Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:46 AM

How to adjust VR resolution in 8.00.052

In 8.00.052 (and .044) we've made some changes to the way that VR scaling is handled. This was in order to
  • account for changes in the SteamVR and Oculus API's
  • offer more control to RealFlight users
  • prevent some user confusion

VR scaling is also sometimes called VR quality, or VR supersampling, but it all boils down to the same thing - feed your headset more (or fewer) pixels in order to balance performance and quality.

This first post will cover adjusting the behavior for your Oculus headset, and I'll follow up with the procedure for SteamVR.

Adjusting VR resolution for OculusVR:
  1. From RealFlight, open the console (~ key)
  2. Type the command oculusVRResolutionScale (or type "oc" and press Tab)
  3. Press Enter. The current value will be displayed (default 1, or no scaling)
  4. To change the value simply type the same command followed by a number between .25 and 5.

Higher values mean a higher-resolution image sent to your headset. This might look better depending on your rig, but will decrease performance. Always work to keep your framerate at 90fps. If it drops to 45fps, the airplane may start to double in your vision, and other things obviously won't be as smooth.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:11 PM

Adjusting VR resolution for SteamVR:

For SteamVR, resolution adjustment is performed in the SteamVR application, not RealFlight. To do so:
  1. Locate your SteamVR status window, and click the pulldown in the upper left (attachment 1)
  2. Select Settings
  3. In the dialog that appears, select Applications on the left, and find RealFlight 8 in the list (attachment 2)
  4. You may freely move the scaling slider to try different resolution scales.
Attached Images
File Type: png SteamVR app.PNG (6.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Scaling setting.PNG (20.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Jeremy Sebens; 10-29-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:32 PM

Many thanks Jeremy. I have the RF8 download version form Tower. I followed your instructions and found that with my system I was able to increase SS to 1.35 using the RF8 console and still maintain 90fps everywhere. VR resolution with 800.052, while still not all that great, is now ~ the same as the previous 800.023 version. Thanks again mate!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: