Go Back   Knife Edge > Coming Soon > Acro FS
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Question Recommended HW for Acro FS?

I've been experimenting with VR in the X-Plane 11 beta (which I believe was released today as 11.20). Initially I used my iPhone 6+ in a Noon headset, connecting to X-Plane through the multiple bank shots of iVRy, iTunes (tethered to the iPhone), and Steam VR. It was a good "pilot study" to validate that it could work, but the Noon headset did not produce an acceptable image (I wear glasses). I returned the Noon to Best Buy yesterday (big kudos to Best Buy for a no hassle return; I'll certainly buy my next headset from them).

I'm on the verge of buying an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive headset. Is there one of these better for using Acro FS (and X-Plane)? My system "passed" the Oculus capability test.

Will more RAM (I have 16 GB) improve performance? I can go to 24 GB. I have an NVIDIA 1080 graphics card.

Will X-Plane airplane models be usable in Acro FS? I've been flying a SuperD model (because I own a SuperD) in X-Plane. Will Acro FS need Acro FS models?
Old 05-10-2018, 03:01 PM

Acro FS is a little easier on your system than RF-X, but not a lot. For good performance on a monitor at 1080p, you'll want a strong processor and a GTX1060 or equivalent.

With that hardware, it will be playable on an Rift or Vive, but not perfectly smooth. With a reference GTX1080, we get smooth VR on these headsets.

Higher-resolution headsets like the Vive Pro and some WMR headsets will need even more horsepower for smooth play.

In terms of decision between them, most of us prefer the Rift to the Vive. Performance is a little bit better and the headset ergonomics are much better.

The Vive, on the other hand, is much brighter, which some enjoy.

If at all possible, try them both with the same game before you decide. Both are pretty darn amazing.

Phone-based headsets are not recommended at this point. They may not even work.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 AM

Samsung WMR

Hi Guys I can say on my i7 8700K OC to 5ghz and GTX 1080 TI OC and my Samsung Odyssey it works a dream, no stutters, no tears just fluid like I am actually in an Aeroplane. No Complaints at all, ZERO.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:48 AM

Smile Prefer the Samsung VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sebens View Post
Acro FS is a little easier on your system than RF-X, but not a lot. For good performance on a monitor at 1080p, you'll want a strong processor and a GTX1060 or equivalent.

With that hardware, it will be playable on an Rift or Vive, but not perfectly smooth. With a reference GTX1080, we get smooth VR on these headsets.

Higher-resolution headsets like the Vive Pro and some WMR headsets will need even more horsepower for smooth play.

In terms of decision between them, most of us prefer the Rift to the Vive. Performance is a little bit better and the headset ergonomics are much better.

The Vive, on the other hand, is much brighter, which some enjoy.

If at all possible, try them both with the same game before you decide. Both are pretty darn amazing.

Phone-based headsets are not recommended at this point. They may not even work.

Jeremy the Samsung is bloody awesome and I also have the Vive Pro and I can tell you that's just as good visually. I don't have a RIFT but I do know the Vive Pro and The Samsung have much higher res screens so I doubt the Rift would be as good.

The Vive Pro is better at tracking in games if you move around but IMHO the Samsung is perfect for sit down games like Flight sims and given its plug and play compared to 2 days of setting up lighthouses and all the other crap with the Vive pro the Samsung is better value and it is just almost plug and play with Steam.

You do need an overclocked i7 8700K and Oc GTX 1080 TI to drive them both perfectly well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: