edge of the fuselage so the track isn't very wide so you'll need to be careful of the speed when you turn or the plane will tip over. Also to get the gear to retract the way I wanted I had to make custom retracts which doesn't use the normal method (think moveable pods for control) which works fine in RF-9 but has the sticking problem in RF-X we've seen before. So in RF-X just give it lots of throttle and take off, and it might hop as it goes down the runway before you take off. It does use Springy Scale Retracts so I'm not quite sure why (except for using moveable pods to control the retracts).

Also the Afterburner is control by the Throttle and kicks in right at 95 percent so if you move the throttle back 1 click the Afterburner will drop out. (if you have a click in the throttle) The straight and level speed without the afterburner is right at 135 and with the afterburner it's right at 170. Also when the Afterburner kicks in the exhaust is a little louder and is also thicker and darker. (like you saw in the video)

asj5547

Looking forward to flying the XF-3D.
No problem with runway sticking in RF-X , I know your the model will fly great and more than make up for any minor ground handling issues.
Will be a great platform to go Sierra Desert exploring, I guess you will be installing a scenery camera. ?

technoid

Looking forward to flying the XF-3D.
No problem with runway sticking in RF-X , I know your the model will fly great and more than make up for any minor ground handling issues.
Will be a great platform to go Sierra Desert exploring, I guess you will be installing a scenery camera. ?
I just finished adjusting the pilot seat and plane left and right views but I haven't added the Cinema Cam yet, but I plan to add it before I release a beta. I flew it in RF-X this morning after I finished the collision mesh and I like it in RF-X it's quiet and fast.

technoid

Okay here's a beta for you to play with. Don't forget one important thing. The mapping I did was very crude I just selected entire parts and mapped them so I could get some color on it while I worked. So when I do the final mapping "every" major part of the plane will change drastically so don't make a color scheme you don't mind throwing away. And of course since both sides of the parts were mapped together any text you put on it will be mirrored on the other side backwards. But you can make a color scheme as long as you know it's only temporary.

1. Afterburner enabled when throttle about 95 percent. Lower throttle 1 or 2 clicks to disable afterburner.

* Afterburner off level speed about 135.
* Afterburner on level speed about 170. (exhaust a little louder, thicker, and darker)

2. Canopy opens using Channel 6 knob.

3. Smoke On - Channel 8 Switch forward.

4. Brakes controlled using Down Elevator.

* The plane tail lifts up when lading using a lot of braking.

NOTE: To get the landing gear to operate the way I wanted I had to create custom retracts which work fine in RF-9 but has a problem with the nose gear sticking in RF-X so just give it quite a bit of throttle to take off. I did use springy scale retracts so I'm not sure what's going on but it might have something to do with me using moveable pods on the retracts. The intakes and exhaust aren't painted yet but will be at release. And the wheel wells haven't been created yet.

XF-3D 29.jpg

Attachments